steve1

Brother is about dead...Too much boose.

I'm very sorry to hear about your brother. I've lost a few buddies to alcohol and drugs, and it's all shit. Heartfelt prayer for all of you.

billy d------------------------- "Escape may be checked by water and land, but the air and the sky are free." (from the story of Daedalus and Icarus)

What a great group of people! I feel really close to many of you, even though I've never met most of you in person. My family all knew my brother couldn't last, but we kept hoping it wouldn't happen.

I counsel school kids on death, but to tell you the truth I haven't experienced much of it first hand. I just finished a grief group with five little 5th graders about an hour ago. They have all lost parents due to drinking (one way or another). I won't bore you with all the details but, one of the mothers died last week of Cirrosis at 27 years of age. I remember this same girl when she was a cute little 4th grader in my class about 17 years ago. She started drinking, and couldn't stop. She left behind a couple little kids who are really hurting inside. Pretty sad stuff.

Thanks again for your support. And do come to Lost Prairie if you can. We'll have some fun and forget all the crap life throws at us at times.....Steve1

Sorry man. It's always hard losing someone, even harder when it's because they were abusing themselves. You always think you could have done something to help them/stop them. Just remember that everyone has to live their own life and make their own choices. No one on earth can change anyone else unless they want to change themselves.

Dude, {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{VIBES}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} to you and your family.
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

I would dispute the live and let live philosophy. Often it is the case when the damage is started that the young person does not fully appreciate that what they are doing to their body is permanent! I think lots of tragedy could be avoided if friends and family could try to step in earlier on to show the person what will be the outcome if they continue. Instead of just making a cute metaphore out of an egg in a frying pan, why not show kids actual brain scans, black lungs, and rotten livers. We protect ourselves from disease and death to such an extent that it doesn't seem real, especially not to a teen ager or 20 year old! By the time they figure out that they are mortal, it's too late, addiction and disease have already taken hold! Educate the young B 4 it's 2 late! :)

Just got the news that my brother, Scott died last night. It's a relief really, because of all the suffering he's been through. Not to mention all the grief it put my poor Mom through. At the end he couldn't eat anything. My Mom was trying to spoon feed him a few teaspoons of food yesterday and he started vomiting blood all over and crapping blood. He was in a great deal of pain last night and finally died. His legs were about the size of my mother's wrists. What a lousy way to die! A dog or horse would have been put to sleep a long time ago.

At any rate the next plan is trying to figure out a way to keep from getting ripped off by the funeral parlor. My other brother is planning to drive the body back to Montana after Scott is embalmed. This may not be legal, but my brother works law enforcement and he hopes he can do it. I know this sounds kind of morbid to think of hauling dead kin-folk around in the back of your truck, but if it will save thousands of dollars why not.

I may come down to Palm Springs after the funeral and help my Mom and Step-Dad move or sell Scott's stuff. I may also get over to Perris to make a few jumps. It's been months since I've been in the air. Thanks again for you support through all this....Steve1

You have my complete sympathy.

Drinking has long been a tradition in my family and we've lost many to alcoholism.

The pain is sometimes too much to bear and it seems like a snowball, once it starts growing and rolling it just keeps going.

Just thinking about it makes my heart heavy. Peace and warmth to you and your family. Losing someone in any manner is painful, but this one is definitly tougher than the usual.

I hope you all heal from this and will keep you in my prayers.

peace,

Jack
It's a gas, gas, gas...

I'm terribly sorry to hear the news. I hope you are okay with handling it all. If there is anything we can do, please let us know through the forums or PM's. We can be really good listeners and maybe offer some advice.

Take care of yourself!
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

Sorry about your loss man, from what you wrote your family and in particular your mom have been through a terrible time. I do hope that with time things get better for you.

Regarding the expense of the funeral parlour and moving the body, wouldn't it be easier to have him cremated? I don't know if this is against your beliefs or anything, but would seem to be the cheaper option.

My thoughts are with you and your family.

Will

Steve,

I'm sorry. Prayers for you and your family. I wish I could say something that would help, but afraid that there is nothing that I can say that would help. I'll just have to remember you and your family in my prayers. May God Bless you.
--------
To put your life in danger from time to time ... breeds a saneness in dealing with day-to-day trivialities.

--Nevil Shute, Slide Rule

Steve,

My sympathies go out to you and all your family. What a tough time. I found you get torn in two at this time...one is, you miss your loved one and want him alive; the other is, you're thankful he is out of so much pain.

Hang in there, and know my prayers are with you all.

Chris

I am so sorry for your loss. It is so difficult to lose a sibling. I hope you know that you are in my thoughts and I hope you get through the difficult days ahead without too much pain. This will be extremely hard for your Mother, so tell her, prayers and hugs are going to all of you.

Jan

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.

I agree cremation would be a whole lot easier. My Mom wants a funeral though, so I guess that's what it'll be. She also wants a catholic funeral, so I guess we have to go with that too.

I told my wife that when I go that I want to be cremated and then have an ash dive with my old Pals. I'd also like to keep the religious part out of it, but that's just me. My brother wanted to have a traditional funeral. So I guess we're doing the right thing. I think he wanted to be buried in a different grave yard, but he didn't write anything out, so we're going with what my Mom thinks is best. Thanks....Steve1

Steve, my deepest sympathies are with you. You are not far from my heart, and should you and/or your family need any assistence in Palm Springs, I would be more than willing to do what I can for you.

Rest easy knowing that your brother is out of physical pain, resting now in a way he was unable to here, and know that he is near the Creator; and know that he now is perfect, and made whole again, and happy in a way not accomplished on this earth.

Blessed be, Steve. You are in my prayers.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

I too am very sorry for your loss, but as someone else said, he is now out of pain.
I'd also like to thank you personally for sharing this with us, me in particular. Hearing things like this is kind of a necessity for me. It reminds me of what could happen if I choose to drink again. Im an alcoholic and its almost a sure bet that if I do drink, I may end up like your brother. Again, sorry for your loss and, again, thank you for sharing this.
Prayers for you and yours

dropdeded
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

Ed,
I have nothing but respect for anyone who is an alcoholic and can quit. It's terrible how this disease runs in families. My wife and I were both raised in alcoholic homes. My wife's Dad drank himself to death over Christmas a few years back. He was also had of Cirrosis of the liver and was skin and bones at the time of his death. It's amazing that my own father is still alive with all the drinking he has done. He get's bombed out of his mind every day on whisky, and he also has Cirrosis of the liver.

At any rate the wife and I are trying to break the Cycle. We don't drink a whole lot, and my kids have never seen us drunk....But the kids are still having problems. Both are in college, and both have shown severe signs of depression over the past couple years. We've undoubtedly passed some dysfunctional garbage on down to them that we learned growing up. Some of this is biological, but there's more to it than that. The oldest daughter is the family "Hero" and a perfectionist. She's really hard on herself. She feels nothing she does is good enough and has very low self esteem. The youngest daughter is the family "Clown" and has a great sense of humor to relieve the stress in the family.

It's awful how alcoholism starts showing up again in later generations, even though the parents don't drink. Our oldest daughter is in counseling when we can get her to go and is taking an anti-depressant to cope. The youngest daughter is doing quite a bit of drinking and smoking now. We talk to her about the dangers of alcoholism, but it kind of goes in one ear and out the other. Maybe her uncle dieing will be a lesson for her. Thanks for your input.....Steve1