Vallerina

Healthy beers

I will get the article from my dad tonight or if he happens to call. He saved it on his computer so my mom has no complaints when hey pays an arm and a leg for Guiness instead of whatever is on sale. I think it is on his Adobe because he scanned it from a paper in Ireland, but maybe if I search for it on the net I cn find it. I have nothing else better to do...
Kathryn

Heh, I consider it a personal mission to debunk beer myths, hense my focus on calories.

Darker beers are darker for one of two reasons:

1) they added stuff. "Strawberry blonde", or "coffee porter", or "honey weiss" - you can guess what was added.

2) a darker malt was used. What's a malt?

Start with plain ole' barley. Soak the grain in water until it germinates. As soon as the seeds germinate, pull the grain from the water, and bake. Barley gets baked a few tons at a time in huge ovens. Barley varies a bit by species, but the biggest differences come from what temperature, and how long they're baked for. Once the baking is done, the barley is known as "malt", or specifically "malted barley".

So... if the beer is darker because stuff was added, sure - I'll buy the idea that there's more nutritional content.

If the beer is darker because they used a darker malt, well - buy it because it tasts good, not because it's any healthier. Baking wet grains do not make them healthier.

Remember - all beers, bud, bud light, or guiness are all whole grain. There is no refined white flour used in the beer business.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

So, if they add oatmeal, that means it's healthier, right? (I'm just looking for an excuse to spend more money buying it...)

Actually, buying some for your friends will make you feel happy and better about yourself, and raise your endorphines, so thats very healthy.B|
Remster

I've always heard that darker beers were "healthier," but you hear a lot of crazy things. I would love to read the article about Guiness and its vitamins, but I don't think I could drink that still....it tastes like coffee with maple syrup.

The only thing that I've heard about darker beers being "healthier" is the fact that they have more flavonoids than lighter beers. Apparently the same is true for red wine. Never quite understood the explanation, but flavonoids help in fighting heart disease. Do a google search on "beer wine flavonoids." Here's an interesting site that I found...

http://www.beerandhealth.com/index_eng.jsp?Page=actueel&Doc=actueel

-P
__
"Scared of love, love and aeroplanes...falling out, I said takes no brains." -- Andy Partridge (XTC)

Actually, buying some for your friends will make you feel happy and better about yourself, and raise your endorphines, so thats very healthy.

I'll send you some beer right after I set that webcam back up! :P

Thanks, Piriya! I'll look into that flavanoids thing.

I've got better endorphone-raising activities in mind...

:o I did, too, but I couldn't get into the MSF class! :P
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

Now for some good beers, I live in St. Louis and there's 2 excellent micro brews here, Morgan St. Brewery and Schlafly bottling works. My personal favorite is Schlafly Pale Ale, a full bodied beer with a mild aftertaste. My dad hates me for drinking them, hes been a machinist at Anheuser Busch for 25 years now.

There's no truer sense of flying than sky diving," Scott Cowan

OK, as a home brewer I have to chime in here:

Home brewed beers still have the brewers yeast in them, and are therefore more nutritious than commercial beers that have been filtered and pasteurized. They are the way beer was back in ancient times. In ancient Mesopotamia, people ate very little meat, and beer was a major source of vitamin B12. You get a lotta B vitamins with homebrew, that's why you rarely get hungover from drinking it. (Hey, why do you think they call them "B vitamins"??B|)

As for Dark beers:

there seem to be some misconceptions. first of all: malt is barley that has almost been sprouted(germinated). Period. It is still called malt whether you afterwards roast it or not.

when you brew a dark beer, like a porter or a stout, you use some dark-roasted malt, but the base malt is always unroasted barley malt. Why? You cannot mash if all your grain is roasted. Roasting will denature the enzymes necessary to chop up the carbohydrate chains into sugars.

So when you brew 5 gallons of a dark beer, you might have seven or more pounds of unroasted malt (your "base malt") and then another pound of dark-roasted malt, for the dark color and flavor.

anyway, to answer Vallerina's question: lite beer sucks. I'd like to remind people that the question seemed to be what beer is most nutritious. And carbohydrates are a nutrient.

as for commercial beers, Guinness is probably better than most. Guinness is actually a lighter bodied, low calorie stout, low alcohol (4.2%)compared to most stouts that I've had from home brewers & microbreweries. But Guinness also makes Guinness Extra Stout, which is sold in 12 oz. bottles, and is 7.5% alcohol.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

I was under the impression that "most" beers especially lagers were chemical replicas - is that not true (fosters, heinekin, steller etc?).

I know that Budweisser and alot of German beers are "pure" i.e they are 100% natural ingredients with no preservatives.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I was under the impression that "most" beers especially lagers were chemical replicas - is that not true (fosters, heinekin, steller etc?).

I'm ashamed to say that I live in the city from where the swill of the south (Fosters) originated. I doubt Fosters is made in a brewery - more likely a laboratory. The stuff is feral and if the UN doesn't have sanctions prohibiting such chemical agents it sure should have.

Coopers on the other hand has a range of beers that are well worth sampling. They've even got sone decent recipes on their site, those for Coopers Dark Ale are especially delish...:)http://www.coopers.com.au

Drink only REAL beer - even if you have to brew it yourself. Life is far too short to be wasted on the likes of fosters, etc.

Ooroo
Mark F...

But Guinness also makes Guinness Extra Stout, which is sold in 12 oz. bottles, and is 7.5% alcohol.

Yep - that stuff is a meal unto itself.....
I drank one bottle and felt like I had just been grazing in the pasture.
Scars remind us that the past is real

I'm ashamed to say that I live in the city from where the swill of the south (Fosters) originated. I doubt Fosters is made in a brewery - more likely a laboratory. The stuff is feral and if the UN doesn't have sanctions prohibiting such chemical agents it sure should have.

Everywhere I travel I'm always entertained by how strong the distate for the local market leader is. When I was in france, Kronenburg sucked. When I was in Belgian, there really is nothing worse then Stella Artois. In Canada, Molson Canadian is complete swill, and in Mexico, god forbid you be seen drinking a Corona. Strangely, everyone seems to hate their local market leader, but odly people seem to buy it. I'm not sure I understand this disconect. Either the local market leader sucks, or it doesn't. Which is it?

Secondly, I'm entertained by the notion that in America, Fosters is imported.... from Canada. Fosters in the US is brewed and bottled by "FBG" - (supposed to be Fosters Brewing Group), but in actuality is a wholly olwned subsidiary of Molson. Fosters sold in Canada and the US are brewed and bottle at Molson's etobicoke plant, the one right near the Toronto Airport.

As such, while actual recipies are protected to an extent you wouldn't believe, I can tell you that nothing more then wheat, water, barley, malt, with the possible addition of corn, honey, brown sugar, mollasses, or coffee goes into a Fosters, as those are the only ingredients which pass through the shipping and receiving docks at that particular plant.

_Am
__

I was actually a home brewer before I worked for Molson.

Commercialy filtered beer is a very good source of B vitamins.

As for the malt, by definition it has been germinated but not sprouted. A batch of barley must be completely germinated, the MBAA (master brewers association of america) dictates that 95% germination is a minimum, and the barley must be discarded if this is not met. I know that Molson follows this guideline. The difference between a grain which has germinated but not sprouted is big - a sprouted grain has growth that has broken through a layer called the "Pericarp". A properly germinated grain has no growth visible.

It is true that malt is not necesarily roasted, but that certainly is not the norm. Almost all malts are roasted to a degree, its just that some are roasted lightly. At the very least, the roasting process is used to dry the kernel, as the germinating usually takes place is a tank of warm water.

Most beers use at least 5 different malts, some as much as 10. It is true that brewers use a base of lighter malts, but these most certainly are roasted, albeit shortly.

Malting is a very tight specialty, and it is almost always done offsite by a third party, such as "Canada Malting". Both major brewers and homebrewer in North America frequently use malt from Canada Malting. Its critical that the malt be dried (usually dried in an oven) or it will grow mold in transit.

_Am (or, as craichead has been calling me today Brew[Monkey]).
__

it is so cute the way you word things! ;) i swear vallerina ~ i really enjoy reading your posts b/c you are so interesting...

i like corona and corona lite ~ in my opinion it tastes the lightest....hehehehe....plus the lime is a nice garnish.... but i am not sure if it Really is the lightest??? hmmmmm.....

i think it is cool that you are so pretty, and love drinking beer...that's sweet :P

~ meL* Pink Mafia / Tunnel Mafia Sister

it is so cute the way you word things! ;) i swear vallerina ~ i really enjoy reading your posts b/c you are so interesting...

Oh my gosh!!! I had to bump this up because I didn't know anyone liked my posts or thought I was interesting! Wait....you're not being sarcastic like the rest of them, are you?

i like corona and corona lite ~ in my opinion it tastes the lightest....hehehehe....plus the lime is a nice garnish.... but i am not sure if it Really is the lightest??? hmmmmm.....

I used to love Corona....I think I loved it too much, though, and I can't drink it anymore (puked it numerous times....the last one really did me in, though!)

i think it is cool that you are so pretty, and love drinking beer...that's sweet :P

Wow!!! You are way too nice! I rarely get such nice compliments from girls! Thanks! You made my day!

And I'm sticking with the oatmeal stout...it has oatmeal in it, so it must be healthy! :ph34r:
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning