VTmotoMike08

Gatorz with contact lenses

I've been fine on hop & pops, but wouldn't use them for extended freefall.

I've lost contacts with full goggles before now - all it takes is a little gap to make your eye start watering and there goes your depth perception...

I wear contact lenses with gatorz & haven't had a problem with losing contacts. Once I forgot to actually push them against my face before a jump & had a wee bit of an issue when it came to break off. I didnt lose my contacts but was a little worried I might. I just pushed the glasses on more & was fine. But that was also before I got one of those glasses keeper things (I forget what it's called right now). It helps keep the gatorz directly against my face & I haven't had a problem since. Also, just fyi I know jumpers who have lost contacts with a full face on. Sometimes you're just SOL & the contact wants to come out. Hope this helps.

As a contact lens wearer, what is the best option to prevent tearing and/or losing a contact lens.

REALLY well fitting contacts AND goggles.

Even then, shit happens.

My vision is about -6.5 in both eyes and landing without a contact takes all my concentration, all my skill from many years of canopy flying and not a small amount of luck. It's a shitty place to be.

If you're worried about it, wear prescription goggles or glasses with goggles that fit over them. You may not look the coolest on the DZ, but you look better like that than you do rolling around the landing area clawing at the ground after blowing the landing because you couldn't see properly.

Edit: re Sorz goggles - I tried a pair and they simply didn't fit the shape of my face well. I don't think there's a simple, single answer - the foam surround is what you're looking for to minimise air leakage, but try on as many pairs as possible.

As a contact lens wearer, what is the best option to prevent tearing and/or losing a contact lens.

Get rid of the lenses ;)
I got Lasik after some problems with contact lenses in freefall, one of the best decisions of my life :)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I've got 3 jumps with contact lenses, gatorz and with a factory diver.

- Balloon jump, exited on my back and went on my belly, no problem.
- FF from plane, sit and head down no big issues, eyes teared up a bit.
- WS from plane, fine for first few seconds, after a while lost both contact lenses. However I've lost contact lenses whilst wingsuiting with tight well fitting ordinary goggles too.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

I tried a pari of sorz googles and never went back to them after 2 jumps since my face seems rather small and it didn't conform to my face properly enough to seal the air out.

First time I jumped with them I lost a contact in the left eye. 2nd Jump with them I figured they were a bit loose, tightened them up still ended up losing another contact after replacing it [:/] Since them I have always used my fullface and haven't quite tried out an openface helmet

I have managed to jump from a heli with a pair of Oakley's which seemed to work OK with my face but wasn't perfect. I'm -5.5 so losing a contact is kind of a big deal

For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

Seems like enough varied experiences that I'll just have to buy them and see what works for me personally. If they don't work, then at least I will have a new pair of sunglasses. I'll probably start with hop n pops, then work up to freeflying and eventually tandems if they work well.

And I'm -4.5 so I would be in trouble if I lost both contacts, although I could do a straight in landing no problem with one eye if needed. If I ever get a few grand with nothing else to do then I'll eventually get lasik.

In general it seems that everyone's contact lens tolerance is different. I know some people go as far as taping the holes shut on the clear flex goggles but I've got hundreds of jumps without doing that and no problems.

And I'm -4.5 so I would be in trouble if I lost both contacts, although I could do a straight in landing no problem with one eye if needed. .

After having this happen several times, my procedure was actually to remove the other contact once I'd got some room to myself under canopy. I personally found it easier to judge depth with everything being equally blurred, but bifocal, as opposed to one and one.

You might want to try some experiments on the ground to see what works best for you. :)

I've had the same problem with contacts for years. Every pair of goggles I've ever used allowed too much air in at the top while I'm diving down to a formation, tracking or doing head down. My left contact would always come out.

Using my Cookie G2 full face gives me no trouble.

Also when I film tandems I use I-goggs. $12.00

They can be found by googling them. The company is in Minneapolis. They are the best goggle I've ever found. I've been using them for about 5 years now with no trouble.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

-4 and -5 and -6 you all have GREAT VISION:ph34r:

I'm -7.25 in one eye and -7.5 in the other both with a +2on the other curve.
I have photochromatic wrap sunglasses that i use.
I wont risk contects on a jump without visual correction I'd be prettym nuch screwed.[:/]

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

REALLY well fitting contacts AND goggles.

Even then, shit happens.

My vision is about -6.5 in both eyes and landing without a contact takes all my concentration, all my skill from many years of canopy flying and not a small amount of luck. It's a shitty place to be.

If you're worried about it, wear prescription goggles or glasses with goggles that fit over them. You may not look the coolest on the DZ, but you look better like that than you do rolling around the landing area clawing at the ground after blowing the landing because you couldn't see properly.

Edit: re Sorz goggles - I tried a pair and they simply didn't fit the shape of my face well. I don't think there's a simple, single answer - the foam surround is what you're looking for to minimise air leakage, but try on as many pairs as possible.

I'm in the same boat, -6.5. Losing one contact would be a pain, both, terrifying.

perhaps the perscription goggle route as someone stated would be good. Or as you said, googles on top of glasses.

Then people can call me SIX eyes lol.
The feather butts bounce off ya like raindrops hitting a battle-star when they come in too fast...kinda funny to watch. - airtwardo

I never have problems wearing my fullface, but sometimes find a contct stuck to the inside of my goggles after a freefly jump using an open-face helmet and stadard goggles.

Some folks tape up the vent holes on their goggles and say it helps.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

I have used these for about the last 6 yearsB40They are cheaper and in about 400 skydives a year I go through 1 to 2 pairs . They fit well and have foam gasket. I tried once to use a very good fitting pair of sunglasses and spent the entire skydive in a blurr. Also I find that these allow less air around the eyes then most googles do.
Kirk
He's dead Jim

I had that problem happen to me when I was on the student goggles.. but now that I purchased my Sorz goggles, I've never had the problem.

The only exception to the Sorz goggles is that the foam padding on the rim of the goggles deteoriates pretty quickly. I've been interested in trying Gatorz out, but I'm perturbed by the thought of losing a contact in freefall, and then being blind on landing.

(I'm literally as blind as a bat without contacts or glasses).