Gravitymaster

Howard Stern taken off the Air

RIGHT ON!!!!!

AMEN!!!!!

Unlike with TV/Cable, the radio doesn't have "pay channels"

I say clean the shit UP!!!!!

Chris

We should all have to listen to what you want us to hear? Or do I have a choice to listen to what I want to hear. If your so-called cleaning it up is taking stuff off the radio I WANT to listen to. Then where is my "Freedom of Choice" ?? Huh?

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

Unlike with TV/Cable, the radio doesn't have "pay channels"

I say clean the shit UP!!!!!

dropzone.com is a free, publicly-accessible communication medium.

Think we should clean up the language?

Is shit an acceptable word on the radio?

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

According to the stardards of acceptable behavior. Society IS partially to blame don't get me wrong, but this free will secular attitude will be the downfall of the USA. Remember the Roman Empire????? It fell to.

Chris

-----------------------------------------------------
Sometimes it is more important to protect LIFE than Liberty

According to the stardards of acceptable behavior. Society IS partially to blame don't get me wrong, but this free will secular attitude will be the downfall of the USA. Remember the Roman Empire????? It fell to.

Chris

Dude, don't be such an extremeist, I only speak for myself on this matter. I'm mostly perturb about them forcing me to listen or watch what they deem as acceptable. I'm not talking about allowing rape & murder to be broadcast live on the air.. jeeez

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

Then where is my "Freedom of Choice" ?? Huh?

I am sure it is on the Internet somewhere!!!!!
Where is my freedom of choice to Murder, to do drugs, to rape any chick I want??????

You have to have rules for the good of the nation....Not the good of one individual.

Sorry...

>As a responsible contributing productive member of society we must
> conclude that providing that censorship is necessary since people
> have NO RESPECT.

It seems like we need censorship because people have no brains. It's like a woman who walks into a nude bar, covers her eyes, and shouts "Oh the horror! The avarice, the harm it will do our children! Close them down!" And then walks into another bar, and another, and another.

A better solution would be to not walk in to nude bars.

I have never seen a radio that forces you to listen to one station. Given that, a better solution is to ignore the guy. Listen to something else. That way, they make no money off him, and he gets fired. Problem solved. If the FCC threatens to shut him down? His listener base will expand enormously, because everyone will want to listen to hear what he's saying that offended the staid, boring FCC censors.

>Do you think Washington or Jefferson every imagined this type of
>social pollution? They were SO naive.

??? The people who founded this country were pretty smart people. Read some of the stuff they wrote during their lives. It's more likely that you simply don't understand where they were coming from. Jefferson especially believed very strongly that personal freedom was the most sacred of the principles on which the government was founded, and that the government should go out of its way to NOT impose itself on others

"It behooves every man who values liberty of conscience for himself, to resist invasions of it in the case of others." --Thomas Jefferson

"Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual." --Thomas Jefferson

"That government is best which governs least" --Thomas Jefferson

>they actually thought we could be respectful of eachothers privacies,
>rights, morals, religious views, education practices, etc..

They most certainly did not! They very explicitly said that the government should NOT get involved in any support of any religious views or in any imposition of its view of morality, correctness etc on others.

You have a lot of rights in this country, but you do not have the right not to be offended. If something offends you, turn off the TV. Leave the nude bar. Stop reading the magazine.

Then where is my "Freedom of Choice" ?? Huh?

I am sure it is on the Internet somewhere!!!!!
Where is my freedom of choice to Murder, to do drugs, to rape any chick I want??????

You have to have rules for the good of the nation....Not the good of one individual.

Sorry...

I am really not going to get into it with you.. Your obvisouly above me in moral standards. :)

Plus it's my lunch time..

Unlike radio though the internet is not free nor is it pumped directly into your house without paying for it!!!

Also, explicit content is usually in place which can only be seen by those 18+.

On DZ.com was there a question of age in the registration form????

Also, Parents can monitor web pages and lock webpages.... Cant do that on the radio.

If you murder someone, you are violating their rights.

If you rape someone, you are violating their rights.

If I listen to the radio, whose rights am I violating?

And drugs should be legal.

I pay my taxes to the government and I still have to endure this kind of crap! The government should NOT be allowed to simply fire someone because what they say is offensive.

The government didn't fire anyone. The government didn't pull Howard off the air. His employer did. You seem to be long on outrage and short on facts.

never pull low......unless you are

And the worst part about this is that its not the government doing it, directly anyway. Pre-emptive self-censorship... This is why it sucks that powell jr decided to let the media conglomorates own a larger percentage of the market a last year. What happens when clear channel owns all of the radio stations...

Sweet Gravity...

Bill I agree with alot of what you are saying.... But I also agree there comes a point at which it is out of control.

You used the issue of the nudie bar and you are right, however, what if the Nudie bar left its windows open for passers by to see.

They are doing something legal on their property, but unsuspecting people walking by may see something they don't want to.

The same reason why Playboy has a black plasic cover on it when it is shipped in the mail!!!! So as NOT to offend the unintended audience who may see it.

Chris

Ok Philly you are right... EXCEPT for the DRUGS.

Sorry, but if you can't see how drugs have a negative affect on society, then you need to get off the drugs for a little while until you understand.

This is bullshit what the goverment is doing to us all based on what's "good for you" FUCK that. I'm 36 years old, I pay my taxed (begrudgingly) I don't need some christian, jew, hindu, buddist, muslim, or what ever religion you want to practice telling me what I want to watch, listen too or do.

Two points:

1) The government is not going after listeners. The FCC controls standards set by law for those who use the airwaves.

2) The government did not drop Stern. Clear Channel did. A private decision.

Addendum:

I can see Stern having internet broadcasts. With that he can likely do what he wants.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I like stern, but that shit gets old after awhile so I dont listen. I like looking at Hustler, but that shit (awesome how I'm allowed to use that word, isn't it?) gets old after awhile, so I stopped reading it. Free will, ain't it a bitch?
The reason we keep getting the 'lowest common denominators' of our society (in some peoples opinion, not mine) defending OUR constitution is because most of the rest of society is too concerned with seeing someone or something they don't like removed from the popular conciousness. If you take a look at the larger picture you'll see that your freedoms are also limited by actions such as these.
I also say again, the government didn't shut stern down, clear channel made a decision to do so. Was that decision based on constitutional principles? (doubt it) Profit? (maybe) Some individuals religious beliefs...?

Sweet Gravity...

>You used the issue of the nudie bar and you are right, however, what
>if the Nudie bar left its windows open for passers by to see.

If they leave their windows open? Don't look. Or look if you want to, but then don't get mad because you actually saw a nude chick when you looked in the window of a nude bar. It doesn't take a genius to figure out what you will see when you look through the window of a nude bar.

Again, I have the image of this guy going right up to the window and straining his neck to see, saying "Outrage! Nudity! I can't believe I'm being forced to see this!"

We have to take some responsibility for ourselves. Like I said before, you have a lot of rights in this country. You do not have the right to not be offended.

Why not? Oh, I see...you'd rather dictate what other people can view rather than be inconvenienced your self.

Sounds like you want to dictate what others should watch. If I don't like Howard Stern I should get rid of my TV? If Clear Channels doesn't want Stern on their payroll it's their right to fire him.

never pull low......unless you are

In all seriousness, I am not into Sensorship. However, there isn't a place for Lude behavior on network TV or radio.

I listened to HS for 5 year( then it just got old), and I thought it was hillarious. However, If flipping through the channels while in the car with my 5yr old daughter I came upon HS without knowing, and only caught 5 seconds of the show..... Should could very easily hear something which I don't want to have to explain to a 5yr old girl.

Again, with the Janet Jacko thing..... Was it that bad????? No. Infact I am glad it happened, because it woke alot of people up to what is really going on. But, if I were watching live with my 5yr old and they saw that.... It wasn't just a Tit It was the way in which she was exposed. In a sexual assault type of manner.

Whay should I be force to have to explain that to my child. Why it is OK for them to do that on TV, but not you honey.

If this happened on Cable it wouldn't have been as big of a deal..... But it didn't. It happened a 4PM west coast time on network TV during family oriented programming....

Chris

The government didn't fire anyone. The government didn't pull Howard off the air. His employer did. You seem to be long on outrage and short on facts

Dude, read the first few pages, man. FCC is government (or did you miss that incarnation?). FCC laid the restrictions and regulations and forced CCC to do something... fire Stern. It is not a large leap there and if you dig, you will find the same thing. My facts are in line.

How did the patriot act get Stern pulled from the air?

I didn't say the Patriot Act pulled Stern from the air. The Patriot Act limited our freedoms which are further hindered by the action of the government to pull Stern off the air.

Amendment IV
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

The Patriot Act took this ammendment away from us, limiting our freedoms. Taking Stern off the waves violates "the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble." The more the government does against its people, the more freedoms are taken away from us. You see this move as long overdue, I see it as a violation of my rights and a standard to which further censorship will be based.

That seems to be the difference in this thread: those that agree with the action, tend to despise Stern and what he is and stands for. The people that are against the decision to pull him off the air, generally see it as an infringment on the Bill of Rights. What is more important, one man or everyone's freedoms?

I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it.
- Voltaire

Sounds like you want to dictate what others should watch. If I don't like Howard Stern I should get rid of my TV?

Nope...watch whatever you want. If there's nothing on that you want to watch, don't watch TV, get rid of it. If someone is watching something next door that you don't want to watch....what business is it of yours?

If Clear Channels doesn't want Stern on their payroll it's their right to fire him.

They do want him, that's why they are talking to Congress. They don't want to be fined for it. It wasn't a choice if they want him or not. It was a choice of do we want him if the gov't is going to fine us millions of dollars.