steve1

Cut away with one hand or two?

My training was really brief after over almost a 25year lay off. So, I'm just wondering if I missed something along the way. I've been back about seven years now, but I have a couple really basic questions. So, at the risk of sounding stupid, here goes.

I've heard it argued that you need to use both hands on a cut away handle, yet others insist on using one. Since I've never cut away with a modern rig, I'm just wondering how many pounds of pull would it take. I know if your risers were twisted bad, you'd probably need two hands. But for most cut aways couldn't you pull the cut away handle with one hand and go for silver with the other. This has probably been argued many times on here. My only two cut aways were back in the early 70's.

Since I'm full of stupid questions this morning I thought I'd throw in another one. Does anyone practice cut aways from a suspended harness any more? In the old days with shot and a half capewells, we did that all the time. Of course shot and a halfs were dangerous to start with, and you needed to practice...

I've never seen an experienced skydiver "lately" practicing this. Maybe practice isn't really needed with a modern cut away handle. But then again it might be a good idea....I'd appreciate your input on this....

At my dropzone there is a suspended harness with functioning cutaway and they make students practice on it all the time. My instructor told me the two hand technique was to try and make sure the student (or really any skydiver for that matter) gets the main fully cut away before going to the reserve. With the one hand on each handle technique it might be easier to pull the handles out of order or not fully cutaway the main before pulling the reserve.

There are pros and cons to both methods.
Use the method you have learned and stick with it.
Providing you cutaway and then pull the reserve at sufficient altitude it does not matter if you use two hands or one.

Practise in a hanging harness. Yes I have done it. After a long break due to injury I thought it would be a good idea. Of course all our students go through intensive hanging harness drills.
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

I learned two hands and used to practice that. Now when I'm on the plane when I do my handle check I touch my handles with one hand only.

In my EP's, (on the ground and in the air) I've always done one handed.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

I've heard it argued that you need to use both hands on a cut away handle, yet others insist on using one.

Agreed with most that you should use what you were taught or what you are most comfortable with. I use the 1-hand method. I have had only one malfunction so far (spinning, but risers not twisted) and I can say my adrenaline-laden strength was such that I literally felt zero resistance on either handle. Given that, I think for most men of average strength, a pull truly requiring both hands would be the exception rather than the rule.

Regarding hanging harness training, I admit I've never done this since my ground training for AFF. I do, however, practice emergency procedures without the hanging harness multiples times every day that I jump. I would encourage anyone thinking about doing harness training to absolutely do so. You're right that today's handles are nothing compared to shot-and-a-half's *twitch* but there's no reason NOT to practice.
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

I learned on a SOS system. So things were a bit different. However, after switching over to rigs with a cutaway and reserve side handle I learned the two hands on cutaway, look at reserve, pull cutaway, pull reserve. At some point (for whatever reason-more comfortable?) I started practicing one hand on each handle multiple times before each jump. When it came time to cutaway I used one hand on each as it was almost automatic. When it comes time to do your EP's your going to do whatever it is you practice. Have a method, stick to it and practice it. I believe each method is widely accepted with a myriad of pros and cons for each. As long as you get that main cutaway and reserve out...all is good :)
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

Steve

Had a cutaway last Monday. I was taught to look right, grab right, look left grab left, peel/pull right, peel/pull left. I did not have ANY problems with cut away force, it was very easy to pull to complete arm extension. Also I get in the practice harness every year at Safety Day and practice emergency procedures! I also pull handles when my reserve needs to be repacked. I ALWAYS practice the emergency drill motions on the ground prior to boarding and on the way to altitude. Emergency drills are very much worth practicing. I feel that I was able to confidently handle my cut away last Monday because I spent a lot of time practicing.

Blue Skies and Stand-up Landings!!!!!!

>I've heard it argued that you need to use both hands on a cut
>away handle, yet others insist on using one.

I think overall that the two handed method works a bit better for a few reasons:

1) Sequencing. You won't pull the reserve handle until you get the cutaway handle out. With one hand per it's a lot easier to get an out of sequence deployment.

2) Strength. Normally it takes on the order of 10-20 pounds to pull the cutaway handle - but if you're spinning or have line twists it can be much higher.

I switched to one-hand-per-handle because I had to; I was doing tandem, and you have to use one hand per handle at least initially.

>Does anyone practice cut aways from a suspended harness any more?

At Perris we have semi suspended harnesses. They hang from the ceiling and we have students tighten the legstraps until it takes some (but not all) of their weight. Seems to work well. It's not as uncomfortable but gives you the same sort of tensions in the harness.

As far as hanging harness's go...The North London Parachute Center had 3 when i done my training there, so far i've yet to see another one at another DZ. I always felt it kind of odd walking up the wooden steps to the harness to practice a life saving technique. It felt to me like i was walking to the gallows. A long drop and short stop when they kick the steps away :D:D

I was trained with one hand on each and when the time comes i'll do that. If that doesnt work you can be sure i'll be trying 2 hands, 2 hands and a leg, 2 hands and teeth. Anything to get that lanyard out the loops :D

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

If I had time I would write a dissertation on this subject, but that would take me an hour, so in short:

I have personally known 3 people that use the one hand per handle and practiced it that pulled out of sequence. All 3 lived but sustained serious injuries substantial enough to end their skydiving careers - gruesome landings...

I practice both 1 and 2 handed, it goes something like this:
One hand per handle, I experience a difficult extraction with the cutaway and must bring my reserve hand over to assist thus making the cutaway 2 handed.

I did a search for you, go through it and perhaps you may find some information you are seeking.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=search_results&search_forum=all&search_string=Cutaway%20with%20One%20hand&sb=score&mh=25
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

I am, as shown in my profile, a major noob. I was taught one hand on each handle.
Had my first, and so far, only chop on jump 27 and I was under my reserve before the thoughts of the actual actions were in my head. I had a spinning main, and at 2500 the thought I had was, "This is not going to be landable." From there, it seemed to me that my body took over and did the EP's.
Anyhow, that was my experience and I had a stand up landing on the reserve and lived so one hand on each handle seems to have been sufficient.
"I'm not lost. I don't know where I'm going, but there's no sense in being late."
Mathew Quigley

There is a hanging harness at my dz that all the students use. Also, on safety day they require that EVERYONE (even the people with several thousand jumps) gets in it and goes through their EP's. They teach the two hands on one handle technique. However, I have a rather large chest (see posts in the bonfire ;)) and I can't reach with both hands so I use the one hand technique.

>I've heard it argued that you need to use both hands on a cut
>away handle, yet others insist on using one.

I think overall that the two handed method works a bit better for a few reasons:

1) Sequencing. You won't pull the reserve handle until you get the cutaway handle out. With one hand per it's a lot easier to get an out of sequence deployment.

This is the most common reason give for the two hand method and it has its merits

2) Strength. Normally it takes on the order of 10-20 pounds to pull the cutaway handle - but if you're spinning or have line twists it can be much higher.

There is nothing to stop you going to the two handed method, as I have done on one of 4 cutaways.
The only problem I see with the two handle method is locating the reserve handle in time. Is it better to have something out than nothing and a desperate search for the reserve handle

I switched to one-hand-per-handle because I had to; I was doing tandem, and you have to use one hand per handle at least initially.

>Does anyone practice cut aways from a suspended harness any more?

At Perris we have semi suspended harnesses. They hang from the ceiling and we have students tighten the legstraps until it takes some (but not all) of their weight. Seems to work well. It's not as uncomfortable but gives you the same sort of tensions in the harness.

Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

I've heard it argued that you need to use both hands on a cut away handle, yet others insist on using one. Since I've never cut away with a modern rig, I'm just wondering how many pounds of pull would it take. I know if your risers were twisted bad, you'd probably need two hands. But for most cut aways couldn't you pull the cut away handle with one hand and go for silver with the other.

3 chops on modern gear and I really dont know how much it took to pull it... eac time I was pretty pumped and had no problem pulling either Cutaway or reserve handle.

Chop one.. blown lines and canopy low speed but unlandable... very easy pull

Chop 2 spinner under my samnurai.. the slider was hung on a glob of shit high on one side where the cascades were and steering lines were tangled....pulled really easy

Chop 3 Samurai going into a fast spin probably pulling about 3 g's already.. again easy pull on both cutaway and reserve handles.

I used single hands on both..and both were easy pulls like I said.. I was one motivated individual at the time.

I practice 2 hand ... look and find handles... grab handles... chop right hand..lookleft side at reserve and pull with left hand. I did not have any problem with either spinner.

Get in a hanging harness and practice....and always practice your EP.. I even run thru it on each jump on the way to Altitude.

Oh.. and in 8 chops since 1972.. I have yet to toss or lose a cutaway handle or reserve handle.. I do tuck them into my jumpsuit after deployment.... those suckers are expensive and I like the original ones that come with my equipment.

I've heard it argued that you need to use both hands on a cut away handle, yet others insist on using one. Since I've never cut away with a modern rig, I'm just wondering how many pounds of pull would it take. I know if your risers were twisted bad, you'd probably need two hands. But for most cut aways couldn't you pull the cut away handle with one hand and go for silver with the other. This has probably been argued many times on here. My only two cut aways were back in the early 70's.

You need to pull one handle at a time, but when people put one hand on both handles, cutaway, and have a hard pull on the cutaway they sometimes deploy the reserve before cutting away.

Two on the cutaway handle makes that impossible.

I've always used one hand at a time on each handle and never had problems pulling the cutaway handle with one hand.

Since I'm full of stupid questions this morning I thought I'd throw in another one. Does anyone practice cut aways from a suspended harness any more? In the old days with shot and a half capewells, we did that all the time. Of course shot and a halfs were dangerous to start with, and you needed to practice...

Its a pretty normal safety-day activity once-a-year.

I use and practice one hand on each handle now after my only cut away back in 1998 under a pretty heavily loaded Stiletto I use two hands. It was the time that there where issues with soft cable housing and hard cut aways, I think I remember someone riding in a malfunction because they could not cut away that year.

Anyways I remember going to chop my spinning malfunction, had hands on both handles then the thought of a hard cut away raced through my mind and chopped with two hands while looking at the reserve handle. My RSL had my reserve deploying while I was pulling the reserve handle.