panzwami

state of the union

Can I say again how happy I was to hear all those people clap when he said "the patriot act will expire soon"

Can I saw how happy I was when the clapping grew ten fold a couple seconds later when he said "...but the threat of terrorism will never expire?" :P

-Kramer

The FAKE KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!

In reality, Bush's statements on gay marriage were focused on the ignorant and arrogant liberal judges in some states who have acted in direct opposition to the will of the people.

I'd say the reality is those statements were directed toward ignorant and, welll just ignorant "social conservatives" who, like Jerry Fallwell, think that if we don't outlaw things like homosexuality god will smite us all. It was a campaign speech after all. I think Shrub should have been required to pay the going rate for ad time out of the millions of donations he's gotten for his primary "run".

Never go to a DZ strip show.

Untrue!

There -were- sections of the speech in which both sides of the aisle gave GWB a standing O.

The "permission slip" quote was as far as I could see universally well received.

There were others. I'll have to rewatch it. Yes, I'm a big enough political geek to have taped it.

Did you notice how in most of those instances it seemed, at least to me, as if they felt like "oh shit, we better stand up and clap for this one, we don't want people thinking that we think we do need a 'permission slip'" But, like I said, defend ourselves from what? Really, we still haven't seen how Iraq was such a great threat to us...

Never go to a DZ strip show.

Yes, I think he will too.

I was enlightened to see the GOP not stand when the Patriot Act was brought up. It is a freedom taker.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Otherwise, I thought it was a well-delivered speech. One of hte things that amazes me the most about GWB as Pres is that it appears that from campaign to present he has actually learned something about being a politician - like how to give a speech.

You guys do remember his old ones, right? I think he should definitely get the ribbon for "most improved".

GWB has always given two types of speeches, on-script, where he does not deviate from what has been written and those where he has gone off-script and made extemporaneous comments.

Most of his on-script speeches, while I might not agree with, are usually fairly good performances.

Most of his "Bushisms" (really dumb sounding stuff) comes from when he goes off-script.

There are notable exceptions to both. I personally believe it was a huge mistake for him to use the phrase "Axis of Evil", but I believe that was an on-script performance. He vetted the speech and clearly everyone on his speech writing staff thought it was a good idea, but holy smokes you couldn't have picked a worse phrase if you had tried.

You'll notice that in last night's speech he had stopped using the phrase.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Direct opposition to the will of the people???

How about the direct opposition to the will of the people when it comes to spending and the decisions he has made about the economy and taxes, etc. Let's face it, politicians are going to do what they want to do....to hell with "the people". Besides this issue should not be a government issue.

I'm soooo glad I'm not in politics.
Que sera sera

There are notable exceptions to both. I personally believe it was a huge mistake for him to use the phrase "Axis of Evil", but I believe that was an on-script performance. He vetted the speech and clearly everyone on his speech writing staff thought it was a good idea, but holy smokes you couldn't have picked a worse phrase if you had tried.

He got that trait from his father, I guess. Remember how quickly "New World Order" got changed to "New American Century" after Bush I used that phrase in one of his SOTU speeches?

He got that trait from his father, I guess. Remember how quickly "New World Order" got changed to "New American Century" after Bush I used that phrase in one of his SOTU speeches?

Should be "New Secular Order", like it says on the dollar bill.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

best.....speech.....ever.

Matt
-----

I thought Al Gores concession speach was better.

You are comparing good speech with good news.

Apples and Oranges.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

"But you're correct, I guess, those voted into Congress after 1983(4?) now also pay into SS as well."
--------------------------------------------------------
I've been toying with an idea for some time now....
Since they refuse to pass term limits..................
Impose your own - It goes something like this........
(With the exception of those you feel are doing
a good job), simply vote the encumbants out,
and keep voting them out until they get the message!!--??
D

crossposted:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not one word about Osama bin Laden. Hmm. I guess as far as national priorities go, capturing the man responsible for 9/11 ranks somewhat lower than getting professional athletes to stop using steroids.
--------------------------------------------------------

Whoever wrote this has a way with words,.

Best critic I've heard yet. :D:D

D

I'm glad he allows his religious beliefs to effect the lives of those in the country that don't follow his beliefs.....ignorant and arrogant.

In reality, Bush's statements on gay marriage were focused on the ignorant and arrogant liberal judges in some states who have acted in direct opposition to the will of the people.

I didn't realize it was the role of the Judiciary to conform to the will of the people.
I always thought that they were supposed to determine what is and what is not acceptable application of law under our constitution.

It falls to the legislative branch to write laws that reflect the will of the people, assuming, of course, that such laws aren't in conflict with the constitution.
-Josh

If you have time to panic, you have time to do something more productive. -Me*
*Ron has accused me of plagiarizing this quote. He attributes it to Douglas Adams.

Can I say again how happy I was to hear all those people clap when he said "the patriot act will expire soon"

Can I saw how happy I was when the clapping grew ten fold a couple seconds later when he said "...but the threat of terrorism will never expire?" :P

yeah, I thought this was a great little piece of speechwriting. Start off by saying the Patriot Act will expire, and wait for all the Dems to start clapping. But then come back and point out that terrorism never expires, and make them all look like asshats.

Matt
-----

yeah, I thought this was a great little piece of speechwriting. Start off by saying the Patriot Act will expire, and wait for all the Dems to start clapping. But then come back and point out that terrorism never expires, and make them all look like asshats.

So lemme ask you this . . . if I do a little edit . . . just starting the clip when GWB says, "...but the threat of terrorism will never expire" and then let the clip roll to show the Republicans applaud that, how stupid do they look?

I know, I know, you're going to say that it would be taken out of context. Go ahead and put the President's remarks back into context and make a complete sentace out of what he said. Whether you agee with the edit or not, they applauded the fact that the threat of terrorism will never expire.

They thought they were being clever by by applauding and trying to shout down dissent, but in doing so, they totally lost sight of what the President was actually saying.

I don't think it was a brillian piece of speechwriting. I think it was an imbecilic show of partisan oneupsmanship that backfired.

Or maybe it was just a Republican/Freudian slip.
quade -

I wasn't bashing GWB in that last post! I was bashing the idiots that decided it was a good idea to applaud the fact that he said terorrism will continue. Am I the only person that caught that?

Anyway, as for November . . .

Wanna put any money on it? ;)

What do you think is the over/under on Bush v Unnamed Democratic Candidate?

I mean, yeah, he got a pretty serious bump based on his performance last night (most Presidents do), but the race just started. To predict a landslide victory by anyone is pretty bold this far out.
quade -