airann

I CAN NOT handle this, NS for anyone, Dogs consumed, sign petition.

Let me be the first to say this is utter BS:

*How often an acre of U.S. trees disappears: Every 5 seconds.
*At present rate of deforestation, number of years before not a single tree will remain standing in the United States: 50

Actually in the US, the number of trees has been steadily growing over the last 50 or so years. This little statistic forgot to include the fact that the forrest industry plants more trees than they harvest. Trees are a crop... just like corn. And, they are CHEAP to plant, grow, and make a profitable harvest. Do you honestly think I big money industry would shoot themselves in the foot and not replant more to make more money? Once again... Logic escapes some people.

But I guess it makes great drama to scare the uninformed with.

the rest of the world simply does not think the same way we do. Not when it comes to what counts as "food" nor what counts as "moral, legal, or acceptable".

I have to agree with Chuck on this 110% unless you've been down that road you have no idea of the things that go on in other countries that would probably make most Americans sick or appaled. However, it's their way of life and thats the way things are done.

Or lets pick on The orange haired dude for hypocrisy.
McDonalds tells us: 75 million sold
Original actor to play Ronald McDonald: Jeff Juliano
Diet now followed by Jeff Juliano: Vegetarian

What I don't understand is what does this have to do with the price of tea in China(or this thread)?(sorry just had to throw that expression in) Fuck the Clown, you should go to the king anyways or better yet, SHELL station pizza. Now that stuff ROCKS;)

FYI I like dogs. I like cats too, lightly roasted over a open spit;)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

no diffrent than any other food livstock. i'd eat a dog in a second... already eaten horse, tases alot like beef.. only thing is with hourse ya can't have it lay on your lap and pet it. saw an ad that was posted once... hehehehe..."there is plenty of room for all gods creatures...right next to the mashed patatoes..." -some steak place in the northwest.........

Guys, nobody WANTS to see this stuff but this is food. We do exactly the same thing to cows, pigs, sheep, GEESE, and others.
This is no moremorally or ethically wrong than what we do in the USA every day.

I love my animals and would never want to see tham like this but facts are facts. IF its ok here its ok there.

I doubt a cow would give an excited greet when you arrive home. But, whatever.

Angela.

In what way does an excited greet make this more wrong than slaughtering cows?

To them its food. We have no right to tell anyone what they can eat. Its food, nothing more.

We do exactly the same thing to cows, pigs, sheep, GEESE, and others.

Surprised no one has pointed out lambs here. As this whole discussion is based on emotional attachment, how many of the "it should be banned" crowd eat lamb? Ever had a pet lamb? Very cute and they are VERY happy to see you. Taste great too.... :P
"If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation."
David Brent

Cows are sacred in India... We still have McDonalds.

I know a bunch of 5 year olds that hate the idea of eating Bambi or Thumper, but we still do.

Different culture, different values...And still none of my buisness.

Leve em alone, you can't change the culture of another country.

And I had a very sweet Lab...If you tried to hurt him I would kill you, but thats me and here, not them and there.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

One thing about raising cows, pigs, chickens, etc for consumption in the US. Have you ever seen any of the farms where they are raised? Cows packed into pastures so tight that they can't move, dying and being left in the fields. Chickens packed into boxes with 40 other chickens with their beaks and toenails cut off so they can't peck each other and damage the meat. Besides the fact that it's just cruel to the animals, it can't possibly be a healthy condition to raise meat that we are going to feed our nation.

And no I didn't get this information from some propaganda brochure (although I know they are out there), I have seen these places and have a nephew that works in a chicken factory. I have nothing against eating meat if that is what you want to do. I suppose that goes for countries that eat dog, cat and horses. Freedom of choice and all but please don't send our dogs, cats and horses, etc there to be slaughtered.

R

I can understand that side of it, but dogs and cows just aren't the same. I guess i'm biased cuz i've never owned a cow, but dogs are almost people to me. Can't they breed some farm animal? I mean, it's like eating a dolphin or something.

Angela.

My mother grew up on a farm, and they raised cows for slaughter. Sometimes the cows became like pets. Still, come time for the meat market, they had to go. It sucks either way. I personally don't see a problem with eating cows, but that's because I've done it all my life, and here, they are raised for that purpose. The thought of dogs? Well, that makes me ill because I've had them as pets all my life.
Some cultures have the opposite point of view, and unfortunately, that's the way THEY'VE been raised to believe. As sick as it is to me, it's normal for them, and they don't think twice about it. I'm totally against this, but you can't change the world that easily.

Blondes do have more fun!

If you really want to protect dogs it might be a better idea to support the local humane society, animal shelter, or rescue group with time or money. This would be FAR more effective and something you can feel good about! :)

I have a friend from Korea and although she herself doesn't like dog meat, it is common there. She told me dogs are more often pests than pets, so they don't have the same emotional attachments.

Andrea

If you ever have to survive on what the land has to offer you, your opinion will be different. Just ask the Soccer team for the Paraguay Team, back in 72......

As tough as it was, they needed the proteins to survive the nasty weather the had to put up with.

Either way, I think that your first time you need to go about eating a non-traditional meat, is about having to chase it, kill it, peel it, clean it and kill it. YEt you can get used to it. It is all about who we really are in the echology that surrounds us.
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

I prefer my Lab spicy

I knew this was gonna happen......

However I thought it was going to be

And I had a very sweet Lab

To: "I had a very sweet and sour Lab"
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I am not sure how true it is, but apparantly there was an outcry about Korea eating dogs during the world cup, and people wanted them to stop for the duration. Well as the story goes ppl there got pissed off and a bumper sticker was produced...

" A dog is not just for Christmas with a good deep freeze it will last till the world cup:)
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

There was a huge stink about eating dogs right before the World Cup. My family lives in Seoul and my Mom told me that the news reporters were groaning over the big, fat, grossly obese Americans telling us what to eat and not eat. Then they'd show video of an average American mall, the ladies with arms the size of Smithfield hams, the 150 lbs. kids, etc. and say something about how Americans should just stop eating, period.

On a side note, dog meat is pretty rare in South Korea. You've got to haul your ass to the sticks if you really want it. I'm Korean and I've never eaten dog meat, or even seen it on a menu whenever I go there (about once a year). I have, however, inadvertently eaten a curried horse sandwich in Zurich, Switzerland. Oops.

*sigh*

Web sites like this are pointless and annoying. As others have said, it will do nothing to change policy in China or anywhere else. All it does is show that one of the biggest problems in the world today is that people are too close-minded.

Even though the site claims to be international and http://www.internic.com/whois.html seems to indicate that it's from Australia, any American who signs the petition is doing more harm than good by perpetuating the stereotype that Americans know nothing about other cultures and just want everywhere to be like it is here.

My .02

--Art
Sky-div'ing (ski'div'ing) n. A modern sport that involves parties, bragging, sexual excesses, the imbibing of large quantities of beer, and, on rare occasions, parachuting from aircraft.

I think one thing some of you are missing is this. I can only speak for Korea since I lived there for 14 1/2 months. The Koreans don't eat their pets. In fact....if they do eat dog it's only once a year. Kind of a special meal that is supposed to bring good luck and fertility. Not unlike some Americans tradition of eating black eyed peas and other things around new years. The dogs they eat are raised from birth as "food." On farms....just like cows, pigs, and chickens here in the US. They don't just sit around and decide to throw ralphy in a pot cause they were hungry. :D
Now....if you want to be disgusted why not find an account of what the Belgian Paratroopers and RSA Mercs found when they took back the capital of the Congo in the 60's. In the hotel coolers.......
;)