kevin922

Police shooting in Louisana

but he got what was coming to him as he brought that on himself. If he had stopped like normal,sane people do when the police tell you to stop his ass wouldn't of gotten shot, no matter what his color.

totaly agree..... you run from the cops, you get what ya deserve...........

many of you missed the point. The police were chasing the guy in a car because he was drunk and weaving all over the road. If he was drunk enough, they should have taken him without machine gun fire. Even IF he had a gun, he seemed to drunk to know which end to point.

You know....there is a lot of surface area on a body to shoot. And, shooting someone in the back is pathetic. Shoot the person in the leg - they go down. Shoot 'em in the ass - again, they'll go down. Shooting 'em in the back - you should get shot. >:( And, if their aim sucks - go get training on how to use the gun.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

many of you missed the point. The police were chasing the guy in a car because he was drunk and weaving all over the road. If he was drunk enough, they should have taken him without machine gun fire. Even IF he had a gun, he seemed to drunk to know which end to point.

Drunk = unpredictable and he was sober enough to pull away from the police when they tried to grab him.

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

I'm sorry but that is just sad if the cops can't tell the difference between a gun and a cell phone. I understand there all jacked up on adrinalin b/c of the car chase and an agitated suspect, but come on!
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

I am not sure where my opinion lies here. In this case probably with the cops. But that is only after learning how to deal with cops through bad experiences. I remember when I was 17. Once I was hanging out with a couple if freinds in my pick-up truck. One was a banana head blond boy who caused all my problems that day and the other was a typical dark haired guy like myself. Anyway the blond guy decided to stand up in the back of my truck and the police didn't like this so I got pulled over. Oh and then there was an arguement that had taken place just a little before in which he got off my truck and chased some guy on foot for a couple of blocks. Anyway when we got pulled over I imediately got two seat belt tickets and one for riding in parts not intended (for what that idiot blond boy did in my truck). Had I stayed quiet this entire fiasco would have caused me about$200. worth of tickets. But I was pissed and for that reason it ended up costing more that $1,000. and a very unpleasant evening. Seat belts back then were still a secondary law and were only used by cops who wanted to screw somebody. I didn't believe I should have to pay for this idiot standing up in the back of my truck after all I couldn't expect him to do that. So I made my feelings vocal and before you knew it since I was under 18 they were able to take me in for no good reason and force my parents to come pick me up. So they did and during that time I got more pissed. I remember telling the cop I felt like I was in Russia and my rights were being trampled. He then decided to handcuff me to the floor and threatened to beat the shit out me (while I was in handcuffs ofcourse). At that point I used every four letter word I could think of directed to him as well as to the entire police station. I thought they are going to injure me but hell if they are going to get me to yield. They key words I remember here and will never forget was his captain telling him Joey (Joseph Scalla was his name) you can't hit him he is only 17. I will always wonder what the hell did that meant? That I would have been dead if I was a few months older? Why? Is it easier for parents to sue a police station? In anycase his captain didn't say you can't handcuff somebody to the floor and then beat the shit of them because they pissed you off. He said, "Don't hit him he is only 17."
Anyway after that I learned the basic rule that I have used to this day, "If a cop pulls you over, shut up and do what he tells you too and you will have less problems that way."
If I could make a wish, I think I'd pass.
Can't think of anything I need
No cigarettes, no sleep, no light, no sound.
Nothing to eat, no books to read.

I was white and from Chicago. I was a Yankee

Well no wonder you were being hassled, I thought maybe they just walked up to you on the street corner and started fucking with you for no reason.

Awright, guys, you don't have one, so don't act like one

I'm sorry but that is just sad if the cops can't tell the difference between a gun and a cell phone. I understand there all jacked up on adrinalin b/c of the car chase and an agitated suspect, but come on!

Think about that for a second. Did you remember everything that happened on your first jump? You were there right? So you should be totally aware of everything that transpired on that jump.

Here you have several LEOs in a already stressful situation compounded by low light and an uncooperative suspect who is attempting to get away and in the process is also pointing something at them. They have to make decissions in 100ths of seconds as to how to handle an escalating situation. For all we know, from the officers perspective it might of appeared that the guy had a weapon and was indeed a viable threat to his safety, other officers and the general public. They did what they thought was the right thing at that point in time to remove a threat.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Ya know,
Darned if ya do, dead if ya don't. Hmm......
Would I have shot, the answer would be maybe. Without going into a long rant and getting pissed off, nobody on this thread was there. With that said, several (in this case 8) shots are fairly common in shootings where there are several officers present, it's called sympathic fire, I haven't seen the video (my PC here has the wrong media player and I can't update it) but, if a suspect is uncompliant and turns suddenly after chase with something resembling a gun in his hand, he's fair game. Once I shoot, the other officers are probally going to shoot (sympathic fire). With that said, if I'm able to see in that split-second that it's a cell phone in his hands, I don't shoot. No easy answer here. As far as shooting him in the leg goes, give me a break! Under that level of stress a person is lucky to hit anything, thats why police are trained to shoot center mass, it increased the likelyhood of hitting the target.
By the way, you can see for yourself some officers who may have hesitated a bit too long in a situation like this. Also there are some officers on this site that did everything right and still had the same outcome.
www.odmp.com

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

i watched the movie over and over and saw that the cops opened fire a split second after the guy spun around and pointed at the officer on the left. Dumb move on the suspects side of things.

whats your opinion on taking out a knee instead of going for center mass?

Odds are you wouldn't hit it or if you did, it wouldn't be disabling and if he had a gun like you thought, you'd be dead.

whats your opinion on taking out a knee instead of going for center mass?

You could fire BACK if shot on the knee, besides, perps don't shoot to wound but to KILL, got it?

if you can't hit a part of his legs at arms length then your a bad aim and need to go to the range. I understand the risk of being shot, but then again the only shot that will 100% sure way is a head shot.

My understanding about shooting the body is it's easier to hit & the idea is to cause disabling loss of blood/pressure.

thats true but unless you hit his spine or something theres a good chance he/she could shoot back.

You know....there is a lot of surface area on a body to shoot. And, shooting someone in the back is pathetic. Shoot the person in the leg - they go down. Shoot 'em in the ass - again, they'll go down.

That's the fast route to prison. If you are shooting at someone it better be because you feel your life is in danger. If you have the ability to aim a shot under a stressful situation with the purpose of wounding them, then obviously you were not under direct and immediate threat so you shouldn't have shot in the first place.

If you think someone is dangerous enough to shoot at, you'd better shoot them until they are down or dead, and that's not going to happen with a shot to the leg, especially since you'll probably miss.

Have you ever fired a gun? You've been watching too many movies. Handguns are the most difficult to master and least accurate firearms. Shooting a moving target in the leg is only going to happen when you aim at the middle of their chest and miss.

Not to mention the fact that there's a good chance the bullet will pass through the leg and hit someone else further down the line.

Shoot the person in the leg - they go down. Shoot 'em in the ass - again, they'll go down.

People take full clips in the chest and don't go down. A bullet hitting you is not going to knock you down. The shock of being shot might make you fall down, but the force of the round won't. The only thing that's going to stop you is when you can't pump enough blood to keep your body moving. And the only way to drain enough blood quickly to accomplish that is multiple rounds to the center of the body, severing the spinal column, or a shot in the brain.

Viking,

If you've read the gun control debates, you'll know I am no big fan of personal handgun ownership. But we aren't talking about that here, and I have to pitch in my $.02.

Have you ever fired a handgun? Have you ever received professional (military, police, etc.) training on it? It isn't easy like in the movies.

The military taught me to aim for the center of mass to kill people. You don't aim at the head, because while a hit is more effective there, you are dramatically raising your chance of missing. A shot more than about 4 inches high, right or left would leave them uninjured and shooting back at you. An equally off shot aimed center of mass is still a hit directly to the torso. After the first hit, then maybe you can be picky, but get the first shot in to take them down.

Any law enforcement folks care to corroborate?

You watch too much TV dude! The real world is not even close to the range.
Skydivers by nature know how to overcome fear, everybody on here has a one-up on most cops, their first jump. Imagine the fear and stress of your first jump, thats what it feels like in these shoot or don't shoot situations. Now while remembering those first jump jitters and fear, throw in a split second decision (shoot/don't shoot), then a physical reaction along with a complex motor function (actually shooting). This is done in seconds, alot shorter time than most skydiving malfunctions. I've had two malfunctions, I was way more scared in the shoot/don't shoot situations than the malfunctions.
In my 16yrs of law enforcement I've had several shoot/don't shoot situations. Luckily they all were no shoot outcomes. In two cases my mind was made up to shoot, it was up to the suspect and his (and one time hers) actions that dictated my response. In one instance I would have been wrong, these are the kind of things inner-city cops deal with on a sometimes daily basis.

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

Well, not law enforcement but I am former military and my brother is a cop in Ft. Worth and a former MP for the ARMY and you are dead-on with everything I heard both from training and from him talking.

You shoot in a way that offers you the greatest chance to hit your target. A torso shot might still allow someone to shoot back, but an injured person is MUCH less likely to score a return shot than someone you missed by trying to target a specific body area.

Yeah, it's fine, we'll walk down the line. Leave our rain, a cold trade for warm sunshine
You my friend, I will defend... and if we change, well, I love you anyway

My father was a narcotics detective, I grew up the woods of Louisiana, yes i can shoot a handgun accurately. No i have never been to a Police or Military training course.

Fast target acquisition is one of the difficulties in stressful situations with being accurate.