AggieDave

Skydiving on TLC tonight

Apparently there's a show called "Sports Disasters" and it will have a "skydive gone horribly wrong" on it tonight at 9pm Et 8pm Central.

I wonder if it'll be as bad and uninformed as RealTV is.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Apparently there's a show called "Sports Disasters" and it will have a "skydive gone horribly wrong" on it tonight at 9pm Et 8pm Central.

I wonder if it'll be as bad and uninformed as RealTV is.

I wonder if I'll be on it :)

--
Hook high, flare on time

I wonder if it'll be as bad and uninformed as RealTV is

[announcer]And this is when things went TERRIBLY wrong! After jumping out of an airplane at 2,000ft and plummeting toward the earth for almost a minute, his parachute FAILED to deploy automatically as it was supposed to! He had to MANUALLY reach back, pull on a handle that very few skydivers know about on the bottom of his backpack, which released a round piece of fabric and OPENED HIS PARACHUTE! He was mere seconds from death! [/announcer]

:D

Mike

I wonder if it'll be as bad and uninformed as RealTV is

[announcer]And this is when things went TERRIBLY wrong! After jumping out of an airplane at 2,000ft and plummeting toward the earth for almost a minute, his parachute FAILED to deploy automatically as it was supposed to! He had to MANUALLY reach back, pull on a handle that very few skydivers know about on the bottom of his backpack, which released a round piece of fabric and OPENED HIS PARACHUTE! He was mere seconds from death! [/announcer]

:D

Mike

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!

I had a jumped go exactly like that last week!:D

pull on a handle that very few skydivers know about on the bottom of his backpack

Why am I always the last to know, come on ppl you gotta tell me these things:)

The student film was actually pretty good, where the chick was spinning very fast. I have seen a video like that at the DZ before..

pull on a handle that very few skydivers know about on the bottom of his backpack

Why am I always the last to know, come on ppl you gotta tell me these things:)

The student film was actually pretty good, where the chick was spinning very fast. I have seen a video like that at the DZ before..

Man, is that what that handle was for? I was wondering how people could afford to making 1000'S of jumps having to pay for a new cypress cutter and reserve repack for every jump!
Remster

I thought it was portrayed very positively actually. Student went out of control. That was a FAST spin, not a "normal" spin. The instructor really did a great job getting in there, stopping the spin, and pulling for the student. And I thought they did a good job explaining it from the instructors perspective, not the freaked out student's. Considering they interviewed the instructor, I'd bet she was the one that sent it in. The video makes the instructor the hero. Very positive toward her.

Dave

I thought it was portrayed very positively actually. Student went out of control. That was a FAST spin, not a "normal" spin. The instructor really did a great job getting in there, stopping the spin, and pulling for the student. And I thought they did a good job explaining it from the instructors perspective, not the freaked out student's. Considering they interviewed the instructor, I'd bet she was the one that sent it in. The video makes the instructor the hero. Very positive toward her.

Dave

ok. you're right... to US, as skydivers, it had a positive outcome. to everyone else who knows nothing about the sport, seeing that is like "holy shit, that chick almost died!!!" and then there is even less of a chance that they will ever come out to do a tandem or give it a shot.

i don't know. i see where you are coming from, but i guess i just disagree. i don't think that skydiving incidents or near-incidents have a place on public television.

Well, since I shot that video of Sally and the spinning student, here is my take.
I have sold as much "good" video to TV as "bad"
Its all what really happens. Fun videos of goofy skydiving, and students who had to be stopped by jumpmasters and the occasional bad pond swoop. Never a fatality.
I don't see anyone complaining about people who write fiction movies and make skydivers out to be: federal back robbers, drug dealers, and a whole lot of other bad things. -Tony
My O.C.D. has me chasing a dream my A.D.D. won't let me catch.

Well, since I shot that video of Sally and the spinning student, here is my take.
I have sold as much "good" video to TV as "bad"
Its all what really happens. Fun videos of goofy skydiving, and students who had to be stopped by jumpmasters and the occasional bad pond swoop. Never a fatality.
I don't see anyone complaining about people who write fiction movies and make skydivers out to be: federal back robbers, drug dealers, and a whole lot of other bad things. -Tony

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your response. And I mean no disrespect. But to be honest... I hate all of those movies you are refering to. And sure, I hear people complaining about them all the time. It's just my personal opinion that the bad side of skydiving should be left for those that truely understand what they are watching. The video itself was very well shot... impressive. ;)

Just my two cents,
Liz