panzwami

state of the union

Dude, I like GWB as a hypocritical libertarian who tends to vote Republican, but I didn't like this speech very much. I did like portions of it.

I thought it was way too heavy on foreign policy and defending his implementation of it. I also thought it was a bit unfocused on foreign policy as a whole and domestic policy seemed a bit unfocused as well.

Things I DID like:

- he supports partial privatization of SS. This is desparately needed or all of us younger folks are screwed.

- making permanent the initial tax cut. I DON'T support the structure of his second one, for the record.

- call to make the marriage penalty go the way of the dodo

- US doesn't need a permission slip - good quote :)
- prisoner rehab program; good idea

- good to bring the recent economy's performance up; good political move

Among others. Don't have the transcript in front of me. Average speech - Anvil opinion.
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

"There is a difference, however, between leading a coalition of many nations, and submitting to the objections of a few. America will never seek a permission slip to defend the security of our people."

Maybe in future he should be a little more certain as to the threat posed by people he plans to "defend against".

As for "submitting to the objections of a few"........perhaps it should be phrased, "listening to the valid argument of enlightened, influential people", who at the moment are in a pretty good position to say "I told ya so"

Q, I'm always laughing at the process. I have my preferences, but so long as we don't re-write the Constitution we're all pretty safe. (OMG! The "insert other side" IS trying to rewrite the Constitution! Don't you understand?!):P

Yeah, I understand, that's why it's so hard to change. Anybody remember the Women's Rights Act?

And the audience shots were precious. My man GW never had the opposition for a moment.

My man GW never had the opposition for a moment.

Untrue!

There -were- sections of the speech in which both sides of the aisle gave GWB a standing O.

The "permission slip" quote was as far as I could see universally well received.

There were others. I'll have to rewatch it. Yes, I'm a big enough political geek to have taped it.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Daschle quote: "In his speech, the president asked us to make permanent the tax cuts already passed. He asked us to create more tax shelters for the wealthy, and he asked us to use Social Security money to pay for it." --- Dude...it's not going to work...no solutions. I listened to the speech and I heard nothing of the sort.

Wow, you shouda listened a little more closely.

From the transcript on CNN.com

I rest my case. Where specifically did W call for continued "tax shelters for the wealthy and use SS to pay for it."

Don't hurt yourself. :P I'll give you clue. It wasn't there. :o
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

You don't have to agree with the analysis, but you asked the question and it was answered.

Now I'm confused.

So, Daschle says, "tax cuts for the rich" ... again.

I wrote, that W said no such thing in his speech.

You wrote I should've listened more clearly...which I think was in general disagreement to my assessment.

Then I asked, where did W state what Daschle whined about and you said I answered the question at the same time.

So, does that mean you agreed with me? B|
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Quote;

My question about the second quote is how then does he intend to fund current Social Security payouts? Social Security is very much like a Ponzi scheme that relies on current "investors" to pay off people that invested before them. The entire Social Security system is flawed to be sure and if I were a young person just starting out working I'd get behind GWBs plan as quickly as I could, but as a person that has paid into the system for 29 years, I'd like it to be there in some form when I need it. Not that it probably will be, but I'd like to think it -could- be -- I'm still hopeful.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Correct me if I'm wrong...
Isn't it true that Gov. employees do not pay into SS?
(& if so 'all gov. employees'?)

D

The answer is, I believe, yes and no.

I believe the rule changed in 1983 and that most, if not all, federal employees hired after that date pay into Social Security.

Now, there are some real obvious and yet goofy exceptions that I can think of, Congress for instance, does NOT pay into nor does it receive any Social Security. They have their own special pension plan.
quade -

That WAS the first half of his speech dude. For the most part.

With regards to the social security discussion, I believe he's going to propose something of this nature:

- you have the option to stick with the current program if you so desire

- you also have the option to apportion up to a certain percentage - say 5% - to a private account you control and invest

- at retirement, the gov't will guarantee a certain monthly income. For those who choose the partially privatized route, fthe $$ comes from your account and SS pay-in a slightly higher income for those who choose not to go the partially-privatized route. If market trends hold then the government would save tons of $$ under such a scheme and maintain SS benefits. Many who choose the partial-privatized route would get mainly $$ from their own private accounts.
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

Congress for instance, does NOT pay into nor does it receive any Social Security. They have their own special pension plan.

False...Congress USED to have its own program...Now they pay SS

www.snopes.com/politics/taxes/pensions.asp
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

my room mate and I watched around 3 solid seconds before we had had enough.......... off to the Jon Stewart show and Real World San DIego... YYAYAAAAAYyYYY!!!!

Accelerate hard to get them looking, then slam on the fronts and rollright beside the car, hanging the back wheel at eye level for a few seconds. Guaranteed reaction- Dave Sonsky

state of the union

here i ws thinking there were 50 states... so what state is the union in???? goergia? ohio? utah??? california????? huh.. what if the union moved to canada.. then w ould be in a province..... then would it be providence of the union.......... someting to think about.....

yes it is late and i'm very non political............sorry for the random thoughts....

Congress still DOES have it's own pension plan separate of SS.

But you're correct, I guess, those voted into Congress after 1983(4?) now also pay into SS as well.

Like I said, yes and no.
quade -

I've read about half of the comments here - there is definately a large amount of emotion out there.

Most of you know where I stand.

I wasn't all that impressed with his speech to the point of Elation as some were.
I was impressed in how he dealt with his nay sayers though - he brought it out and stated his points, gave his evidence, and went on about things.

Over all it was ok, just OK. It could have been better, but it did the job.

The tax bill needs to be either extended, or put permanent.

As much as it is hated by the left and as much as they would love it not to happen - the economy is growing stronger. There is no denying that.

That's what is paramount for me, and I assume most people.

on a lighter note:
A funny point in the coverage was when miss Hillary was standing there - she's not lookin' too good, but obviously she was warned that she was on TV cuz then she started clapping and a smile replaced the omnipresent scowl - that was funny to me
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

on a lighter note:
A funny point in the coverage was when miss Hillary was standing there - she's not lookin' too good, but obviously she was warned that she was on TV cuz then she started clapping and a smile replaced the omnipresent scowl - that was funny to me

I actually thought the same thing for a moment, but then came to my senses. I mean, -how- would she have been told? Did the director of the C-SPAN coverage have a bug in her ear? Probably not.

My guess is she was laughing at something that someone near her said in responce to something GWB said. It sort of looked like she was trying to say something under her breath.

BTW, unless it's something they really just -can't- be seen on camera applauding, they almost always do. It's the standing ovation that is the real tell on wheter or not they agree with something.

In that respect, I sure would have hated to have been on the Republican side late night. Their quads really got a work out.
quade -

Yeah that brought a smile to my face as well.
Was I the only one that saw the three soldiers getting a bollocking at the beginning of the coverage? I think they were being told not to smile but there was a definite finger wagging motion from the guy in grey talking to them.

David

You know, I am just going to steal a quote from Anvil that I wish I had written myself to introduce this: "Dude, I like GWB as a hypocritical libertarian who tends to vote Republican, but I didn't like this speech very much. I did like portions of it." That pretty much sums up both my politics and my view of the speech.

ChasingBuleSky said:
>>Can I say again how happy I was to hear all those people clap when he said "the patriot act will expire soon" <<

That took a lot of guts, and I agreed with it. I think the Patriot Act is an abomination, and I am a little surprised that GWB won't even give lip service to the pollsters that are telling him that he is losing his conservative base with his support of it as well as seriously scaring the middle of the road libs.

Otherwise, I thought it was a well-delivered speech. One of hte things that amazes me the most about GWB as Pres is that it appears that from campaign to present he has actually learned something about being a politician - like how to give a speech.

You guys do remember his old ones, right? I think he should definitely get the ribbon for "most improved".

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com