rocket

my boss's interest in the frequency of my skydiving, unhealthy

Alright, I am sure this has been posted before, I did not check myself, but I am a little angry at the moment. So please bear with me.

I started skydiving last year at the end of May. I needed something in my life to fill that void that was there. Anyway, I have shared my experiences with my coworkers and my bosses as well. Shit I got my President to buy a tandem, which he will do this summer.

But my Vice-President, I am starting to be leary about. Just this morning he asked if I went skydiving this weekend, and as usual, I said yes, had a great time. His response was "Man, ......... you're gunna be broke soon!" All I have to say is "ASSHOLE!!!!!!"

You see I am an intern, in my last year of this crap, till I license. And lately I, along with everyone else in the firm, and I mean everyone else, has been complaining cause there has been no reviews or raises given for quite a while. Well after me and another guy pushing them for reviews, I had not had one since September of 2002!, and another architect quitting, they decided tothrow some money at the problem. Mind you it was small, actually about a third of what I should have gotten.

Anyway, is it ethical for a boss to use my personal life against me in evaluating how much of a raise I should get? I do not know if this is happening, but it is unethical for a boss to ask about my expenses, at least that is what I think.

I drive a 1990 Geo Prizm, have $60,000 in student loans, do not eat out, or go to movies, or any of that shit. I do spend my money although on skydiving. Shit, I bought a used rig for about 2K. Ok I do go out, but the cost is negligible, I do not drink, fuckit, actually I just got my two years sobriety last Thursday.

Anyway, have any of you experienced this? Do you have any advice? Or, am I being paranoid and need to double my medication?

Thanks for reading my novel.

"Make your plans dark and as inpenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt" -Sun Tsu

rocket

welp where i work there is a group of us that go. The boss said something about it..the only comment i made was ... does it affect you, in your daily life? no ? then don't worry about it. and 2 does it affect my schedule that i work, or my work habits? no ? then don't worry about it.. he left us all alone after that.

Anyway, is it ethical for a boss to use my personal life against me in evaluating how much of a raise I should get? I do not know if this is happening, but it is unethical for a boss to ask about my expenses, at least that is what I think.

I wouldn't say it is unethical. It's not the right way to evaluate someone for a raise, but I don't recall any rules or guidelines anywhere on how to determine how much of a raise to give someone (unless you're in a union or have some other contractual agreement that specifies what should be used for evaluation).

In other words....you get what they want to give you, what they use to decide that is up to them. Something you should remember as it seems like you're young. It's the cold hard truth of the real world.

In other words....if you think your boss is holding it against you, keep your mouth shut about it. He's paying you to work, not talk about skydiving. Talk about skydiving with other skydivers and PLEASE don't bore us with stories about your work. :P j/k

My first thought is to tell the prick to go pound sand. Your boss might just be concerned for your safety, like a dumb ass wuffo would be, or he might of been like you when he was younger and he does not you to piss all your money away.

Only tell him what he needs to know what you do on your spare time is none of his business. He looks at you as an investment in his company. Will you stay with the firm and be a true player or will you just fade away. Don't take his comments to heart.

thanks maya. To be honest that is exactly the approach I was thinking of taking. I appreciate your advice.

Blue Skies,

"Make your plans dark and as inpenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt" -Sun Tsu

rocket

I can't believe the number of people who think that we pay 150 bucks for a skydive, because a tandem costs that much. Its kinda funny when someone who thinks like that asks you how many jumps you have...
Just say that its really not that expensive once you have your own gear and a license.

I have a friend who smokes, and shes always giving me hell for spending money on skydiving. I guarantee she spends more per year on smokes and lighters and GUM than I do on skydiving. I dont know how so many people can afford to do both.

Heck I work in a Level 1 Trauma ICU. We see it all...all the really dumb stuff people do with their lives. I get some grief from the trauma standpoint but one you don't have to answer any of his questions about what you do on your own time. And two, don't let some whuffo control your emotions. Afterall, he's the one who has the issues - they don't have to be yours! :)
IF you are going to be Stupid - you better be tough!

First of all its you life and you ought to be happy at whatever brings you Joy. Most people in life can be quick to judge someones lifestyle when they need to worry of their own.

Sometimes people can be just plain mean and crude. I keep all business and personal life independant. Sometimes you have to. If someone cant say good things about you or your personal life-expalin to them to say nothing. If they dont get it..F--k em..

Live you Life Bro be happy dont worry about all
the other shit that seems to make one Stumble here and there.
The glass is half full or half empty doesn't matter. Let go and have the Lord guide your path. He will take care of it all.

Anyway, is it ethical for a boss to use my personal life against me in evaluating how much of a raise I should get?

Not only is it unethical, depending on the job and the state you live in, it -may- be illegal.

For instance, giving someone a larger or smaller raise because the have children for instance.

Equal pay for equal work means just that. They can hold your job performance over your head, but not what you do in your private life.

Then again, I'm not a lawyer.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Take more meds, if one comment about you being broke was all the guy said your really reaching. ***

WTF are you talking about? His boss made a comment about the cash not me. What type of meds do you have? I also will make the assumption that you do not or have not had people report to you that, as a boss, want to make an investment in...I do that every day my friend. So let me know how often you are the deciding factor in peoples careers??

Ya well so have I. I am a partner in our company, If I eat it skydiving, my family gets ZERO. Not many people have that in a business plan.

Guess my Partners dont want me to jump but I still will.

Point made... To the smack talker........ You know who you are....

Hey, thanks everyone for your support. I appreciate it. And Congratulations LAYTON, 11 years, that's great.

I don't want to bother you all with the bullshit, I am sure you all know what I am talking about.

But thanks for taking the time to give me your input.

rocket

Tell the boss you quit jumping and took up golf, tennis, stamp collecting or something else. See if he asks you about the golf game.B|
:)
R.I.P.

Hey . What is wrong with golf?

Uh Uh ....:)

Nothing except it would be interesting to see if "big cheese" asked "Did you play a couple rounds this weekend. what was your score. :o

"3 holes in one, couple eagles ,etc and tiger is a real nice guy"B|:S

R.I.P.

Just my personal experience here. The company i work for is self-insured and last October I hurt my shoulder while working. Their workman's comp representative denied my claim. Their reason: I live a dangerous lifestyle and participate in high risk, high injury activities, i.e. skydiving. How did they find out about my skydiving? Ask my boss. Be careful who you talk to.

----------
I used to think skydiving would be cheaper then smoking crack!

Yep..I posted not too long ago about "don't let your boss know that you skydive"..I am keeping it to myself when I transfer to my next position. Even though at first they think it's kuhl and want to know everything and "want to do it someday"..and you're amped to share...it only came back to bite me. For some reason a lot of assumptions take place with a non-skydiver boss and it only sets you up for unnecessary grief. Like Mary (FlyAngel2) said to me "Business is Business and Personal is Personal, keep them separate"..I'm taking her advice from now on...I learned the hard way.:S[:/]

Just my personal experience here. The company i work for is self-insured and last October I hurt my shoulder while working. Their workman's comp representative denied my claim. Their reason: I live a dangerous lifestyle and participate in high risk, high injury activities, i.e. skydiving. How did they find out about my skydiving? Ask my boss. Be careful who you talk to.

Workmens comp by it's very nature is a adversial situation. The workmens comp rep works for the company not you. Their job is to deny claims:o

If you can prove that you were actually injured at work, surf the net and find out the next step in the process in the state that your employed in for settleing you claim.

The workmens comp rep is not judge and jury. More like a "NO" person. The Yes stamp is locked in the safe and the boss has the key. I'm guessing the state has the last word on your claim>:(

Not a lawyer. If you pursue this you will tagged as a disguntled employee, a lazy bum, etc. False claims are against the law.

R.I.P.

my Vice-President, I am starting to be leary about. Just this morning he asked if I went skydiving this weekend, and as usual, I said yes, had a great time. His response was "Man, ......... you're gunna be broke soon!" All I have to say is "ASSHOLE!!!!!!"

A more productive response might be to explain how you can spend all day skydiving and socializing with dozens of people for under $100, which is probably less than he pays for four hours of golf with three people...

Um...how did you get from here:

"Man, ......... you're gunna be broke soon!"

To here:

"a boss to use my personal life against me in evaluating how much of a raise I should get? "

??

Out
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher