pguyt

Is it possible to change handles without a reserve repack?

I was thinking that I might like to change the handles on my rig to a different colour (currently dark red jumpsuit / red handles - would change to yellow). I was wondering if its possible to do this without releasing and repacking the reserve? I was thinking you could use something to hold the tension on the closing loop whilst you change the handles over.

I suppose I'll talk to a rigger about getting it done, but I would like your opinion as well.

I was thinking that I might like to change the handles on my rig to a different colour (currently dark red jumpsuit / red handles - would change to yellow). I was wondering if its possible to do this without releasing and repacking the reserve? I was thinking you could use something to hold the tension on the closing loop whilst you change the handles over.

I suppose I'll talk to a rigger about getting it done, but I would like your opinion as well.

Yes, usually the rigger that packed it could change the handles out pretty easily, without a repack.

Which handle are you wanting to change, cutaway? reserve? both? If it's just the cutaway, you can do that yourself... (if you're not confident, have a rigger watch you)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Yes, both. Would it have to be the rigger that packed the reserve to do the job or anyone suitably qualified?

Legally, it would have to be the rigger that packed it last. If not, then the rigger doing the replacement would have to do a full I&R on the system.

Now... that's legally...
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

Ok, thanks very much for your advice!

Just one more question, though. Am I right in thinking that hypothetically, if the closing loop were to be kept under tension and not released, that changing the pins over would not affect the reserve at all? It might seem a trivial question to someone who's seen inside the reserve tray, but I haven't.

Not that I would ever want to do something which could even have a possibility of affecting my reserve.

Just one more question, though. Am I right in thinking that hypothetically, if the closing loop were to be kept under tension and not released, that changing the pins over would not affect the reserve at all? It might seem a trivial question to someone who's seen inside the reserve tray, but I haven't.

Wouldn't effect the packjob at all, but how are ya gonna seal it?:P

My seal certifies that I have deemed the system as airworthy, I won't certify something I don't trust. It becomes my bacon on the line for what's under the pin.

Wouldn't effect the packjob at all, but how are ya gonna seal it?:P

Assuming he's in a country that requires packjobs to be sealed, of course ;)
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Just one more question, though. Am I right in thinking that hypothetically, if the closing loop were to be kept under tension and not released, that changing the pins over would not affect the reserve at all?

Correct. You can even put temporary pins in the loops to hold the reserve shut and intact, while you work on things. The problem, however, is that in removing the old pins, you're also breaking the seal thread that was put there by the rigger who packed it. And a new rigger, therefore, is going to be unwilling to put new seal thread on it, along with his own personal seal, without repacking the entire reserve, because that seal is his testament that the pack job is good. And no rigger wants to do that for someone else's pack job without actually re-doing it, and making it his pack job. So, your best bet is to get the same rigger that packed it previously to do the switch-over for you, because then he can re-seal his own pack job without the dilemma of a different rigger coming into play.

And make sure that the dimensions of the new handle are the same as the old one, with the same length cable, and same pin spacing.

If it's just the cutaway, you can do that yourself... (if you're not confident, have a rigger watch you)

Usually you are giving a good advises,but this is not the case now.
Never tell a jumper that he can do these stuff himself. There are way too many stuff that can go wrong by doing simple task like release handle switching.

What if the other handle he has is build for another type or size rig. Let say...it releases first the RSL side riser?! And what if he has a Skyhook and he doesn't run the left side cable trough the line yard?!

Trust me, I've seen this way too many times. The average jumper should stick to replacing rubberbands and closing loops.

Blue skies
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

If it's just the cutaway, you can do that yourself... (if you're not confident, have a rigger watch you)

Never tell a jumper that he can do these stuff himself. There are way too many stuff that can go wrong by doing simple task like release handle switching.

What if the other handle he has is build for another type or size rig. Let say...it releases first the RSL side riser?! And what if he has a Skyhook and he doesn't run the left side cable trough the line yard?!

Trust me, I've seen this way too many times. The average jumper should stick to replacing rubber-bands and closing loops.

Blue skies

Back in the good-old-days, every sport jumper knew how to assemble a main and pack it.
Sadly, many modern sport junpers do not even know how to pack anymore!
Hah!
Hah!

Trust me, I've seen this way too many times. The average jumper should stick to replacing rubberbands and closing loops.

Blue skies

Whats a line yard? I've never hooked up a side cable through one. :P

http://www.unitedparachutetechnologies.com/PDF/Support/Manual/MAN_004___Vector_3_Manual_07_44_13[1].pdf (p 81) users should be able to RTFM and follow the instructions, if in doubt, ask a rigger.

Whats a line yard? I've never hooked up a side cable through one. :P

http://www.unitedparachutetechnologies.com/PDF/Support/Manual/MAN_004___Vector_3_Manual_07_44_13[1].pdf (p 81) users should be able to RTFM

Hahah....OK, "line yard" should be a "lanyard". Are you happy now :P

As for

users should be able to RTFM and follow the instructions, if in doubt, ask a rigger.

give me a break.....How did you manage to put "users" and "reading the manual" in one sentence B|
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

Blue skies

I managed to find a rig that had the cutaway cable routed thru the reserve brake toggle instead of the collins lanyard. You are right, users screw this stuff up. However, it is equally sad that we let jumpers know this little about gear and get their A licence. Although I tend to agree with you - REPLACING instead of REINSTALLING any component should not be done without extra attention to the details...

Suggestion:

Take the rig the rigger who last repacked it and ask him* to use his Pin Follower, a nifty gadget that allows the reserve pin to be removed and re-inserted w/o opening the packjob.

He will swap ripcords and reseal. Give him a little $$ and you're ready to go.

Remember - the rigger who last worked on it!

Cheers

* Or Her
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

A USPA licensed jumper is required to know how to correctly assemble their 3-ring release. That means they are required to be capable of assembling all the components of the 3-ring release system. How does that not include being able to replace a cutaway handle?
Owned by Remi #?

Buy a black jumpsuit.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Why not just get some yellow electrical insulation tape and wrap it around the reserve handle. Changes the colour, and you can take it off if you later change your jumpsuit for a yellow one.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

A USPA licensed jumper is required to know how to correctly assemble their 3-ring release. That means they are required to be capable of assembling all the components of the 3-ring release system. How does that not include being able to replace a cutaway handle?

If the replacement handle comes with cables of the correct length and requiring only assembly, you'd be correct. However, replacement handles for sport rigs typically come with overlength cables plus instructions on how to measure and cut the cables to the correct lengths. Then the cut cable ends should be finished in a way that prevents snagging on the locking loop or other components.

Mark

Why not just get some yellow electrical insulation tape and wrap it around the reserve handle. Changes the colour, and you can take it off if you later change your jumpsuit for a yellow one.

You have 4000 jumps and you suggest a low time jumper wraps tape around his reserve handle?

Even if it's a d-ring style handle which I doubt since he said it was red this sounds like a bad idea for a low time jumper.

James

The average jumper should be a rigger. Learning everything about their gear like their life depended on it.
take care,
space

You have 4000 jumps and you suggest a low time jumper wraps tape around his reserve handle?

Even if it's a d-ring style handle which I doubt since he said it was red this sounds like a bad idea for a low time jumper.

James

I don't think you have a very clear idea of what I am suggesting. It would not affect a D ring style handle in any way, apart from changing its colour.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....