KolinskyDC

Ultimatum...Relationship or Skydiving?

The thread on quitting things you love for skydiving made me wonder. If you met someone who was the person of your dreams, but the fact that they would not be with you if you continued to skydive, which would you choose. Or if the person you are with right now, spouse or significant other, gave you and ultimatum, which would you choose. This is hypothetical, so do not give me the answer that they would never make me choose, just pretend they did.

If this had been done before, sorry, but just play along anyway.

Melissa

"May the best of your past be the worst of your future"

honestly, if they were the person of my "dreams" ... they would (are) definately be a skydiver. without a doubt.

but... if that were not the case (:S) i would choose skydiving. i would not sacrifice my own dreams and passion for someone else's selfish needs.

Depends on the relationship. Besides you can go into a relationship, and maybe the S/O will change their mind. Or you could break up due to something unrelated and go back to the sky. Best stick with the relationship, and then see what happens. The sky is always there, but that person might not be.

Skydiving is such a permanent part of my life, the SO would go in a heartbeat!

When I began skydiving I was dating a guy who came out and did one tandem, he didn't want to continue jumping.. so I broke up with him!

Its really a simply choice in my book...

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

My opinion is this. . .if the person loves you and you love them, they will not hinder your dreams and you will not hinder theirs. You compliment each other and everything flows from that - a person putting an ultimatum on you is doing it for their own selfish reasons and does not truly love you. . .therefore should not be the person of your dreams. . .
FGF #6
Darcy

It depends. One skydiver's wife overheard many instructors telling this guy to take up bowling. He was very unaware in the sky, and he was dangerous. She understood that this sport probably just wasn't for him. She was on the instructors' side. If I were him, I would've picked the relationship.
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

My opinion is this. . .if the person loves you and you love them, they will not hinder your dreams and you will not hinder theirs. You compliment each other and everything flows from that - a person putting an ultimatum on you is doing it for their own selfish reasons and does not truly love you. . .therefore should not be the person of your dreams. . .

Exactly! :)

I agree completely. Over the last 9 months since I began skydiving I have noticed that when I start dating someone, it just does not end up working for the simple fact that when I am not working or spending time with my son, I am at the DZ, and just did not have time to invest in a relationship. I literally found myself on a couple of dates after spending the whole weekend at the DZ jumping and drinking, then driving an hour and a half home on Sunday and getting out on a date and start nodding off while sitting at a restaurant :S That made my date feel wonderful. I have not dated a skydiver yet, but I think that is probably inevitable. I am curious how do skydivers make relationships work with non-skydivers?

Melissa

"May the best of your past be the worst of your future"

I cant be with someone who doesnt understand that skydiving is a big big part of my life. Therefore, most likely, if I was given an ultimatum like that, I'd say goodbye to them. I started before I met them, and I'll continue when they're gone.

And like others have said.... if he was the man of my dreams... he wouldnt be making me choose.

Recently a few non-skydiving friends told me that I was just skydiving until I met the right guy. Once I met him I would definitely want to quit skydiving.
Hmmmm. I don't think so.

I like to think that the man of my dreams would support me in anything I wanted to do.

In the past, I've never regretted walking away from relationships, but I've always regretted the things I gave up to try to make those relationships work.

I kinda gotta agree with what weegee said.

I think for most of the people on here, the "person of our dreams" would be someone who didn't mind if we were a skydiver...thus negating this ultimatum. ;)

The FAKE KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!

I totally agree with Skyyhi. When starting a relationship with someone, you should let each other know what's important in your life...if the person supports you...great then you'll know that person truely loves you for who you are not what you do.

Does that make sense...? Personally, ultimatum are for the weak/selfish/controlling individual(s). It doesn't work with me.

^_~
"Love is doing small things with great love."

Lacrosse: Legally beating men with sticks since 1492

I was chatting to some of my whuffo mates about this recently... they just couldn't understand it... "How can you choose a sport over someone you care for?"
People who don't jump don't understand how much of a part of you skydiving becomes...