Dagny

A victory for terrorists?

I'm of the opinion that they should rebuild the WTC as well rather than a memorial. Bigger badder, mo nuff U.S.A.

Accelerate hard to get them looking, then slam on the fronts and rollright beside the car, hanging the back wheel at eye level for a few seconds. Guaranteed reaction- Dave Sonsky

Terrorism has been practiced throughout the history of the world and is not some new creation.

Well, clearly...

Often it has been the tool of minorities or opressed people.

Agreed.

When I lived in New Orleans, I saw it all the time. In fact, I had the crap beat out of me by a minority. Maybe he was feeling oppressed and decided to take out his frustrations on me. Whatever. The point is, yes, when you have weapons or explosives or fists or knives or rocks and threaten the lives of innocent people, it gets attention. For a moment, it commands respect. But, I don't think trying to reason with or sign peace treaties with someone who is hell bent on destroying you because you are white or baptist or american or fighting a war or whatever is necessarily effective.

In SA in the 70's and early 80's we used to joke that it would cost you and arm and a leg to go to the local Wimpy Bar. Literally.

The terrorist who bombed Magoo's bar and killed and maimed innocent civilians is now a local chief of police and he is viewed by his former comrades as a freedom fighter.

Victory is defined by whomever chooses to make the definition. The new Spanish government is claiming a victory. So are the terrorists.

I totally agree with the sentiment that new, bigger and better Towers should be built. I didn't stop going to Wimpy Bars or shopping mals at the time of the bombings - that would have meant victory to the terrorists.

You appear to be suffering from some confusion between the "War on Terror" and the war on Iraq.

Yeah........I'm sure there is nothing to all those statements about "Foreign Fighters" in Iraq. Figment of everyone's imagination I'm sure.

I know you know shit, so were there direct links from the deposed Iraqi regime and Al Quaeda or Ansar al Islam, or did Saddam actually not like those guys and vice versa? Remember, Saddam may have been an evil nut, but he was not a religious zealot.

Never go to a DZ strip show.

I find this very worrying. The problem is that it's not the incoming Spanish government that appear to have been coerced into changing their policy (the pledge to remove Spanish troops from Iraq was made before the bombings), it's the Spanish electorate who show signs of having been coerced into voting the way the terrorists wanted them to. Maybe the government would have changed anyway, but now we'll never be sure if it was because the people of Spain wanted a new government, or feared what would happen if they kept the old one.

Remember, Saddam may have been an evil nut, but he was not a religious zealot.

Saddam wasn't a religious zealot, FINALLY something we agree on! He did however sponsor terrorism, against his own people as well as against people of other nations. One of those nations is a US ally. He was a legitimate target in the War on Terror.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

You appear to be suffering from some confusion between the "War on Terror" and the war on Iraq.

Yeah........I'm sure there is nothing to all those statements about "Foreign Fighters" in Iraq. Figment of everyone's imagination I'm sure.

To put things in perspective, there is a much stronger link between Al Qaeda and training facilities in the US of A. I don't see any movement to attack Florida.

You right. Unfortunately, had not taken place the terrorist attack, most likely the PP would have been reelected, although with a very small advantage.
However, i don´t think it was the terrorist attack per se what changed the mind of the citizenship, but how the government dealt with that.
They kept lieing to us saying it was ETA when they already knew it was Al Quaeda. They forced those lies to the televisions they controlled and tried to deceive everybody for their political interests. The truth came to light before the poll and the spaniards punish them because of those lies.
I admit it may look otherwise but as i said before we didn´t get to choose when the bombs would blow up. I would have much prefered that the votes went for someone because people thought it would be a good president, not because they thought that the other would make a poor president.

So, in light of the recent bombing in Madrid which killed 200 and injured 1,500, Spain is threatening to withdraw its 1,300 troops from Iraq in June unless the UN takes control of the country. The prime minister-elect described Spain's participation in the war as a "total error".

PUSSY>:(
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Thats a good line to take, and I hope it becomes clear soon that the attacks didn't cause the change in government. Spain needs to show the terrorists that they didn't affect the result by their actions, or there is a very real risk of this becoming an example that more will follow.

I know you know shit, so were there direct links from the deposed Iraqi regime and Al Quaeda or Ansar al Islam, or did Saddam actually not like those guys and vice versa?

Good question. He probably didn't like them too much but a smart military man would use them to his own ends. He couldn't hit the US directly so why not use proxy fighters? That's what I would do if I was him. Funny thing is, and this didn't seem to get much press suprisingly, I think it was in 2002 some time that Iraqi "Secret Police" found Abu Nidal in a hotel room in Iraq. He was dead a short time later. I REALLY want to know the story behind that!!!! I'm sure it's JUICY! Iraqi police kill one of THE MOST famous terrorists in the world and it hardly gets mentioned on the news. There's DEFINATELY a story there.

BTW.......No....no DIRECT links that I know of before the war. Now Iraq has become the focus of Jihad in the world. The jihadis see fighting there as a "moral" obligation. It's as good a place as any to kill them. Better than in a mall in Cleveland, OH.

I find it very curious how vociferously some folk have been denying the existence of any link between Iraq/Saddam and al-Qaeda, yet when Madrid gets bombed because of their involvement in Iraq, al-Qaeda claims responsibility and no one bats an eyelid?:S

I find it very curious how vociferously some folk have been denying the existence of any link between Iraq/Saddam and al-Qaeda, yet when Madrid gets bombed because of their involvement in Iraq, al-Qaeda claims responsibility and no one bats an eyelid?:S

Apparently you have been out of touch for a while. It has been very widely reported that the current situation in Iraq, precipitated by the US led invasion, has provided an opportunity for infiltration by AQ that was not previously available.

It was also widely predicted that this is exactly what would happen.

The war in Iraq is a distraction from the "war on terror".

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

BTW.......No....no DIRECT links that I know of before the war. Now Iraq has become the focus of Jihad in the world. The jihadis see fighting there as a "moral" obligation. It's as good a place as any to kill them. Better than in a mall in Cleveland, OH.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Easier to kill them on the flat deserts of Iraq than the rugged mountains of Afghanistan.

>The question that comes to my mind is how do you fight terrorism
>and violence without actually fighting?

Same way you fight the war on drugs, I suppose. Keep in mind that most of the Al Qaeda higher-ups that have been caught/killed since 9/11 were stopped not by bombs or bullets, but through civilian authority arrests in countries who support our war on terror. Based on that, the answer is pretty clear - you fight terror by supporting other countries who use their police and intelligence forces to stop terror.

We simply don't have enough military to kill or arrest everyone in the world who might, some day, want to harm the US. We do have a pretty good track record on getting other countries to cooperate with us in the war on terror; indeed, it's led to our biggest successes. The ideal is a world in which terror groups are simply not tolerated, where local governments make the effort to stop groups like Al Qaeda before they can really get started. Our nightmare is a world where everyone turns a blind eye to terror, relying on the US to send troops and ferret it out so they don't have to, and so they will not be attacked by _either_ country/group.

>Also, Zapatero wants to create a stronger alliance with Morocco
> despite the fact that three of the the five men arrested in relation to
> the bombing are Moroccan.

?? I don't get your point. Most of the 9/11 terrorists were Saudi; yet we still have a strong relationship with them. Were we wrong for doing that?

>I have to wonder if backing down doesn't send a message along the
> lines of "bully me and you can have my lunch money...oh, and can I
> do your homework for you, too?"

Well, except in this case the bully they are backing down from isn't the same one who stole their lunch money. Saddam Hussein is not Bin Laden, and the Iraqis are not Al Qaeda.

>I have to wonder if backing down doesn't send a message along the
> lines of "bully me and you can have my lunch money...oh, and can I
> do your homework for you, too?"

Well, except in this case the bully they are backing down from isn't the same one who stole their lunch money. Saddam Hussein is not Bin Laden, and the Iraqis are not Al Qaeda.

I disagree. I think the statements AQ made about their reasons for the Spanish bombings highlights even more the connection between the war with Iraq and the war on Terror.
AQ is saying "get out of Iraq or we will bomb you again" and the Spanish people were frightened enough to elect someone who would bow to AQ.

think the statements AQ made about their reasons for the Spanish bombings highlights even more the connection between the war with Iraq and the war on Terror.

Definitely there's a connection. We invaded Iraq and terrorists attacked Spain. It's a direct cause and effect. But that doesn't provide any evidence that prior to our invasion of Iraq that there was an association with AQ.

>I disagree. I think the statements AQ made about their reasons for
> the Spanish bombings highlights even more the connection between
> the war with Iraq and the war on Terror.

I agree there, in a way. The US has turned Iraq into a terrorism vs "the coalition of the willing" (or whatever we're calling it nowadays) battlefield. I think you're right in that most Spaniards want no part of a war that (they think) the US essentially created in Iraq.

think the statements AQ made about their reasons for the Spanish bombings highlights even more the connection between the war with Iraq and the war on Terror.

Definitely there's a connection. We invaded Iraq and terrorists attacked Spain. It's a direct cause and effect. But that doesn't provide any evidence that prior to our invasion of Iraq that there was an association with AQ.

I didn't say there was BEFORE the war. Learn to read and comprehend before inserting keyboard in mouth.

I didn't say there was BEFORE the war. Learn to read and comprehend before inserting keyboard in mouth.

I consider this a personal attack. :P

The elections in Spain point up a very simple fact.. when the PEOPLE do not support the ill conceived BAD decisions of their government they very often CHANGE their government to people who WILL listen to them and their wishes. After the train bombings the Spanish government wanted desperately to blame it on ETA.. when the Spanish people found out they had been LIED to by their government.. they changed their government... Is there a lesson there to be learned??

Edited for atrocious spelling

Spaniards are not Americans. Al Quaeda attacked Spain because it would be impossible for Spain to invade a host government and eradicate their martyrs and training facilities. And for all the crap they take, Interpol is not the CIA and FBI.

Spain will suffer more, and will turn back to the US, and we will quickly forgive the current jigoistic ramblings of the new President, and help. Like we always do.

Makes me proud.

Funny, I didn't see you take a knock inthe head this last weekend...

The Spanish populace was 90% against involvement in the Iraq debacle. They were ignored by their poodle of a leader and thusly made their displeasure felt at the ballot. I'm proud of them for restablishing a basic democratic principle. As a country that knows from it's imperialist past, the error of the current US policy, and has enough home grown terrorism to not make these descision lightly, I think they did the right thing.

I don't think they needed US help , before or after 9/11. All that's done is paint a bullseye on them.

It also looks like like Honduras and the Netherlands are going to bail too. That pretty much leaves the US and the UK. It's time to turn it over to the UN and leave.

> it's the Spanish electorate who show signs of having been coerced
> into voting the way the terrorists wanted them to.

There are also several reports of how the Spanish electorate wanted to vote out a government that had misled them about a terrorist attack and tried to supress protest.

------------------------

From the NYT:

Voters said they were enraged not only by the government's insistence that the Basque separatist group ETA was responsible, despite mounting evidence to the contrary, but they also resented its clumsy attempts to quell antigovernment sentiment.

For example, the main television channel TVE, which is state-owned, showed scant and selective scenes of antigovernment demonstrations on Saturday night, just as it ran very little coverage of the large demonstrations against the war in Iraq last year. It also suddenly changed its regular programming to air a documentary on the horrors of ETA.

That was the last straw for some Spaniards, who said it evoked the nightmare of censorship during the Franco dictatorship little more than a quarter of a century ago.

Prime Minister José María Aznar personally called the top editors of Spain's major dailies twice on the day of the attacks. In the first round of calls, Mr. Aznar said he was convinced that ETA was responsible.

"He said, `It was ETA, Antonio, don't doubt it in the least,' " said Antonio Franco, editor in chief of the Barcelona-based El Periódico de Catalunya, in an interview.

Mr. Franco's newspaper published a special edition based on Mr. Aznar's call, then Mr. Franco published an editorial rectifying the mistake as new information came to light. "It was shameful to me that the whole world was taking precautions and debating about Al Qaeda except in Spain, where the attack occurred," he said.

>Now Iraq has become the focus of Jihad in the world. The jihadis see
> fighting there as a "moral" obligation. It's as good a place as any to
> kill them. Better than in a mall in Cleveland, OH.

Ah yes. The US-soldiers-as-bullet-sponges theory. Makes about as much sense as walking home through the crack-dealer neighborhood so you will be attacked there, and no one will attack your family at home several miles away.

The US-soldiers-as-bullet-sponges theory.

The U.S. soldiers signed up for this kind of thing, people strolling through a mall in Cleveland didn't.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.