KolinskyDC

Ultimatum...Relationship or Skydiving?

My ST&A said that at the PIA conferance statistics were given that showed the average skydiving career to be 5 years.

Should one sacrifice a (theoretically) life long marriage for something that typically lasts 5 years?

I've heard 7 years too. It's a good point, however, you can stack the stats anyway you like. For example, 52% of marriges in North America fail... Should one sacrifise their sport or way of life for something that has less then half a shot at success?

I guess each case is very very different.

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

My ST&A said that at the PIA conferance statistics were given that showed the average skydiving career to be 5 years.

Should one sacrifice a (theoretically) life long marriage for something that typically lasts 5 years?

That's the funny thing about statistics. How long does the average marriage last? Should one sacrifice a (theoretically) life long passion for skydiving over something (marriage) that typically lasts 5 years?

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I have been with my wife for 19 years and have been skydiving for the last 8 years. She has never limited my activities and has stood by me in times of injury, unemployment and distress. Out of the 52 weekends in a year I am probably gone 42 of them skydiving, fishing, motorcycling, hunting etc. Dee has about 10 static line/ AFF jumps and one tandem with me, however she decided skydiving just was not for her. I do not ever see her asking or demanding me to quit skydiving, but if she did and had valid reasons that I could agree with I would quit jumping. I am not going to let skydiving or any other activity come between her and I. I suppose I am a very lucky man to have found my soulmate who I would do anything for.
PLEASE REMEMB

My opinion is this. . .if the person loves you and you love them, they will not hinder your dreams and you will not hinder theirs. You compliment each other and everything flows from that - a person putting an ultimatum on you is doing it for their own selfish reasons and does not truly love you. . .therefore should not be the person of your dreams. . .

I agree with this totally! ... I've only done a tandem and because of recent health problems cannot join chopchop in the sky, but I love to see the joy on his face doing what he really loves to do, :)

You'd have to look at it from different views as to why an ultimatum was given.

My husband and I each have our own hobbies and dreams and we don't try to invade the space that comes with those. We try to be as supportive of each other in our respective hobbies/dreams because not doing so would create friction, and friction would make the relationship not work.

Its not just skydiving, but everything in general. If I was dating and the person gave me an ultimatum regarding skydiving, I would take a deeper look and realize there are probably other things that aren't working either.

No one should be forced to give up dreams/hobbies/aspirations at the unwarranted request of another.

Jennifer
Arianna Frances

relationships come and go, but skydiving is forever! It's all about skydivingB|
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

Im w/ the majority of folks here. If she tried to get me to change who I was by asking me to quit jumping, she'd not be the one. I know my skydiving is putting a strain on my relationship now. Mostly cuz Im gone and spend lots o money, but at least theres none of that what do you love more crap that I got when I was drag racing. :S
If you s/o was everything you'd ever wanted, it wouldnt be an issue.
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

I picked skydiving in the poll, but then I began thinking about it. I guess I could theoretically picture a scenario where I could give it up if:

1. I were truly, absolutely in a lifelong relationship where I was completely in love, unlike anything I have experienced thus far, and

2. There was a real need. I'm talking a family, economic, or medical need for me to quit, not just a psychotic jealousy thing, then yes, I would give it up in a heartbeat. It would suck though.

I had a movie idea about this 4 months ago. Called "Protrac Blues "
Husband gets ultimatum, says he'll start to golf(please forgive me).Says he sold all his gear which is kept at the dz. He even comes home with muddy golf shoes and plays the part good by practicing in the yard a bit and buying a few golf shirts instead of skydive tshirts.(which she let him keep thank God). Anyway, long movie short.....she finds the Pro-trac audible in the back seat of the car. "Let's see here ... looks like you made 6 jumps Sat. Pulled a little low on that last one i see". He's doomed. Drives to the dz and trades his car for a trailer and lives happily ever after. Gosh I like happy endings. Cut

A guy decides to blow off work one day. He heads for a bar and drinks for 3 hours. It's about noon and a beautiful girl comes in and sits down. They talk for 30 minutes and she invites him over to her place to hang out.

Things get out of hand and they have sex for hours. Suddenly, he looks up, realizes it is after 6pm. He looks at the girl and says "Slap me really hard." She does, he gets up and leaves. He is driving home and he hangs his head out the window and lets his hair blow around.

He arrives at his house, his wife is at the door. He says, "Honey, I took the day off, went to a bar, met a girl, and we had wild sex all afternoon." His wife looks at his hair and the mark on the side of his face and says, "That's a riser burn, you've been skydiving again, haven't you!" :ph34r:

honestly, if they were the person of my "dreams" ... they would (are) definately be a skydiver. without a doubt.

i agree with this line of thinking...the person of my dreams would be supportive at least of it. they don't have to do it though! being a skydiver though is a plus of course. the question is somewhat irrelavant in this community i thinks! ;)

Relationships come and go.. Skydiving is forever.

I've just started skydiving recently, and it seems to me that it's such a lifestyle and so time consuming that it would seem difficult to have a non-jumping partner. Anyway, all I can say now is that I'm smitten with skydiving! :P.

If someone was already in a relationship then started skydiving, I could see how it might cause a problem.
"If the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girl's sports such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing." - Homer Simpson

I'm certainly not one that should reply to this one:S...but I have a few thoughts on the topic. If your SO gives you an ultimatim regarding skydiving or the relationship, there's something else going sour in the relationship and the skydiving seems like the easy thing to blame. Perhaps they feel left out or ignored. Also, I think that a good relationship should be give and take. What I mean by that is that if he has something he enjoys doing (and even if you're not crazy about it) that you join him or atleast support him and vice versa. It should make both happy to see their SO doing something they enjoy. That's my $.02:)