Michele

My Heart Has Been Stolen

By a 3 1/2 lb Pumpkin.

You can choose a dog. They are utterly loveable, and will be incredibly loyal. However, you cannot choose a cat. So when a cat chooses you, you know there's something very special.

I went to the pet store yesterday to get some cat food for Charlotte and Esse, and I walked by the rescue cages. I usually walk by, wiggle my fingers through the cage, and tickle some of them. And then buy whatever I need, and I'm on my way.

But not yesterday. I got to the first cage, and there was this little fuzzy kitten, older than the other kittens, all by herself. She laid there, blinking her yellow-green eyes at me. Not meowing, nothing. Just looking at me. I reached through the bars, and she rolled over onto her back so she could get a tummy rub. I rubbed on her wee belly for a bit, and her purr was so loud you could hear it from outside the cage, and her little ribs were heaving with the purr. She was a happy kitty. So I opened the cage, and brought her out, and laid her on my chest. The storekeeper said "hold onto her - she's feral, and will bolt". So I kept one hand on her, but she never bolted. Never even moved, just adjusted herself. Nuzzled her head into my neck, and just went to sleep right there, purring. Humming, almost.

Uh oh...

I plop her back into her cage, listening to the storekeeper's story about her. They had rescued her about 6 weeks ago. She was found with her brother abandoned, mother likely dead as they were malnourished and ill, and they were feral. Won't let people near her. Her brother was adopted several weeks ago because he was a lover, but no-one wanted her. They spayed her, hoping it would calm her down, but it didn't.

Wild little pussy.

I knew I was in trouble....

So I went over to Cora's unannounced, grabbed her, and told her she had to come with me to assess this independently. I can't make a decision clearly holding a warm fuzzy little bundle of cuddles...

And when I reached into the cage, she came right over. And snuggled back into my neck like she had always wanted to be there. I peeled her off me, and gave her to Cora, to see what she'd do - hey, she might just want to cuddle - it might not be me she wanted to cuddle with...but no, she was not resting on Cora like she was on me.

Cora looked at me, and told me to take her home - I had been selected...

And so, I did.

Of course, Charlotte and Esse believe that their world is over. I don't think Esse knows what a kitten is - and Charlotte is just plain ol' jealous. Esse is terrified of this wee thing; Esse, 17 lbs, fearless...the one who will bolt out of the house if she sees another adult cat to defend her territory - Esse runs, screaming and panicking at the sight of this little (maybe 3 1/2 lb) kitten...Charlotte just hisses, and sniffs.

Here's a few pix of the wee Pumpkin.

I am thrilled she is here in my life. She's sitting in my lap as I write this up, purring and snuggling...watching me. What a cutie pie...

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

She's called a Calico...but you're right, she has very unusual markings....

she must have had some mixed up parents

Well, if she didn't before, she chose a totally mixed up human mommy just to be sure!

Ciels-
Michele

I love Calico kitties! What a cutie!

Congrats on being "chosen" by the wild thing! She looks quite happy to be home. (She probably wasn't feral at all, just fussy!)

(edited to correct spelling which still doesn't look quite right......:$.)

Okay Michele, we're both suckers for rescuing animals. Very cute kitty. As of date I have three dogs and two cats. Very busy house:)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

That cat is VERY cute. Congrats! If there's anyone who can give that kitty a good home, it's you:)

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

Nice looking kitty Michele.....and a lucky kitty to find the right person.

We have two calicos that we found in my dad's garage when they were about 10 days old. Tiny little things. They are great cats now.

Did you know that calicos are almost always female? If you find a male calico it will likely be sterile...if it isn't they are quite valuable....according to our vet.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Pumpkin knows......you were meant to be together.
You both look very 'comfy' in the pic together.

How adorable, Esse and Charlotte will grow to love her too:)
J

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.

They spayed her, hoping it would calm her down, but it didn't.

Wild little pussy.

I knew I was in trouble....

please... no one kill me for mentioning this... but seems Im the only one who wanted to pervert the story by quoting out of context.

but OTOH.... I have a soft spot for soft animals. and my little tiny house if filled w/ a great big lazy dog. and a crazy kitty.

Good luck MOM! :P
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

She is so precious...I am a total cat lover! We have three, the last a long haired bob-tail that I "found" ah hem..."ya, found" thats my story & I'm sticking too it...well anyway.. I am cat grounded, by no means am I allowed to bring home anymore....but we'll see...Congrats on the new member of your family...Im sure your other girls will adjust soon.

Thanks, guys. She got a little too warm sitting in my lap, so she is currently in a kitty claw bowl scratch thing, with a pillow on top of her. She can't be comfy, but yet she seems to be.

I do think that BK had a hand (or would that be "paw"??) in it. I tend to try to bring in full grown cats - Charlotte and Esse were both full grown, several years old. I haven't had a kitten since BK, 19 years ago or so now, and it's wonderful.

Charlotte just climbed into the other bowl scratch thing after hissing like mad at the cowering Pumpkin...who didn't even look up, just buried herself lower into the bowl. Its good to see that Charlotte is "trying"; she is leaning over and "posturing" to Pumpkin's bottom. It is too funny to watch....Esse, however, thinks I am the Devil himself for bringing this wee thing into the home. She is so like the elephant with the mouse...ROLF...

Right now, I need all the love and cuddles I can get...and this was without a doubt a good move - both on my part - and on hers...and thanks again...

Ciels-
Michele

What a beautiful kitty -- she's got a suspicious look in the pictures, so if she chose you, then you know you're really chosen!

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

That's one UGLY cat...but cute in a way and looks REALLY sweet laying on you. I actually thought of getting a cat lately....or some fish. I need something in this house besides bugs. :D Something I can leave for a few days without it destroying the house or dying on me. That's why I can't have a girlfriend. :D

Esse, however, thinks I am the Devil himself for bringing this wee thing into the home. She is so like the elephant with the mouse...ROLF...

LOL! Congratulations, Michele! You are a Mommy, again. It is a beautiful kitten, and I am so glad that you are so happy with her. I looooove her name. I hope that you two live many lovely years together in bliss. :)