mchamp

Your Reserve WL

Hi

Does your weight is 270 lb./ 122 Kg. ?

Your system = WINGS h/c & PR143 are FAA TSO'd items which have by LAW & the MFG. WEIGHT & SPEED limits based on tests & SAFETY FACTORS.

:( If you does weight around 270 Lb. (122 Kg.) you are jumping a NO-LEGAL TSO'd H/C & RESERVE.

The MAX GROSS WEIGHT for the PR143 is 254 Lb. (115 Kg.) & SAME for your WINGS h/c

These numbers are the MAX LEGAL LIMITS of the TSO'd system.

Working twice does not mean it should be the same next time.

You are RISKING yourself big time & also risk your DZO / Rigger
for let you jump a NON-LEGAL system.

One more point for you to think about: if you have personal insurance they might NOT cover you for jumping that system.

Be SMART & STOP jumping that system.

Cheers !!!

PdF Techno 155 loaded @ 1.6.

Used it one time and no problems flying and landing it although I would prefer a bigger reserve when I've got the money to buy a brand new Vector 3.

It's pretty hard to find a matching container for a 170 reserve if your exitweight is 250 Lbs and you're flying 139 and smaller main canopies.

As well as looking at container sizing, don't forget to get to look at Optimum reserves.

Forgot to mention that. When I buy a new Vector 3 I will also buy a Optimum because I can then get a reserve one size bigger.
Blue skies!

Hi

Just to inform you that your Techno 155R has a MAX GROSS WEIGHT of 220 Lb. / 100 Kg. & same your ATOM LEGEND H/C.

If you have an OLDER Techno 155R they were limited to 190 Lb./90 Kg.

At your present position you are jumping a Non-Legal / Non-Approved system.

The PdF Techno 155R & ATOM LEGEND are holding FAA & JTSO
TSO C23D & limited to 220 Lb./100 Kg. @ 150 Knots.

Read my post above & get the same advise - Do Not jump your system when your Exit weight is 250 Lb.

Be Smart.

Cheers

Hi

Your system = WINGS h/c & PR143 are FAA TSO'd items which have by LAW & the MFG. WEIGHT & SPEED limits based on tests & SAFETY FACTORS.

:( If you does weight around 270 Lb. (122 Kg.) you are jumping a NO-LEGAL TSO'd H/C & RESERVE.

The MAX GROSS WEIGHT for the PR143 is 254 Lb. (115 Kg.) & SAME for your WINGS h/c

One more point for you to think about: if you have personal insurance they might NOT cover you for jumping that system.

Cheers !!!

I know I have asked you this before, but why do you insist on referencing the FAA and American Law to people who do not live within their jurisdiction?

Hi

Cheers !!!

I know I have asked you this before, but why do you insist on referencing the FAA and American Law to people who do not live within their jurisdiction?

gravity pulls the same on you wherever you are. if it is not safe to handle that weight in america, it is not safe to handle that weight in the netherlands.

it doesn't matter if it is legal or not, it's stupid to not adhere to the manufactures recommendations.
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

Hi

Cheers !!!

gravity pulls the same on you wherever you are. if it is not safe to handle that weight in america, it is not safe to handle that weight in the netherlands.

it doesn't matter if it is legal or not, it's stupid to not adhere to the manufactures recommendations.

funny, the reserve's dont go bad in switzerland after 180 days, it takes a full year to do so. same gravity!
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

What makes this even more interesting is he is totally wrong about FAA Regulations and American law. It has been covered in many threads, but there is absolutely nothing in the FAR's that pertains to exit weight and/or reserve wing loading. There is nothing in the FAR's that says you must follow manufacturers recommendations regarding wing loading. There is nothing in Sec. 91.13 — Careless or reckless operation that applies to operations of parachutes. In the USA you can have an exit weight of 500 lbs and jump any TSO'd reserve and not be violating any laws or regulations. No rigger will get in trouble and no pilot will lose their ticket.

It is a bad idea to overload a reserve, but it is 'legal' to do so.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

Hi

Cheers !!!

funny, the reserve's dont go bad in switzerland after 180 days, it takes a full year to do so. same gravity!

leaving a reserve packed for a year is no big deal. but if you have to use that reserve, i would want my weight to fall in the parameters it is designed for.

if parachute b is only designed for x amount of weight, then you should not overload it especially when it is your last chance.

like i said in my earlier post, i don't care if it is legal or not and i have no idea what is legal and not.

will the overloaded reserve work... good chance
will the reserver loaded correctly work... great chance

i know which one i will take.
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

:)
There is nothing to do with USA law - it has to do with the TSO that the system is APPROVED under & must be respected worldwide & no matter where the system was made - limits were set for a reason & they must be followed.

It has to do with the system Mfg. manual which is the system book & show you all you need & yes limits as well.

The Civil Aviation / Law in other countries has the same rules regarding parachute systems limits based on the test were done & Mfg. instructions shows that.

It has to do with BASIC SAFETY logic = not jumping an un safe
system for the user who is/her are over the max. weight limits.

Think about that.

Cheers

There is nothing to do with USA law - it has to do with the TSO that the system is APPROVED under & must be respected worldwide & no matter where the system was made - limits were set for a reason & they must be followed.

It has to do with the system Mfg. manual which is the system book & show you all you need & yes limits as well.

The Civil Aviation / Law in other countries has the same rules regarding parachute systems limits based on the test were done & Mfg. instructions shows that.

It has to do with BASIC SAFETY logic = not jumping an un safe
system for the user who is/her are over the max. weight limits.

Think about that.

Cheers

Shlomo, that’s bull shit and you should know it by now. Attached is the complete text of TSO-C23d. This document makes reference to SAE AS-8015B. This is the standard that “approved” parachute equipment must be tested to. Nowhere in TSO-C23d or any other FAA document does it mention anything about the size a parachute the end user must have. I think you had better check with other countries before you set their laws for them. Title 14, CFR’s is only enforceable in the US.
SAE AS-8015B is not even an FAA document, it was written by the Society of Automotive Engineers.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Nowhere in TSO-C23d or any other FAA document does it mention anything about the size a parachute the end user must have.

+1

I wish there were a sticky in gear and rigging called "Myths about Reserve Wing Loading" so this wouldn't be discussed every 3 months.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

Thanks for your input but it is not accurate.

Did I talked about SIZE of reserve ? NO ! sorry that W/L is a mix of size & weight.

I pointed of the TSO / MFG. limits of WEIGHT - the mfg. put a limit for a reason based on the tests made within the TSO guide lines.

The SAE AS-8015B is a legal document which is the base for the TSO tests & the FAA TSO is based on that technical paperwork.

The TSO have no reason th talk about the size of the canopy - it gives the Mfg. test guide lines based on the SAE & with a SAFETY FACTOR number (TSO C23D factor is 1.2)

The limits are there based on the tests & the Safety Factor.

It is WRONG that skydivers overload the reserves by being OVER the MAX GROSS WEIGHT limits.

Cheers

The SAE AS-8015B is a legal document

It is not a “legal document” it is a technical standard published by a professional group, SAE. It has no force of law at least not in the US.

Did I talked about SIZE of reserve ? NO ! sorry that W/L is a mix of size & weight.

You can’t talk W/L, Max. Operating Weight and Max Operating Speed without referring to canopy size.

While I agree it in not very smart to load a reserve over MOW it is not now nor has it ever been against the law in the US.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Smart 150 at 1.47.

Pretty happy to leave the reserve downsizing there as my mains get slowly smaller - would go to a 143 maybe, to fit into my next container choice.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Glad to see so many people participated within this poll ! Perhaps this reflects a general idea where the majority of people load their reserves

I see some load their reserves above 1.6.....i can't load any reserve more than 1.4 without even if I wanted to.....probably won't ever lol
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

my reserve is 225 sq.feet...:|

if i have a cutaway,
i'll be loading it @ less than 1 to 1B|

if i have a total,
i'll be loading it at More than 1 to 1 ..;)

jmy

Big mac?

Happy meal?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message