mchamp

Your Reserve WL

ZP fabric does not make a canopy design fly and better than the same design made of and F-111 type of material. It just allows the canopy to maintain the flight characteristics longer.

Sparky

Is this really true?

Brand new ZP should be almost 100% impervious to air whereas brand new F-111 will be "leaky" right from the factory.

There has to be an advantage of ZP over F-111 besides life-time. When ZP fabrics wear out and become porous they are more similar to F-111 and generally considered "ragged out".

Am I missing something here?
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

>Brand new ZP should be almost 100% impervious to air whereas brand new F-111 will
> be "leaky" right from the factory.

Not so much. (It's also not all F-111, that's a specific type of fabric that few manufacturers use nowadays.) Most non-ZP fabrics start out pretty tight; a PD150 flies a lot like a Sabre 150 at first.

>When ZP fabrics wear out and become porous they are more similar to F-111 and
>generally considered "ragged out".

Again, not so much. PD did a study a while back on old ZP fabrics, and while some did increase their porosity*, most held up for thousands of jumps. In general, sun and packing damage will end a ZP canopy's life by making it too weak to withstand the stress of opening before it becomes unlandable due to porosity.

(* - There have been 'famous' batches of fabric that had very specific problems, and some colors of fabrics fare better than others due to the inherent UV protection in their pigments.)

ZP fabric does not make a canopy design fly and better than the same design made of and F-111 type of material. It just allows the canopy to maintain the flight characteristics longer.

Sparky

Is this really true?

Brand new ZP should be almost 100% impervious to air whereas brand new F-111 will be "leaky" right from the factory.

There has to be an advantage of ZP over F-111 besides life-time. When ZP fabrics wear out and become porous they are more similar to F-111 and generally considered "ragged out".

Am I missing something here?

What ever you say sport.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

>Sure, but there is a limit to the differences in the canopy sizes that can be
>hobbled together in a rig.

In many cases, yes. Fortunately, manufacturers are now starting to offer radically different sizings. You can get a rig designed for a 109 main and a 160 reserve nowadays, which goes a long way towards letting even competitive swoopers jump a reasonably loaded reserve.

Very informative, Bill. Thank you.

I learned something today!

Asking questions is important, but listening is more important.

OK, I am listening. What's your point?
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Smaller reserve is around 1.6 Naturally it's MUCH more lightly loaded after chopping the main

if you have a total mal it won't be.

Other than the obvious I don't get it, likely my lack of a sense of humor.

Edited to add: I just noticed that you are an engineer, that explains everything. ;)
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

In Reply To

Smaller reserve is around 1.6 Naturally it's MUCH more lightly loaded after chopping the main

Edited to add: I just noticed that you are an engineer, that explains everything. ;)

ah, snap! :-)

In Reply To

Surely with 12 years in, you are joking, right?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I am going to respectfully disagree with this. If the FAA TSO'd parachute is certified up to a maximum gross weight than you cannot legally jump it above that weight. This is no different than flying an airplane over a certified max gross weight. This is not a manufacturers recommendation, it is a certification limit.

However the reality is that the FAA could care less what you do. Their view is your an idiot for jumping in the first place.

I know I have asked you this before, but why do you insist on referencing the FAA and American Law to people who do not live within their jurisdiction?

What makes this even more interesting is he is totally wrong about FAA Regulations and American law. It has been covered in many threads, but there is absolutely nothing in the FAR's that pertains to exit weight and/or reserve wing loading. There is nothing in the FAR's that says you must follow manufacturers recommendations regarding wing loading. There is nothing in Sec. 91.13 — Careless or reckless operation that applies to operations of parachutes. In the USA you can have an exit weight of 500 lbs and jump any TSO'd reserve and not be violating any laws or regulations. No rigger will get in trouble and no pilot will lose their ticket.

It is a bad idea to overload a reserve, but it is 'legal' to do so.

This is just my opinion of a very complex and vague subject. But I feel if you over load either you harness/container or you reserve you are in violation of FAR’s and the FAA can make it stick if the so wish.
I do not think the FAA came up with the numbers just to give the manufacture something to fill in the blanks with.

Sparky

105.3____ Definitions.

Approved parachute means a parachute manufactured under a type certificate or a Technical Standard Order (C–23 series), or a personnel-carrying U.S. military parachute (other than a high altitude, high speed, or ejection type) identified by a Navy Air Facility, an Army Air Field, and Air Force-Navy drawing number, an Army Air Field order number, or any other military designation or specification number.

Technical Standard Order

Subject: TSO-C23d, PERSONNEL PARACHUTE ASSEMBLIES

(2) The manufacturer must furnish to the user of the article one copy of the data and information specified in paragraphs c(l)(ii) and c(l)(v). This data and information is necessary for proper installation and use and for continued airworthiness of the product or article.

“The conditions and test required for TSO approval of this article are minimum performance standards. It is the responsibility of those desiring to install the article either on or within a specific type or class of aircraft to determine that the aircraft installation conditions are within the TSO standards. The article may be installed only if further evaluation by the applicant (user/installer) documents an acceptable installation and is approved by the Administrator.”

Note: Wording is often meant to apply to all forms of aviation not just parachutes.

My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I don't think this justify's a new thread so I'll ask it here, What max Reserve WL would you deem survivable/safe to land unconscious provided open flat terrain? I remember someone posted that 1.4 WL gave them a decent rate of 17mph with brakes stowed.

If you haven't posted in the poll please don't post those stats there simply type the numbers here thanks
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

After jumping mine i wanted to lengthen my breakline by 2 or 3 inches on smart 120, loaded at 1.7

It was stalling when i was in full arm length, deep breaks chasing my main.
Its rear riser didn't do much neither staying afloat
I do remember smart 175 had fairly deep stall point.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016