cocheese

Things you loved but quit for skydiving

I haven't gone skiing in forever! (5 years)

Moving to FL probably has more to do with that than just taking up skydiving though. ;)

If I lived up north and couldn't jump in the winter, I'd probably still ski! Gotta keep myself outta trouble...

I've given up:
- time with family (I feel badly about not seeing my niece as often as I should, so I am going to make more effort in this area)
- loads of cash in the bank

That's about it. I still do "whuffo" things like seeing movies, going out to eat, etc. (granted- it's almost always with skydivers!) I just got a Busch Gardens pass for those windy days. :)
My only consistent hobbies/passions prior to skydiving were reading and music - and I still do those two, when I'm not beat from 10 hour work days, commuting, errands, housework, etc.

I have gained a lot from this sport - At this point in my life it all far outweighs any losses.

It's all about balance. I do not want skydiving to be my whole life. I don't want to be thinking, 10 years from now, "I spent all my time skydiving...and I missed out on so much else!"

I'd love to travel more. I want to see EVERYTHING. I plan to stash away money so that I can take a trip next year...

The weather has been crap lately, so I've done more whuffo stuff in the past month or so than usual. (I will not jump in variable and gusty high-teens and twenties winds - call me a wuss!)

I'm rambling. Good night!

I only just started and already i've sold my car and given up a lot of my going out at nights in an effort to save myself physically and financially for jumping.

and this is just the beginning...

And you shed not a single tear for the things that you didn't need
'Cause you knew you were finally free - Death Cab For Cutie

Sleep . . . I used to get all of my sleep on the weekends . . . now I get NONE. :D

Good one - I have to go with that! So:

1. Lying in at the weekends
2. Having a girlfriend
3. Offshore sailing
4. Much less hiking - only do that in bad weather now!![:/]
5. Thinking about other stuff when bored:P

Worth it? Hell yes...!:PB|

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

So, where is this empty house, is it near any dz's, and where are the keys? I sense a place to stay on holidays...

It's not empty, I have renters. And it's in the northwest Calgary community of Edgemont, which is I don't know about a 90 minute drive from Didsbury (a Cessna DZ if I'm not mistaken).

I just made the comment that recently I decided that I likely would never live in this house again (a 4 bedroom side-split in a nice neighborhood) because it's bigger than what a single guy needs, I'm not into the lawn care and I'm not sure if Calgary is the best place for me to be once my time in Colorado has expired and the INS tells me to get out of the US (I'm sensing that this will happen sooner rather than later). I don't know if I could handle the rain come winter time, but maybe buying a modest condo within driving distance of Pitt Meadows will be my only refuge when the time comes to leave. Ah heck, I should just sell the house, buy a trailer and live (illegally) at some southern DZ and be someone's packing #@!^&. Now how's that for irresponsible thinking? :) I wouldn't have health insurance though and that could be bad. :S

How about Sunny South africa, you would get lotsa jumps in as the USD and CAD are both strong currency's, beautiful country, DZ operating a Pilatus Porter or King Air....

Umm warm friendly south africans, beautiful girls, good wine, what more could you want?? You would be able to employ a pack #$@!

:)

"Most of us can read the writing on the wall; we just assume it's
addressed to someone else!" Ivern Ball

Hey Brains, if you had to give up someone for skydiving then they weren't right for ya in the first place. It would have been something else anyway...besides, you didn't 'give them up', you made a choice. A long term wise choice. :)

right now i would rather have her than the dz

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Okay, so what's stopping you? Is she marrying someone else or something? Are there some other insurmountable 'issues'?
We only get one go-around in this life. There's no dress rehearsal. Carpe diem and all that jazz. Oh, and Willy Shakespeare allegedly wrote: "To thine own self be true". Hugs, D.
Attitude is everything!

Nothing. I did not quit anything or anyone I loved for this sport. It expedited the exit of a boyfriend who was doomed anyway and that was a plus!
Skydiving was in my plan for decades so it was a perfect fit. Oh of course there's the skydiver's lament of not enough money, but I'm in good company there! My life, my world, only improved with the added joys of skydiving!!
YEEHAW!
Attitude is everything!