Gravitymaster

Howard Stern taken off the Air

Thank God. This society could do with a lot less trash.

I'm not a Stern listener because personally, I find him very childish. But he has a right to say whatever he wants and if a person wants to listen to him, thats their choice. Who the hell is the FCC to come in and regulate speech regardless of how offensive it is. As I said, if it offends you, turn the dial. Simple!

I agree with you 100%. If I were a Clear Channel stock-holder, I'd be on the phone wondering what they would do with that airtime slot if Stern wasn't available. That kind of revenue stream doesn't come often, or easily. In fact, Stern's agent better be talking to advertisers and other radio companies now.

The PC factor is BS.

The business decision is plain nuts.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I agree with you 100%. If I were a Clear Channel stock-holder, I'd be on the phone wondering what they would do with that airtime slot if Stern wasn't available. That kind of revenue stream doesn't come often, or easily. In fact, Stern's agent better be talking to advertisers and other radio companies now.

The PC factor is BS.

The business decision is plain nuts.

The Janet Jackson stuff was one thing. I found it inappropriate because of the venue she chose. Exposing a breast during the Superbowl is wrong because the viewers were exposed to something they had no clue would happen and they had every right to be offended.

But listening to Howard Stern and then being offended..?????????? Give me a break.

Chris

I agree with you, Chris. I do agree you have the choice not to listen or watch his show, but there comes a time when enough is enough.

J

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.

Chris

I agree with you, Chris. I do agree you have the choice not to listen or watch his show, but there comes a time when enough is enough.

J

And who determines when enough is enough? You want the govt regulating speech? Suppose the Govt was to limit say Political Ads. (oops they already do). Would you support the govt determining which books were offensive and which ones were not. Offensive to whom?

What's next?? Witch hunts?
I love this country because we can have a$$holes like Stern on the radio.

He does have a long history of attempted fines and suspensions, It Boosts his ratings and makes him more popular, even with the people who disaprove with his content. I think too that right now his show is in a rating slump ( I know that atleast my city dropped him in favor of someone new-but with the same content)

I travel the land, Work in the ocean, Play in the sky

I'm not a Stern listener because personally, I find him very childish. But he has a right to say whatever he wants and if a person wants to listen to him, thats their choice. Who the hell is the FCC to come in and regulate speech regardless of how offensive it is. As I said, if it offends you, turn the dial. Simple!

My lord, I agree with GravityMaster and Gawain.

I do not like Stern - the bastard named me in a lawsuit once upon a time.

However, I will defend his right to freedom of speech. Offended? Turn off his show. It isn't that hard. Make him run disclaimers like they do on TV:"The following program may consider views and words that may be offensive to others."

This country is taking a step backwards every day.

This is insane.

Chris

And in my opinion this country could do with a lot less rightous religious people forcing their morals on everyone else - I find that offensive - can I get a law to fine those people for disrupting my life and causing me undue stress?

Sorry, it goes both ways - this is America. Freedom of Speech. Yes, there should be responsibility in what you say (ie screaming fire in a crowded room). But there is nothing wrong with a show like Sterns.

Do we take all the other radio shows off the air as well? Where does it stop?

I listen to him a lot. Only because talk radio is great for background noise. I can not believe he has lasted this long where his show is nothing but show me your boobs and sex.

Wait......great subjects. :$
Bottomless Beers and Blue Skies!

* Brother_Brian *
D.S.W.F.S.B. #2

Howard Stern has been removed from all Clear Channel stations...

Hell yeah!!! Isn't media consolidation grand?!

On one hand it is their company and they may remove anyone they wish from their broadcasts, but this is exactly why I'm diametrically opposed to media consolidation. Corporate rules can have too far reaching of an effect. It should be up to individual market segments which people they have on their airwaves. As it stands Clear Channel has too much power because they can remove someone from almost all the nation's airwaves. It's just asking for our 1st amendment rights to be whisked away. Hey, they did it with the Dixie Chicks too :)
I wish we could revoke corporate charters like they used to do back in the day. Then the people would be in control of our media again.

I'm lucky that here in Columbus the local stations have held out from the ClearChannel buy outs and I even have a true indi station still on. As a matter of fact the indi station competes 1 to 1 against the Clearchannel station on ratings almost every month. I listened to Stern today on the drive in and its interesting to see how they are handleing it. Half the staff is fired, and the other half is leaving for other offers.

I avoid listening to ClearChannel every time I can. I'm even happy that the local "Morning Zoo" thats on ClearChannel constantly bashes their parent corp. I have told my stock broker that under no time is he ever to buy ClearChannel stock or put my money in any funds that ClearChannel is in.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

What's next?? Witch hunts?

I hate to inform you, but we are in the middle of a witch hunt again... have you been to the airport, courthouse or concert venues lately? Are you sure you are not a terrorist?>:( Leave me alone, leave my underwear alone and let me get on the damn plane!

I pay my taxes to the government and I still have to endure this kind of crap! The government should NOT be allowed to simply fire someone because what they say is offensive. It isn't offensive to me; but the government's regulation of Stern is! I may not like Stern, but he HAS THE RIGHT TO FREE SPEACH, or do we not have constitutional rights anymore??? >:( Oh, I almost forgot, that STUPID PATRIOT ACT took them all away from me!

It is not about Stern, Mancow or Rush. It is about my freedom and the government taking it away from me while raping me in the pocketbook. >:( I love this country, but I HATE what it is doing to me.

I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it.
- Voltaire

[RANT]>:(
I'm glad he's off the air.

I am a freedom fighter as well, HOWEVER,
MY FREEDOM ENDS WHERE YOURS BEGINS

My freedom of choice is also important, like many I simply change the channel because for the most part he is a small man feeding off of your rebellion to let him speak his mind, after all it's the law right? But everyday there are less and less channels I can watch in my house. There is ONLY 2 radio stations I can turn on without hearing about sex, tits, ass, f&*!@, somebody sucks or insert your own verbal abuse and disrespect for our society.>:(

Thank GOD there's an agency out there WILLING to regulate this fine line and shades of grey MESS.[:/]

We are free... that does NOT mean we can just go around doing whatever we want. We have to exist together, work together and grow together. That means we all have to have an underlying RESPECT FOR EVERY HUMAN BEING.

NO ONE has the right to infringe on my right to life liberty and the pursuit of happiness and that includes radio stations that are not family friendly. Go by a CD you say? Hard to do without the same problem, cussing, sex, drugs, etc. If judged by our entertainment value, I'd say we are a bunch of STUPID PEOPLE with nothing to do but pick on one another.

I say to Howard Stern and people like him, GROW UP MAN, get a life.

That kind of trash talk is for the adults together when the kids are in bed, sitting around shooting the shit together, drinkin beers, playing cards, WHATEVER you do in PRIVATE, in the confines of your own personal space with consenting adults.

It's not for PUBLIC RADIO, which is supposed to be monitored to be acceptable to the GENEARAL PUBLIC.
Where is the respect for one another?
What has happened to our decency?
Why don't we care about eachother anymore?
Why is it every man for himself?

and another thing... I am so sick of hearing people BEND the constiution to suit their selfish needs, that I can hardly stand it anymore. It was not written so you can DO whatever you want and then use it to justify your freedom to do so. It is a guideline so that we may all learn to work/live/play and grow together and become a PROductive society...not a DEstructive society.

What's wrong with some of these people today, have you forgotten that you are leaving a Legacy behind.. our children..remember them? You are creating the future of their world, and remember these are the same people who will be running our government and nursing homes. Do we REALLY want to teach them to have no respect for eachother, teach them that it's ok to be an ass and justify it with a piece of paper that said you were free? I think we are ALL SPOILED ROTTEN and I don't think most of us could last a day in the reality of some other countries just around the corner. We have no right to be flippent about sex, rape, women, men, children, drugs, abuse...etc. It's SERIOUS, very serious and it's about time someone made an example of one of those childish disrespectful media leaders in our society!
[/RANT]

I pay my taxes to the government and I still have to endure this kind of crap!

I'm not sure your thinking clearly here. What kind of crap is the problem??
Grocery stores with cold, preserved & fresh fruit, veggies, meats and so much junk food you could feed a third world country?
The phone lines or cable that is connecting you right now to dz.com
Wait how about the electricity & running water going into your dwelling.
Maybe it's the TV or radio you wish to listen to him on...
Perhaps it's the sheer idea that you can choose what to wear or eat or look like or where to live or what to drive, what kind of career to have, what kind of shoes to wear, who you will marry, whether you will have kids or not.
Are these not enough choices? Does the governemnt really have to cater to EVERYONE?
Can we stop being GREEDY for long enough to accept that we have ALOT, we are strong when we work together and we are capable of SO MUCH MORE>>>
This is a DEMOCRACY and therefore the majority shall rule. I'm sure if enough people were in FAVOR of him [STERN], enough letters to the FCC and select governement officials would get him back on air, and that is the way we do it in this FREE country. If you want to talk shit and listen to guys act stupid there are many place you can do that ALREADY... lets not include PUBLIC radio & tv into that list of places to display that type of behavior.

There is ONLY 2 radio stations I can turn on without hearing about sex, tits, ass, f&*!@, somebody sucks or insert your own verbal abuse and disrespect for our society.>:(

Just a heads up FYI:
http://www.familyradio.com/cross/schedules/location-freq.htm

That said, I think what Clear Channel has done here, and the fact that so many agree with it, shows just how far America has regressed in the last decade. It's sad, really.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

If you want to talk shit and listen to guys act stupid there are many place you can do that ALREADY... lets not include PUBLIC radio & tv into that list of places to display that type of behavior.

Oh, and also FYI, Clear Channel isn't considered "public radio". It's a for profit corporation. It says what is broadcast, with only a loose net cast by the FCC.

If you want public radio, check here:
http://www.npr.org/
It's your life, live it!

The 2 I referred to were the local oldies station and NPR...
thanks for the broadcast list!! and I meant Public as in accessible to the general public.

An oldies station that doesn't carry Bob and Tom? Oh, the HORROR!

;)
It's your life, live it!

My freedom of choice is also important, like many I simply change the channel because for the most part he is a small man feeding off of your rebellion to let him speak his mind, after all it's the law right? But everyday there are less and less channels I can watch in my house.

So throw your fucking TV out...

Every day there are less and less people giving me hundered dollar bills as I walk down the street. Didn't know I was entitled to them, but apparently, I am.

I am so sick of hearing people BEND the constiution to suit their selfish needs, that I can hardly stand it anymore. It was not written so you can DO whatever you want and then use it to justify your freedom to do so.

Here's a clue...yes it was...it was designed to ensure as much PERSONAL freedom as possible WITHOUT government intervention. Like congress telling me what I can listen to on the radio.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.....I'M NOT COMING BACK FROM CANADA.......GEORGE BUSH IS DESTROYING MY COUNTRY'S FREEDOM. I ACCUSE THE BUSH ADMINSTRATION OF BEING A TERRORIST ORGANIZATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

I'm glad he's off the air.

You and I feel the same way, but disagree on how it should be handled. We both agree that we don't like Stern, but the difference is how it was done.

Sorry, man, but I don't need to have the government babysit me. I have two hands, I can change the friggin channel on the radio myself. I don't need someone turning it off for me. It is my RIGHT to listen to the radio, it is my RIGHT to decide what to listen to. Stern, and many like him, are already under heavy scrutiny from FCC for words, content and the like, but to censor him to the point of taking him off the radio is absurd.

My freedom of choice is what sets me apart from Korea, Vietnam, China and any other dictatorship in the world. I have the freedom to decide what to do, not have someone tell me what to do. If I wanted that, I would move out of this wonderful country.

for the most part he is a small man feeding off of your rebellion to let him speak his mind

If this is true, then why is it such a big deal? He is just a little man, right? Be a bigger one and turn him off... don't rely on the government to turn him off for you. The government should be making decisions to better the lives of the citizens... and turning off Stern, Mancow, Rush or any other 'shock jock' is a waste of time and abuse of power.

NO ONE has the right to infringe on my right to life liberty and the pursuit of happiness

While thinking that, you forget that NO ONE HAS THE RIGHT TO INFRINGE ON MY FREEDOM OF SPEACH OR FREEDOM OF CHOICE. Stern is not infringing on my right to liberty or happiness, nor is he infringing on yours. Is he literally outside your window right now? NO. He is on the radio, on one of a hundred stations, and you have the right to turn the channel. I agree, he is not family friendly, so the solution should have been what it has been for the last 10 years... don't listen to him.

The line of thinking that says if someone is offensive, we need to shut him up is the same that was prominent in the 40's.

I say to Howard Stern and people like him, GROW UP MAN, get a life

And I say to people that agree with the government's action (because Clear Channel acted on FCC reccomendations) to shut Stern down: WAKE UP. The government is slowly taking away your freedoms and you are letting them.

We will have to agree to disagree because this will get really heated. I am against big government. I am against the government telling me what I can listen to, watch on TV, see on the street corners, buy in the grocery store or say. If you like it, by all means, enjoy these great times we are in. But when the government goes through YOUR house for no reason and without a warrant because of a SUSPICION, just think about where it started....

I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it.
- Voltaire