racerman

Customer always right?

Individual orders complete set of gear but can only afford the canopy and wants it delivered first followed by the rest two months later. No problem, talk to the manufacture and agrees on delivery dates. Main canopy is shipped when completed and lo and behold he doesn't have the money for the canopy but will have it after April15th. April 15th rolls around and stills doesn't have the money for the canopy but has no trouble buying a trailer!To clear my account I pay for the canopy and hold on to it. Two months later the rest of his gear arrives and no money but he'll have it the beginning of June. A call to the manufacture and no problem they'll wait. June rolls around and he actually has the cash. He likes the rig but is upset of the color pattern of the main. No problem I told him, I own the main and I'll just have it re-done. I told him to let me know by 10:00 am the following morning and not to jump it. Next day rolls around and he says he's ok with the color pattern. Ten jumps later he now tells me he's not satisfied and wants a brand new canopy. After much back and forth between him, me, and the manufacture I buy his used canopy and they'll make him one free. When I call to tell him this he tells me to come get the rig he wants nothing to do with it!
I figure he just needs the weekend to cool down and went to pick-up my main. He starts screaming at me, throwing his other rig on the floor,and throwing a picture at me while yelling to take the f**king rig, and refund his money and get out! I took the whole rig, afraid he might destroy it!!!I've contacted the manufacture and am waiting to hear back. Any ideas/suggestions

Is he bi-polar or something? He needs to either get on or off the meds!

Alas, I can not even to begin to feel your pain after all the patience you've shown.

Perhaps the solution is to simply and politely decline his business? It would seem to be rather cost ineffective to work with this individual customer who cannot make up his damn mind! >:(

For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

Sounds like a moron, or else one with a wildly different perception of what happened. Your version sounds pretty dispassionate. Hopefully he's on dz.com and can see what an ass he looks like, and decide if he wants to do something about that perception.

Either you'll get more satisfaction, or we'll have a lot of fun watching the fireworks :)>:(

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I buy his used canopy and they'll make him one free.

Well fuck him! But hey if they are still willing to send out a free canopy, I sure could use one and I won't bitch about the colors...;)
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

June rolls around and he actually has the cash

He likes the rig

he says he's ok with the color pattern

Done deal. Give him his gear back and keep the cash. Never do business with him again.

And if you have a chance to bang his girlfriend, Go for it.

He likes the rig

Done deal. Give him his gear back and keep the cash. Never do business with him again.

And don't pull out.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I don't get it. Do you agree or disagree with my post?

Agree completely.
I'm just a smart-ass, and have little control over it.

From your side of the story you've done everything to be accommodating. He's used the gear and as far as I'd be concerned he owns it now. I guess I'd be willing in your shoes to refund the cash but I sure as shit would ding him on the refund since he's not returning it to you in new condition. Any applicable policies that you have in place? If not, time to write that shit and have people sign it as part of the order.

Based on the one of three sides of this story that we know, I'd say tell the customer to sack the fuck up. Give them back their gear and keep the cash. Don't do business with them again.

Seriously, the last time I remember when it was cool for me to try something and then give it back was when I was a kid and my mum gave me some food I didn't like. Even then I'd usually be told to eat it anyway.

He likes the rig

Unfortunately he's gay or I'd give it a go

He likes the rig

agree - AND tell other dealers in the area about him (especially your local suit dealer who doesn't need this person as a customer, etc). Based only on the OP's post, this individual has cash flow problems, and emotional issues and impulse control issues. ANY purchase he makes on something custom will turn into a shit pile for any vendor.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Unfortunately he's gay or I'd give it a go

This explains why the colors were such an issue.

Seriously, you guys had a deal (dare I say, a verbal contract) and he breached when he didn't pay on time. You forgave the breach, and renegotiated to suit the customers new payment terms.

The gear arrives, customer accpets the gear and remits payment. Right there he owns it, plain and simple. If he found a defect or problem with the gear, he is entitled to have it rectified, but returning the gear is not an option.

Legally, you are on solid ground to return the gear to the customer, leave his money in your pocket, and tell him to take a hike. Morally, in my opinion, you are also on solid ground to follow that course of action.

Even if you subtract the customers breach of contract, being a pain in the ass, and battery with a deadly picture, this is custom made, built-to-order equipment, and in truth, the guy owned it the minute he signed off on the order form and instructed you to submit it to the manufacturer. This isn't off the shelf gear that can be returned to inventory, he ordered what he wanted, and that's what he gets.

ANY purchase he makes on something custom will turn into a shit pile for any vendor

Gear dealers need to make sure their customers are aware that the minute the order is placed, they own the gear. There 'may' be a grace period for very busy manufacturers, where changes or cancellations can be made before fabric is cut or components go into production, but that's a case-by-case situation, and not something the customer should ever count on.

Just because you don't take immediate delivery, or in some cases, have to make immediate payment in full, the gear is yours and is being built for you, to your specifications, and all involved are expecting payment in full and for you to take delivery of the item upon completion.

I am in a business where I sell built-to-order equipment to businesses, and in addition to a deposit, I always require the customer to literally sign the order form in it's final state indicating their approval of what's being built for them. I get a copy and they get a copy, so there can be no question as to what they ordered and what they should recieve, and in this way, both parties are protected. This has no effect on the customers ability to seek satisfaction in the case of a manufacturing error or defect, but it does prevent them from changing the story after the fact, and trying to use that as a stepping stone to further action, such as trying to return the equipment.

Another trick I use to protect myself when offering payment terms to anyone is that I ensure that my cost for the equipment is paid in full prior to the completion of the equipment. I'll take a small deposit to place the order, then a larger payment that covers my cost just prior to completion of the equipment, and a final payment upon delivery which is my profit on the deal. In this way I make sure that I'm not out-of-pocket $1 at any time during the transaction, and that I have the balance in the bank to pay the manufacturer before the ship anyting to me. In cases where the customer defaults on the large payment, I've found that manufacturers are far happier sitting on a custom order whithout payment when it's in their warehouse, not mine.

As a custom equipment dealer, as much as you want to 'help a brother out', your 'bro' would never screw you on a deal, or even ask to be 'helped out'. Keep the business fair, above board, and business-like, and anyone who can't operate in that fashion isn't someone you want to do business with anyway.

Any ideas/suggestions

If you delivered what he ordered then its a done deal. Any flexibility that he might have had coming to him has already been used up in spades when you were very flexible and understanding about his payment situation.

You even offered to work with him on the canopy colors with the caveat that he must not jump the one he had.

You did all you could and then some. You owe him nothing.

Give him his gear and keep the money and dont do business with him any more.

He sounds like a complete horses ass.
__

My mighty steed

He wanted the canopy to represent the Gay Pride flag
The only problem he says is they built the canopy backwards ie. red on left instead of right. No problem, I told him I own the canopy I'll just have it remade. he plays the dealer against the manufacture and ends up getting a new on for free with a one week delivery date. Hell, I'm a dealer and they don't treat me that good!!!!

He wanted the canopy to represent the Gay Pride flag
The only problem he says is they built the canopy backwards ie. red on left instead of right.

gay friendly rigger tip of the day : in order to unhurt his feelings, hook the canopy backwards :)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM