ifics

Do you wear you're helmet?

not even going to get in the helmet debate... sometimes i don't some times i do... mostly i do... how else would i hold my camera and audible.. besides i have wcked myself on the inside of the plane enough and the ground that it has helped me a bit!!!

Most all of my jumps are RW and I wear a full-face as a rule. I've been kicked in the face a couple times and it would have been a bloody mess.

..I agree, I wear a full-face Havok. Mainly because my RW jumps tend to be with other 'A' licenses, and I'm not foolin' myself into believing that we're the epitome of stability up there. I've delivered a couple of these face kicks on accident; once from the other guy's misjudgement, once from mine :$. I'll consider jumping my husband's open-face mind-warp on a sunset jump just for added visibility in lower light, but other than that, the full-face is preferable to this 'combat RW' kid, as somebody had said out on the DZ once a week or so ago...wasn't referring to me, but if the shoe fits...kick 'em with it (No no, just kidding!) :P
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

I wear it. In Finland it's mandatory sub 500 jumps.

For those who don't wear.
This is a song by Finnish Ahma, released in Suomi Finland Perkele compilation 2.

Ahma - I Wear No Helmet

I Wear No Helmet

I wear no helmet
and if I crash my soul / come down in flames
scars inside my skin add to the everlasting diary I've kept
See: I fly above thou without a safety net
knowing what Icarus did not
But I don't need to care 'cause I'm the sun myself
Crawl at my feet
Now be gone
I am what Nietzsche meant
But he didn't know me

I wear no helmet
and if I lose my breath / drown in deep waters
worms inside my lungs hold well the air I suck away from you
See: it is thy creation, division of the two sets
Now either one has got to give
The finger points at you 'cause I'm the god myself
Low life
Low demands
I am what Nietzsche meant
But he didn't know me

I wear no helmet
and if I choose mortality / tear my flesh apart
liquids from the open veins colour this grey thing you call life
See: I drew the map and you just followed
turns of thy forefathers
Dead end after another 'cause I'm the maze myself
© Santeri Pienimäki 1997

http://www.ahmametal.com

I wear my Gath all the time, mostly because I have a $230.00(AUD) pair of prescription goggles and I don't won't to loose them.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I don’t really have a choice in the matter, the BPA says we have to!

Not that wearing a helmet is a bad thing – I always wear my full face even for hop and pops. I did one jump without a helmet when I was last in the states and it took me hours to get all the knots out of my hair – I’m not in any hurry to do that again!

Vicki

It kind of makes me wonder about the regs here and there that require low-number jumpers to wear helmets - Doing RW, as you gain experience, you manuver more agressively and in much closer proximity to the other jumpers, (much the same with freeflying, I would suppose) thus increasing the chance of a freefall collision.

I could suppose the spirit and intention would be that newer jumpers have a greater likelyhood of muffing a landing and cracking a skull, while more experienced folks are more likely to kick one another in the face trying to snap a 360 using our bellybutton as the turn axis.

Easy Does It

Only VERY seldom on the last notice hop n pop do I leave my helmet in the hangar. Saved my melon from getting cracked open once, and I never know when it will do the same again for whatever reason. The feeling without one on doesn't out weigh the protection to my head I get with it.;)

Don't tell me I can't! I already know that! Haven't you seen my x-rays?

I used to jump without a helmet - even though my friends would give me a very hard time about it. Then, one of my best skydiving buds broke his neck in a freefly collision. That was enough for me.

Think about it this way - if you aren't going to wear one for yourself, wear one for your friend who may accidently bump into you someday in the sky. Gee, they may have to go the rest of their lives knowing they took out one of their buds cuz they didn't have a helmet on. Probably not the best gut feeling.

Save yourself and wear one. Just my two cents.

As was explained to me by a very experienced BPA jumper the reg's in the UK are actually because our aviation authority says we have to, not the parachute authority. If all DZ's fitted seatbelts in the jumpships then UK skydivers wouldnt have to wear them. I still think its a very good idea, if the oportunity presented itslef while i was jumping a broad i would probably try jumping without a helmet, so long as it was a solo [but then i have a Cypres and a spectre 210]. I cant see any reason not to where a helmet while jumping with others, other than the "want to look cool factor"

------------------------------------------------

"All men can fly, but sadly, only in one direction"

I wear mine on every freefly jump and hop and pop... occasionally I wont wear it on a crew jump since hearing eachother is neccessary. but other than that I wear mine... I see allot of people not wearing them on hop and pops...usually that is when I want mine the most since I will be working on my swoops and a helmet on the landing could prove usefulle...

-yoshi

if the oportunity presented itslef while i was jumping a broad i would probably try jumping without a helmet

I tried "jumping a broad" with a helmet once and we bumped heads, almost knocking her out. I don't wear my helmet when "jumping a broad" any more, lol.

TripleF

"Upon seeing the shadow of a pigeon, one must resist the urge to look up."

My team mate was complaining about his sore knee, the other night. His knee contacting my head/ helmet, caused his discomfort.
I do not want anyone to not wear a helmet, if fact i wear a full face when doing rw. But I do not want it to be any kind of rule. How about neck braces? there is always a good reason to mandate one more piece of "safety equipment". I like the increased awareness of no helmet. My choice, my head.

Don't run out of altitude and experience at the same time...

My team mate was complaining about his sore knee, the other night. His knee contacting my head/ helmet, caused his discomfort.

Good thing you had your helmet on or he might have knocked you out with his knee. Knees are less fragile than heads.
Nobody said anything about helmet rules. I wear mine as a precaution. I'm sure I could make safe skydives without it, but I'd rather not.

I knew a guy that tripped after landing, hit his head on a rock, died from swelling on the brain. If shit can happen on the ground it can happen in the air, it can happen anywhere. How many scrapes on my helmet would have been on my noggin:S, damn skippy I wear a helmet!

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868

I once shattered a helmet off my head, landing under a round reserve in a flooded field. Without the helmet I'd have likely drowned with a fractured skull instead of walking away with a very sore shoulder.

Only time I EVER jumped without a helmet was for an intentional water jump, where I reasoned the helmet would be more of a drowning hazard than any likelihood of a head bangin'.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

I used to never wear a helmet. Then I started jumping a camera. If I was filming, I was wearing. No film, no helmet. Well, it ended up that pretty much every jump I wore a camera, thus a helmet.

Fast forward to now. I got bit by the Bird Man Bug. I realized to possibility of spinning malfunctions are greatly increased while jumping a Bird Man Suit. This, combined with a System 3 helmet set up for both video and stills (snagadelic) was just not a good choice.

I retired the System 3. Pulled the cameras off it, and now it gathers dust. I did buy a Hawkeye TM to replace it though. The cameras are not mounted. This is a new helmet, as well as a new discipline for me. I wear the helmet on every jump, for the purpose of getting used to it being there (Not yet used to a very tight chin cup).

Eventually, I'll add the video back onto it. Then, after a good amount of jumps like that, I'll add the stills too.

Now, after all that, if I plan on NOT shooting video, will I wear a helmet? Nope.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1