Gravitymaster

Microwave power downlink path?

its that damn hold in the ozone layer... :P

Seriously got no idea what it could be, I doubt its the link to a satellite, generally speaking the received power level from one of those things is in the order of micro Watts (10 -6) so even at that cloud height I can't imagine the power is high enough to affect clouds in that way. If anything the clouds would absorb some of the signal anyway.

i'v got pictures of something like that. I'll try and find the slides and get them scanned. Saw it near San Diego.
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

Just like bubbles of air called thermals rise in the air, cold air also is drawn downward. This series of photos is an amazingly good illustration. If you took them yourself, you might consider their value in a metrological textbook.

The whispy clouds in the center of the formation are called virga.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Where was it, and what geographical features were around?

I once encountered clouds just like this when flying over Mono Lake in CA (or is it NV). The lake water, being colder than the surrounding land, had resulted in local downdrafts that prevented clouds forming over the lake. I was above the clouds, but they still looked wierd.

We often see abrupt cloud termination along the Lake Michigan shoreline too, but Lake Michigan is too big to see all the way around.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Anybody have any idea what could have caused this? I'm thinking microwave power downlink path.

Those are pretty cool looking, and I'm thinking just local updrafts or downdrafts.

besides, do we actually have microwave power yet? I assumed that it was still just an idea or maybe at the prototype stage.

MB 3528, RB 1182

The whispy clouds in the center of the formation are called virga.

I sent a PM to Captain gravitymaster.

someting cause the water to fall out ... why couldn't it be a jumper?

I don't think those kind of clouds would stop jumpers.... but , Do you think you could drop a jumper to cause this? Wind test and hole ... all in one.

imagine funding for jumpers preventing pinic rainouts

As a meteorologist I have seen pics of stuff like this before. It appears to be a test for cloud seeding. In the past seeding was popular to try an promote cloud development by putting up "Condensation Nucleus" for latent moisture to condense on.

Recent test are being performed to do the opposite. Seeding storms to deter their development. There is thought that seeding hurricanes before they approached land would help to minimize their impact.

Often when doing these test they use "Strato-deck clouds" because they are easily measured. Due to their thin size and relatively regular density, it is easy for meteorologists to determine the volume of ice/h20 they are testing.

Quade is right, the stuff in the middle is "Verga" but it does not appear to be natural verga. What you are seeing is the reaction of the H2O and (what ever chemical they use) to artificially evaporate the moisture. THe reason the Verga appears to be lower than the cloud deck is because the water and chemical combine to become less buoyant then the moisture in their surrounding environment.

I would be really curious to hear where this was.

Chris

-----------------------------------------------------
Sometimes it is more important to protect LIFE than Liberty

Anybody have any idea what could have caused this? I'm thinking microwave power downlink path.

"Look! Aliens!" :D

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Hmmm, testing for cloud seeding . . . I suppose it's possible that a single ejectable seeding flare might also have this effect.

Normally when I think of cloud seeding I think of longish strips of effected area and usually on much thicker clouds, but a test seems plausable.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver