PhreeZone

Better to be fired or quit?

Due to somethings at work.. it looks like I might have a chance to face said question soon.

Unemplyment is questionable because of the situation and that both sides have documentation on all issues. Long story but basically I did'nt do something they told me to but I have emails showing that others told me not to do it.

What looks "better" to a future employer? Having the person get fired or if they left on their own?
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Honestly, I think it depends on the employer. I'm not sure that one is any better than the other. If you're in a situation at work and feel that you've got nothing to lose you should talk about that with management. See if you can work out an agreement that works for both sides.

I think if you can work out a layoff that you'll be eligible for unemployment and you won't have a blemish on your record.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

Fired, if you want unemployment and aren't worried about references or past work history. :P
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

all depends on what line of work you are in.

True. I guess it wouldn't really be a bad thing to be fired from a shit-shoveler job. Or WOULD it? :P
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

start looking for another job... take the first one that comes along that will work for you financially...quit the old job before you get fired. then, when you've secured a new job that's paying your bills temporarily, you can spend a lot of time hunting for the position you really want.

Not sure what you do for a living, and based on the circumstances it looks like you're not going to get that good a reference anyway - so I'd see if there was an option for them to "Pay" me to leave.

I've seen some real "nice" let-go packages through the tech-bust, and if there is any risk on their part that they think you might be a problem if they fire you, they could pay you to go away and you (and they) agree not to sue or say bad things about each other - and you would still get unemployment.

Good luck,

- Jeff

"That's not flying, it's falling with style."

Many companies don't give references any more anyway (mine doesn't). But it's just about always better to quit than to be fired. Especially if you find another job first, even if it's as chief tandem-master at the dropzone.

And Phree-- good luck

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Fired, if you want unemployment and aren't worried about references or past work history. :P

Find out what your current companies policies are regarding references. Most places these days will only confrim employment dates and salary but not give out any other info, either about why you left or your job performance. They're afraid of being sued for slander. So, if they have a policy like that, go ahead and get fires so you can get unemployment.

Quit.

And I would rather see "Resigned due to moral differences" than "Quit due to personal reasons" on applications i look at.......I don't really care about personal reasons, because in 9 cases out of 10, it turns out they didn't get along with their boss. When I question someone about "resigned due to moral differences", it is because they took a stand -- and I'd rather have a report who thinks for himself, and is willing to speak his mind instead of following the crowd.

Good luck, Erk. B| Keep the faith.

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

Unemplyment is questionable because of the situation and that both sides have documentation on all issues. Long story but basically I did'nt do something they told me to but I have emails showing that others told me not to do it.

From my experience, if you have documentation showing that you were fired unjustly, you can still collect unemployment. The laws are different depending on what state you live in. For me, I was able to collect unemployment because my employers made false statements against me. I had all kinds of documentation showing they were wrong in what they said about me. When I was fired the first thing I did was contact the unemployment office and started the paper work to collect unemployment. Again, I'm not sure of the process where you're at, but for me it went like this. After contacting the unemployment office they then contact your former place of employment, wanting to get the story from them. After they came up with a different story, and refuse to pay, you go to a hearing, where you present your information. Hee, hee, the judge loved me cause of all the documentation I had. I won and collected unemployment for a year.
I would contact your unemployment office and see what they have to say. As for referenced, here in Colorado when a place that you have put in an application for work, calls your former employer, they can't say that they fired you. They can only ask if you showed up on time and did your work. Thing like that. Again, the unemployment office should be able to answer those kind of questions.

Good luck.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

The only reason to quit is that you don't like the job. If you like the job, then stay.

If the short story is true, then you shouldn't get fired. If they do fire you, hopefully you'll get some severance.

Which is better? Well, to your future employers it don't make a hill of beans. There's no law that says you have to be honest when asked during an interview "why did you leave"? You won't get caught if you lie, because odds are they won't call the last company for references, and if they do, odds are they won't ask why you left. If they do ask why you left, odds are the old company won't tell them out of fear of your lawsuit over slander.

Also - a very respectable synonym for being fired is being "laid off".

I once "left" a company called compuware. They provided me with a document stating the dates that I worked there, and that is all they would provide to future employers. Everything else was confidential. They would not give references, no matter what the terms of your departure are.

Funny, as a geek going through school in Ottawa, a lot of my friends worked for Corel. I discovered really quickly that getting fired from Corel was their greatest career moves. They all went on to truely great things after getting fired from Corel. There was a time where I was trying to furiously get a job at Corel just so I could get fired...

As a geek, its expected that we'll change jobs frequently. Do not fear getting fired, or laid off.

Every time I've changed jobs I've increased my salary by 50%.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

You have updated your resume, right?

Start applying elsewhere then it won't matter....

Like a lot of people have said, most companies will only provide

a)dates of employment
b)salary
c) title

you could always try and negotiate a decent severance package in return for your resignation if you're pretty sure the writing is on the wall

Good luck..
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

I'd make efforts to keep my job and avoid both, personally, but if that is totally out of the question I'd say resign. If you were to ever try and get a job that requires a security clearance of any sort 'Have you ever been fired from a job?' will be one of the questions you are asked.

Also, from a managerial standpoint, I tend to give my fellow supervisors the benefit of the doubt when it comes to handling employees - though they often end up undeserving. I'd me more apt to consider someone who resigned than someone who has been fired. To me, good employees are an asset that doesn't show up in the accounting. Though mistakes are painful (sometimes financially), I want people working for me to make them, learn from them, then move on - that way I end up ahead in the end. It's when they cannot learn from them or blatantly lie to me that I let them go/become overly irritated. If I fire someone, it's for a pretty damned good reason and I assume that others in hiring/firing positions do the same.

My US$0.02. Do you want to stay? If so, show it proactively. In your situation some people show up TO work rather than showing up to WORK - do the latter if you want to stay and more than likely you will. Other than that, start looking and resign before getting fired.

Good luck.

Vinny the Anvil
:)
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!