WrongWay

Bad DZ.....

No, but it is only a mattrer of time before quite a few someones would, as is always the case on this forum!
--------
To put your life in danger from time to time ... breeds a saneness in dealing with day-to-day trivialities.

--Nevil Shute, Slide Rule

Didn't you ever have only 70 jumps? Would it have been so bad to make one jump with that guy? He might have surprised you on a really fun three way. He might have learned something from you and increased his skill level.

Sorry you got bumped off the nine-way, but your attitude sucks.

Hi Kitty

Thanks for your input.Lets remember the subject is bad DZ's

If I wanted to help someone out I wouldn't have traveled 2000 miles and slept in a tent. I would have stayed home and jumped at the local DZ and did a fun way way with a low timer.

We weren't asked to help the low timer we were drafted. I'm not a employee of the DZ I'm a customer. If I wanted to help someone out the choice should have been mine. Earlier in the week we jumped with two low timers by ourself one insisted on not wearing a jumpsuit:S. Instead of a nice three way drill drive we ended up with a challenging two way with the one jumper (the one without the jump suit) someplace, not good for safety.

I won't comment on your opinion of my attitude.:)

But I do have another funny story about a bad DZ.

A buddy invited me out to the local DZ for a 10 way from a porter, dirt dive 10:00am.

We show up prior to the appointed time and found out the loads already had 10 people manifested. To bad so sad. We lurk the load and everyones just hanging out. all nine of them.

One hour later one of the other jumpers girlfriend shows up (she had the tenth slot) she wasn't packed, had a new canopy that wasn't even connected to the risers.:o:).

To give the lady some credit she was a little embarrased that she was late, not ready to jump and the load had waited on her. So the boys helped her assemble her rig and the load finally took off two hours late.

The DZO was present the whole time. I didn't complain, snivel, bitch etc. After the plane took off I left and didn't jump again for 5-6 yr's.

Lets remember the subect of the thread isn't bashing Feamale jumpers etc it's bad DZ's.:)

Stay tuned if this thread continues long enough we'll have some more examples.

R.I.P.

I gotta agree here. It is a shame that someone with 1300 jumps considers jumping with someone who has less than 100 as babysitting them.

That was a missed oportunity to give back to those who helped you out over the years. This is certainly not the attitude I hope to have at 1300 jumps. If I do, someone slap me silly.

Thanks sean

See my reply to kitty. Don't worry be happy

Of course your entitled to your opinion. The subject of this thread is Bad DZ's. You don't know how many of my 1300 jumps were used to give back to low timers. 10% -50% assume what you want.

Jumping is supposed to be fun:)
R.I.P.

I really hate to see this particular topic, because all it will do is give many people here, who routinely do it, yet another chance to groundlessly bash, and takle pot shots at my home drop zone, ASC, whether they have ever been there our not.

Sorry dude this isn't about a particuler DZ. I've never been to your DZ if I was passing thru and jumped there I'd take it a face value, base my decision on the vibes I got.:)
I think there is a value to discuss experiences gotten at Bad DZ's. We're not naming DZ's just letting some of the newer jumpers know what some of us consider a "Bad" DZ.:)
R.I.P.

But has anyone here been to a dz that they absolutely hated and refuse to go back because it sucked THAT bad???

Yep. A small place that puts tandems in front of everyone else all the time (sure, they need money, but waiting for a load from 10:30am to 16:15pm is just too much). And the people there got an attitude... like everybody who has been jumping anywhere else than at their small cosy place has no idea of the real thing... no thanks. I'm not going back there.

Chronistin
(Home @ http://www.fallschirmspringer.net/)

"I've been there MANY times so I can bash it all I want right? :D"

I personally don't like seeing any dz bashed, with the possible exception of the one in Las Vegas, where they refuse to let experienced, USPA licensed skydivers jump. That, IMO is wrong, but aside from that single case, that I am aware of, no I don't like seeing any dz bashed. When you bash a dz, who are you actually hurting, the dz itself, or the people that regularly jump at the dz. In the end, I think, you hurt the people that jump there more. You potentially cause a decrease in business for the dropzone, by giving people, be they experienced jumpers, or people looking for a place to learn to skydive, a bad impression of the dz. Costs tend to go up, such costs as operating costs of aircraft, fuel, utilities, etc. Cause a decrease of business at the dz, and sooner or later, who pays, the jumpers that jump there, because they are the ones that have to shoulder the burden of the additional cost it takes to operate! Example of how this negative works...I saw what was written on the thread about the individual that got beaten out of money at SkyDive Atlanta. The individual clearly stated that it was the DZ in Thomaston, SkyDive Atlanta, that this incident happened at. Before, and even AFTER the statement of fact, that is was SDA, NOT ASC, numerous individuals continued to say, "no no you mean Atlanta Skydive Center in Cedartown, not SDA in Thomaston"! Fact is that ASC had nothing to do with what happened at SDA in that whole episode, but they still got bashed, and blamed for it! Appearently, from what was posted in that thread, the issue of the money was resolved, and I'm glad that the individual got most of their money back. However, all of the negative stated about ASC, quite a bit of it by jumpers that are regulars at SDA, has given me a very bad impression of that dz, and because of this bad impression that I have, I will not ever jump (read that spend any of my money) there, nor will I recomend it to any of my friends that wish to jump, or anyone that ask me where they can learn to skydive. I will do my best to steer them away from there and to another dz, even if it happens to be the dz nearest to them! I don't care to do any business with that dz due to the negativity that jumpers from there have shown toward my home dz! Yeah, I'm only one person, and people there probably don't give a tinker's damn if I ever jump there or not, which is fine, but since I also love skydiving, and try to talk to everyone that I meet about giving it a try, potentially, some of those people would go there, however, because of the negative feelings I've gotten about the place, I will tell them not to go there. You know, word of mouth is the best form of advertisment, it can be your greatest asset, or your worst enemy. So, I ask you, what has the bad impression caused by bashing done here? Get my point?
--------
To put your life in danger from time to time ... breeds a saneness in dealing with day-to-day trivialities.

If I do, someone slap me silly

Ooooh, ooooh!!! Me! Me!

I agree.

You agree what? To slap me silly?:S

You are just looking for any excuse to get your hands on me:P.

You want to touch my hot hot bod! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAaaaaaaaa. Okay you want to leave a big red mark on my rolly-polly fleshy thing that might sometimes be mistaken for a human form:D.

I won't comment on your opinion of my attitude.:)

[:/] Sorry about that. I was just being huffy. You are welcome to comment on my attitude. (just keep in mind I've been home sick since Tues night and I'm pissed off that I dont feel well enough to jump on such a pretty day.. ) ;)

I still think your experience was bad because of a bad L.O., not a bad dz. I dont know why you got bumped from the 9-way, but a skydive is what you make it. If you'd rather sit one out because you couldnt get on the jump you wanted to be on.. thats your choice. However, if I were one of the folks who had to wait 45 min for someone else to manifest, I'd be giving you and the L.O. dirty looks.

But has anyone here been to a dz that they absolutely hated and refuse to go back because it sucked THAT bad???

Yep. A small place that puts tandems in front of everyone else all the time (sure, they need money, but waiting for a load from 10:30am to 16:15pm is just too much). And the people there got an attitude... like everybody who has been jumping anywhere else than at their small cosy place has no idea of the real thing... no thanks. I'm not going back there.

Based on my experience Some DZ's develope a cult like attitude. It can happen when the people hang out together every weekend in their own little universe shareing their adrenilan.

The DZO needs a staff so they get special attention which also helps develope the cult mentality.

R.I.P.

Lee.. do you have any siblings? I have 2 older brothers. Growing up, the middle one was the one who was typically doing stupid stuff and getting in trouble. Skipping school.. shoplifting.. smoking.. not doing homework.. etc. So when something happened, he was first to be blamed, until proven otherwise. Its called pattern behavior. ASC is the "middle child" of US drop zones. They have demonstrated the type of behavior described in the Skydive Atlanta thread numerous times.. which is why people werent sure that guy knew where he was. As soon as he clarified it was actually Skydive Atlanta, everyone shut up about it, but you.
Let it go.. and you will accomplish your own goal.

ps- I did AFF at ASC and I am a kick ass skydiver. They did a good job training me. I'll be back to jump there. ;)

I think the only time its fair to judge a DZ is after you go and experience it for your self. People told me I'd hate Deland since it was so team driven, I had a decent time there and had a great jump even though it was'nt my favorite DZ ever.

I think more people need to get out and see more DZ's there is a whole range of experiences to be introduced to at different DZ's. :)
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

All I got was a screaming woman saying "You dont ask me that here you go to the window around the corner and ask!!!" Mind you I was new to this DZ and let the yelling go figuring she was haveing a bad day. What really pissed me off was when I got to the second window the same woman turned 90` to her right and politly asked how she could help me. I wanted to reach in therer and strangle her!!

That cracks me up! I woulda lost it! Sure she wasn't yankin your willy??
I don't wanna bad mouth a DZ either, so I won't,, but that dude that runs the DZ between Eloy and Tucson is a prick, both times I went there!! The staff was great, too bad he showed up.. Until he's gone I won't support his adventure...

Natural Born FlyerZ.com

Based on my experience Some DZ's develope a cult like attitude. It can happen when the people hang out together every weekend in their own little universe shareing their adrenilan.

The DZO needs a staff so they get special attention which also helps develope the cult mentality.

Yeah, that says it very well. Still, I don't like it. I prefer the "we're all skydivers & part of a worldwide family"-kind-of-thoughts. Although its kitsch in a way...

Chronistin
(Home @ http://www.fallschirmspringer.net/)

'Lee.. do you have any siblings?'

Half brother and 2 half sisters, older, allot older, they were gone from home before I was born. 1 sister younger, we do not get along, and never have. She never did anything wrong, regardless of what it might have been. I got blamed for everything that happened. Hard feelings and bitterness that related to this. Very bad analogy due to the past situation at my home, brings up too many bad feelings.
--------

There is only one DZ I won't go back to....and it's because I think the owner is a total jackass, the pilot is a totally unsafe jackass, and the aircraft maintenance is shoddy at best. I used to jump there all the time...but won't go back again..

There is one more DZ that I don't go to often due to the clique-ish nature of the people there. I will go occasionally...but only when I am going to jump with a specific group of people. I have too many other DZ's to choose from that are much more friendly....and I can show up and get on some kick ass skydives very easily...so I don't go there much anymore.

I won't mention names, though..

Mike

'Well sorry I made you feel crappy.."

Thus is life, no need to feel sorry, it's just me, so it doesn't matter. :(
--------

Hi Kitty

>>[:/] Sorry about that. I was just being huffy. You are welcome to comment on my attitude. (just keep in mind I've been home sick since Tues night and I'm pissed off that I dont feel well enough to jump on such a pretty day.. ) ;)>>

Don't sweat the attitude I've been married 29 years and know my place;)

I still think your experience was bad because of a bad L.O., not a bad dz. I dont know why you got bumped from the 9-way, but a skydive is what you make it. If you'd rather sit one out because you couldnt get on the jump you wanted to be on.. thats your choice. However, if I were one of the folks who had to wait 45 min for someone else to manifest, I'd be giving you and the L.O. dirty looks.

It wasn't the L.O's fault. He's a great guy & I've known him for a long time. He was put in a bad position by the cutback in staff. He had to consider the success of the multi point nine way vs breaking it into two groups.

In the past the smaller group would have been another L.O. and the less experienced/capable jumpers. To the L.O. credit he didn't want to ask the low timer to do a solo so he tried to draft us as unpaid staff.

As far as the other jumpers having to wait and being >:(, we had already been jumping together for a couple of days so they knew all three of us and weren't >:(. It was more like "Dude we don't know what you did but we're glad it was you and not us":)
It come's back to the bad DZ thing and being "short handed".The DZ had plenty of staff for the AFF & tandems thats where the money's at. On the walk up loads we had to kick in a extra $1 for the L.O.

Jumping isn't a job for me, I do it because It's fun. If I'm not having fun I don't have to do it. B|

Don't worry be happy:)R.I.P.