Gravitymaster

Howard Stern taken off the Air

Inconvenienced myself? I'm not inconvenienced at all, I have no problem not watching or listening to him. That's the easy part.

Dictate what other people can view?
C'mon you with the giving too much credit away AGAIN. Do you not take any responsibility for yourself?

If it's unavailable, then it can't really be viewed, can it? And if you're not inconvenienced by his presence, why do you care? Is it the fact that there are people who think that kind of crudeness is funny?

I think his show is monumentally crude and stupid. I don't even know where to find it on the radio. I also don't know when "Jackass" is on TV. He's not stupid, he's fairly insightful; his style is just really unattractive to me. But I don't have to listen to him.

What I really hate are the "church lady" ads for local republican candidates -- "Did you hear about Charlie Diddlebopper? He's running for office, and he once was polite to a liberal!!! Vote for Clem Kamchooie -- he'll never bend!!!"

Now that's disgusting. Unpredictable, and by the time I figure out what's on, I've heard enough.

People have to be polite to each other, and set their own standards. Leave when the conversation isn't appealing -- if you're a good part of the conversation until then, folks will figure it out and moderate the next time.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Just talked to my roommate that listens to him all the time:

1) Stern has been on a rampage for the last two weeks against GWB. This has become an issue with his station in NYC and within Clear Channel - he has been told to stop and he refused.

2) He has been trying to prove how outrageous the cencorship has gotten in this country the last couple weeks as well. He played a tape made for 2 year olds telling them how to use the toilet and used the word "poo poo." Most of the stations across the country in fear of fines bleeped it out. He has been calling those stations on the air.

Of course neither of you would buckle under pressure, and force the govenment to shut you down, right?

Wait...are you saying that Clear Channel wanted to pull there top rated show in 6 markets, so pressured the government to bring action against themselves?

Dude....are you serious?

Of course neither of you would buckle under pressure, and force the govenment to shut you down, right?

Wait...are you saying that Clear Channel wanted to pull there top rated show in 6 markets, so pressured the government to bring action against themselves?

Dude....are you serious?

Dude, I'm saying that there may have been pressure but, in the end, it was Clear Channel's choice.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

(including listen to Howard Stern, maybe not on that particular station but in interviews, books and movies which will still be available may I remind most of you)

IT is not about being able to still listen to or see Stern.... It's about the power of the FCC and all goverment agencies who control our lives.

I could give a rats ass if Stern is on the air, I can't hear his show in Houston anyways. I have to listen to some numbnutz who CCC thinks I want to listen too. That's my own problem, I flip stations in the moring. I used to listen to Stevens & Pruett (used to be Hutson and Harigan for 20+ years). But they were an FCC nightmare for CCC so Pruett was fired because he was warned to curb his enthusiasim (sp) for boobies on the air. He refused to change his broadcast style. Hence FIRED.. Stevens stayed on with out his 25yr working companion until he too was forced off the air. They replaced then with some asswipes from New Orleans.. Walton and Johnson. I have to admit they kinda grow on you some. They would probably be outspoken to as to what happened to Stern.

This whole discussion is about the ability to do what I want, watch what I want and listen to what I want. I don't want the goverment telling me what I want to listen to, watch or even read.

The history of censorship dates back to the very first "peepshows" or movies if you want to call them that. Some religious fanatics decided they wanted to control what was show to the public.

So now the FCC forcing CCC hand in this matter is just another way the govement is forceing me to watch, listen to what THEY WANT ME TOO..

Wake up dude!! This has nothing to do with whether Stern is on the air or not. It's about CCC and the FCC controling what I want..

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

Did you know that Clear Channel owns 50% of all radio stations in this country? Yes, HALF of all radio stations - that is a known fact. And almost all of the billboards. They are also known in the industry as "Cheap Channel" with the way the cut corners to make the greater profit.

Who can you thank for this? Both Bush's - the first one allowed the first deregulation, the second one increased it.

I can only imagine that it's some warped sense of self importance that makes people think that what other people do has anything to do with them.

To think that you make no impact on society is sad. What we all do has an impact on eachother.
The denial of this fact is what is wrong today.
The earth is tied to us, we are to it as we are all tied to eachother.

Why outlaw anything then? I mean if it's bad, then people won't do it, right?

Is there any law you agree with?

Why can't I run stoplights when I'm in a hurry, even if no one is there? Because a country this size & this diverse needs rules.. just like any other business.

I love your spirit and fervor but

This whole discussion is about the ability to do what I want, watch what I want and listen to what I want. I don't want the goverment telling me what I want to listen to, watch or even read.

is not right.
This thread is about Howard Stern being taken off the air.

Trust me I'd keep re-writing because I want to get off topic here too.

Dude, I'm saying that there may have been pressure but, in the end, it was Clear Channel's choice.

Dude you not seeing the point. Granted CCC pulled Stern, but he was pulled inlue of fines. Not because CCC wanted to pull him. End of story. The FCC Forced Clear Channel to remove the man from the air or be Forced to pay ungodly amounts of fines for his "unacceptable" actions and rants.

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

This country is diverse, as you said, which means diverse interests, likes and dislikes. Not everyone is a skydiver, not everyone rides motorcycles, and not everyone thinks Stern should have been yanked. It is a country that was founded and thrived on diversity. FCC, CCC and a-holes pushing a platform get to limit that diversity, and that is wrong... not only wrong, but AGAINST THE CONSTITUTION. Remember the statement "No One should be able to infringe on my pursuit of liberty...?" Well, what is liberty if it is not defining MYSELF... I don't want the FCC, CCC, Stern, Mancow, Rush, Ann or any other bum-f*ck with an opinion defining me; and taking Stern off the radio, whether good or bad, defines people. As sad as it may be, Stern makes people think for themselves (which we can currently still do), and thinking leads to ideas, which can lead to molding your personality, which is DIRECTLY liked to liberty. THAT is why it is a bad thing, THAT is what the government it doing... and if you want a clearer picture, pick up Brave New World... oh, wait, that is a banned book now.

edited: got ahead of myself in wording...

I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it.
- Voltaire

I always thought the FCC was pretty powerful.

Apparently this ClearChannel is also financially powerful and diverse with connections.

I hardly think that if he was WORTH the fight, the would've just forced him out. If he was really worth it, they would've fought it.

Maybe they wanted an image change. Isn't that their choice?

I always thought the FCC was pretty powerful.

Apparently this ClearChannel is also financially powerful and diverse with connections.

I hardly think that if he was WORTH the fight, the would've just forced him out. If he was really worth it, they would've fought it.

Maybe they wanted an image change. Isn't that their choice?

They are....they are meeting with Congres today....this was not their choice.

How does it put someone at risk if there is NO ONE at the light?

Its the same risk level as you listening to the radio.

Homework assignment....find out how many injuries are caused to third parties by people going through lights because they "though" no one was there. Then find out how many injuries are caused to third parties by people listening to one particular radio station in lieu of another.

Don't be ridiculous, your argument has no merit.

Maybe I should have been more definitive... The government didn't ban the book, the school board did. My guess is you will also find To Kill A Mockingbird on the web somewhere, but it is also on the banned book list because it is racial... maybe you can do a search for Stern too: bet you will find something on the web. Just because you can link to it doesn't mean the government isn't monitoring it.

I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it.
- Voltaire

You know, something just dawned on me: I'm a pretty mellow guy, don't get too stressed out about much, and it I believe that part of that demeanor comes from deciding NOT to watch/listen to media/entertainment bits that don't interest/entertain me. I'm not about to start telling someone that what they are saying/showing is wrong when I can just change the channel/turn it off and go enjoy my life instead of griping about it incessantly like a spolied brat.
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

please cross reference violent acts by american children & adults BEFORE the onslaught of all this vocal and visual freedom with the statistics SINCE then.

That would be ridiculous because a correlation does not prove cause and effect. However, someone blowing a light when they think someone is not there, and then hitting someone, is a proven cause and effect.

Your logic, or lack thereof, is flawed.

You just don't want to do the research.

Little boy watches a wrestling move on tv, performs it on the nearest other little kid, kills her.

Cause, effect.

This incident is not to be blamed solely on wrestling, however, before we could see that stuff freely on TV the worst things kids did was play kickball in the streets and spin the bottle, heck american kids invented the garage band. Now they mimick people like Brittney Spears who should put more clothes on.

Look it's all a statement about who we want to become as a country. I don't think we need less clothes, less morals, less respect and less eduction.

Since when did it become morally acceptable to make fun of people's shortcomings, to be sexually explicit in public, to degrade humans and laugh.. to vandalize property and get a joy out of it; disrespect our parents and make it into a TV show, act like spoiled brats and call it free will?

There is a cause and effect and that is the force behind most of the censorship and laws as I see it.

It's been real guys/gals, but unless theres something more groundbreaking I gotta get back reality over here. Thanks for the stimulating chat though, sure glad we still have the freedom to post.

There is a cause and effect and that is the force behind most of the censorship and laws as I see it.

You must be wearing the rose colored glasses or blinders then... Censorship is bad joo joo. period.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,112561,00.html

I think this is BS. Anyone who turns the dial to listen to Stern knows exactly what they are going to get. If you don't like it, turn the dial, but don't bitch about what you knew in advance you were going to hear.

This is one of the things I find kind of embarrassing about being an American. The fact that anyone could get so worked up about someone whose shtick is eighth-grade smut is nothing short of amazing.

Censorship is Un-American, but we seem to love it so.

I don't listen to Howard Stern because I don't enjoy his show. It offends me that some morons should make it anything but my option to listen to his dreck if I should seek to do so.

Intelligence is overrated - stupidity is a force which is so vast as to seem limitless. Anyone who can harness it can change history, a fact that has been demonstrated on numerous occasions.

Blue skies,

Winsor