DrewEckhardt

Fibula, femur, or fatality (105 elliptical 1.3 PSF 127 jumps)

>I'm willing to bet I'd get the same flak on a Cobalt 120 or 135.

Personally I would reduce my flak by at least 97% if you traded up to a 135! That would be a good idea (IMO.) I might still give you grief on something else; you never know.

Heck I'd cut it by 68.9% if he went to a 120 even.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Chris,

I haven't been following this thread, just now getting caught up on current postings....

People can be harsh in these forums, but know it is because no one wants to see another friend get hurt.

If you would like I will trade you a 120 or larger demo cobalt for your 105.

Be safe.

-Daniel

WOW! That's a hell of an offer. You don't get industry interacting and caring like this in many areas of life... Nice one! :)

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

Chris..

Do it! Ok, so a 120 is still a small canopy, but the difference between that and your 105 is HUGE!!!

Consider it, man.

Really? Small chicks are flying 120s here, from 80+ jumps....

Really? No one said that was smart either.

Chris..

Do it! Ok, so a 120 is still a small canopy, but the difference between that and your 105 is HUGE!!!

Consider it, man.

Really? Small chicks are flying 120s here, from 80+ jumps....

Really? No one said that was smart either.

Agreed. What are these S&TA's thinking is the bigger question.

Please, please, please man dont think like a drunk driver. They never think about they man they could kill, that has a wife and three kids at home( that solely depend on him for an income/life.) By the way i am that guy with a wife and three kid that depend on me. you will never forgive yourself if you kill that type of man or any other human. Brother please take the offer and keep our skys safer. You have all your life to become a canopy pilot. Dont increase your chances of taking someones life from them.

thats a pretty public offer to not follow up...

the 120 would fly pretty swell as well and I think that if JP is willing to give 68.7% less flack thats saying a lot

the 135 might be nice to have above your head if the shit hits the fan and you know what with the right technique could be hella fun as well even at your loading...

Cheers

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

>Small chicks are flying 120s here, from 80+ jumps....

And people are flying wingsuits way before 200 jumps. Turns out that's not always such a good idea, even if "everyone's doing it."

They have a problem that none is designing special canopy for them, which could be more forgiving and less sensitive.

And people are flying wingsuits way before 200 jumps. Turns out that's not always such a good idea, even if "everyone's doing it."

They have a problem that none is designing special canopy for them, which could be more forgiving and less sensitive.

They could simply fly bigger canopies that are more forgiving & less sensitive, especially with low jump numbers. Watching fresh-off-student-status people marching to the plane with TJNs / W-5s on their backs is truly unsettling.

They could simply fly bigger canopies that are more forgiving & less sensitive, especially with low jump numbers. Watching fresh-off-student-status people marching to the plane with TJNs / W-5s on their backs is truly unsettling.

I don't think that its fair to be ground by wind limits, just because your exit weight/WL.

I don't think that its fair to be ground by wind limits, just because your exit weight/WL.

That a strange response. Wing loading would never be a factor for myself.
In fact while the students were grounded due to wind at my DZ I still went out and jumped a student rig.
Although canopy size is often given as a reason why newer jumpers should not jump after certain wind speeds, the problem is not the canopy but the lack of experience.
Tandems seem to jump when the winds have grounded people. I wonder why when they are loading at not much over 1.0 in a number of cases.
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

As my auntie used to say, "there's no fair this year." Or as a friend's gramma used to say, "Tough shit." :D

I've been grounded due to winds before, and it sucks ass. But I was flying a 230, at a WL of 0.60. The next weekend at the same time the winds were almost as severe, and I wasn't grounded. I jumped, and on final approach I was going straight down :o I was happy I had decided to get on the good side of the power lines at a higher altitude than normal. Oh yeah, and on landing I was dragged backwards along the ground and had to grab grass...

So now I have a healthy respect for high wind!

PS. Just think what could have happened if I was flying a Cobalt 105... sorry, had to sneak that in.. :ph34r:
Looking for newbie rig, all components...

I found my Spectre to be a great canopy for the wingsuit jumps that I have made. It opens soft, and as long as I have good body position it almost always opens on heading and does not open in line twists. Plus it is a docile enough wing that once open I have time to unzip the wing suit and get flying.

You know the saying ... dress for success!!!

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

We had one case of an exceptionally light girl (probably 100 lbs) allowed to jump a 135 fairly early in, but it was an oldish canopy and so a pure square. The rest of us lighter "chicks" have been well versed in the "pure WL" vs "size of canopy" argument and AFAIK not a single one has jumped a 120 under a good few hundred jumps. Sure it sucks to sit out occasionally when you'll go backwards and others can jump, but I can tell you it sucks a lot more being in ER with broken bones on a sunny Saturday morning.
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

Funerals aren't fair either.

And that's what you call positive attitude. heh? :S

I was told the 3 golden tool of dealing with kids: threatening, blackmailing, bribing.....

I see your favorite.

I have seen 2 kind of people under canopy over here:

1. skydiver
2. canopy pilot

Than you may classify people under canopy by their jump numers or currency vs WL:

A: OK
B: Too high

Than you may have 4 group from these.

Where do you put your dead_an_walking ?

How about the risk of those groups?

How about you take the attitude in account?

Cool guys(heads) vs. hot shots?

>They have a problem that none is designing special canopy for
>them, which could be more forgiving and less sensitive.

Huh?

There are a wide range of canopies, from very "unsensitive" and forgiving to very sensitive. A wise choice of canopies includes BOTH the design of the canopy and the size.

No canopy design choice can make a 80 sq ft canopy appropriate for a 120 lb woman at 50 jumps, and it would be a mistake to get a Xaos-27 150 for her. A Triathalon 120 might be a better choice , moving onto a Pilot 117 or Safire2 119.

I was told the 3 golden tool of dealing with kids: threatening, blackmailing, bribing.....

I see your favorite.

.......about you take the attitude in account?

Cool guys(heads) vs. hot shots?

Sadly, even skydivers with cool heads have ended up in the incidents forum with "fatality" in the subject line.

unrelated, happily i don't have to "deal" with my kid in any of the 3 "golden tools" you state. She's only 6, but she can listen to reason.
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

It is not the result of a positive attitude; it is the result of a neutral attitude.

Skydivers are not kids. You should not employ child psychology when training or coaching them. The adult learner should be an informed learner.

You're going to take this in a poor way but........

That is one of THE most retarded statements I've EVER seen on this website.

There is NOTHING "fair" about skydiving, safety, and encountering the earth at a high rate of speed.

Sometimes you just have to sit down.

Stop making statements that sound like a wuffo bitching about getting weathered.