TitaniumLegs

Am I cool because I skydive, or do I skydive because I'm cool?

I'm a dork I've allways known that. Now everyone thinks I'm a crazy insane dork with a death wish.

Boy are they wrong! Skydiving is a blast, and so cool to.

"dorks" are just people that really love something a lot. You can be a "math dork", a "car dork", a "sports dork", or a "skydiving dork" just the same.

It's the people that you couldn't tell love anything that aren't dorks... they're losers.

You are cool because you are cool, not because you do something that is cool.

If you are skydiving to try and be "cool" or if you are skydiving to try to impress others...You are an idiot.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Hmm I am not cool so neither of these apply to me. I am a dork. Love being a dork. It is great fun to be a dork. I skydive because I am a dork and I am a dork because I skydive. It is cyclical like that. I'll bet the coolness/skydiving thing is the same though. The circle of coolness. Yep. cannot do one without the other.

Oh and actually I skydive because I skydive . . . yeah try and work that one out:P

Roger that. I skydive because I love skydiving. I didn't skydive to be cool, and folks don't think I'm cool just because I skydive... at least I hope not.

But Bobby, your a naval aviator, you don't have to skydive to score cool points with the ladies. Plus, my kids friends don't think I cool because I skydive, they say I'm "tight".
blue skies,

art

I doubt the majority of whuffos would consider a skydiver "cool" based on him/her skydiving alone.

The ones I've talked to either say I'm stupid for needlessly risking my life or unimpressed. A few have said" cool, Iwannadothattoo", but that's at bars mostly.

I skydive because it's so much fun and it enriches my life. I do it in spite of the risks, not because of 'em, so I'm probably not an adrenaline junkie.

Santa Von GrossenArsch
I only come in one flavour
ohwaitthatcanbemisunderst

The whole extreme/cool thread got me thinking...

It got me thinking too. Why would anyone who participates in a sport care about whether the "image" associated with it is cool or not? I enjoy skydiving for it's freedom, for the feel of the great glass pillow under my skin. I also play badminton in the local church hall with a group of people who are mostly pensioners every Monday and Thursday night. You can lose your eye playing badminton :P, yet all of us would laugh our asses of at the notion of EXTREME BADMINTON

Everyone pushes the limits to the extent they are comfortable with. I'd rather see an entire dropzone filled with people with docile canopies following conservative landing patterns than see everybody attempt carves to win the "cool" tag some seem to attach so much value to. There are many more radical skydivers than myself out there, just like there are better pilots, capable of aerobatics I know I would never be capable of. I admire them all. I think the original post in the other thread was not well thought out.

Congratulations. You are now Extreme and Cool. Here's your badge :P <-- (Not directed at TitaniumLegs)

--
ZZZzzzz....

I'm neither cool because I skydive, or skydive because I'm cool. I just love skydiving. Cool is in teh eye of the beholder. Someone thinks I'm coo, great, if the don't.. no big deal!
--------
To put your life in danger from time to time ... breeds a saneness in dealing with day-to-day trivialities.

--Nevil Shute, Slide Rule

Ain't all skydivers per definition dorks?
We spend most of our time and money riding in air-planes just to jump out off them. We aquire a very weird vocabulary as soon as we start jumping (for some reason I've started saying "dude" a lot after becoming a skydiver). We all develop an immense interest in all sort of expensive and technical gadgets.
We do something completely useless and meaningless (at least my parents tells me it is) just because it's so bloody fun and we really don't care that other people consider us to be time-and-space wasting bums, because we are happy bums. At least I am!

"We Are The Light At The End Of Your Sorry Little Tunnel"

hmm this is something thats been bugging me lately. only a newbie but when i tell people, theyre like

"oh is there something lacking in your life then?!!!"
WTF??!!!"

yeah, like i do this so ive got something to talk to people about!!!!

saying that, i would admit to being a complete geek at heart even though ive gone the ugly duckling route...

stuff them thats what i say!
B|

Here’s a confession: when I started skydiving (approximately eight years ago), I felt really cool, like a little version of Tank Girl or something. It made me feel strong and intrepid. Plus, I was one of the very few chicks at the DZ, a fact that made me feel extra cool. But back then I was young, naïve and immature:S. Now I skydive because I love the sport, as simple as that. :)I can relate to most of the students or tandem jumpers that go skydiving just because it is “extreme” and cool. But, when you fall in love with the sport and with the people in it you forget about all those stereotypes and senseless things.
I consider myself a cool chick, with or without skydiving.;)

MEN: you can't live with 'em, you can't shoot 'em, but you can act psychotic and keep 'em off balance.
HISPA #10