weegegirl

Would you sell out?

As it stands, I have already had to take a sobattical from the sport; getting paid to quit altogether would just be a bonus... I could DEFINATELY take good care of my son for a million dollars... single parenting is a lot of hard work...

But absolutely, positively nothing UNDER 1m would make me quit altogether...

I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it.
- Voltaire

There is more to life than skydiving.

Amen.

I think an interesting poll would be to break it down into 'years in sport' vs 'selling out'
I'm pretty sure people with over 4 years in the sport are more likely to 'sell out' and people with less than 4 years just don't understand that concept :D

Read my post above and check out my time in sport:P

According to Point Break, surfing is the source.

I don't surf, so I would not know...It is on the list of things to do. So I'll let you know.

But I have always been an aviation kid. I used to play with model airplanes while my brother played with model cars.

I used to ride my bike to the airport just to sit by the fence and watch planes take off...I'd sit there trying to get in the planes propwash to feel the power. I'd take my 20 cents in my pocket so I could get a hot chocolate from the crew area...I'd have to sit for an hour before it cooled down enough so I could drink it.

So the air has always been my playground. But even with all that I could quit when and if the time comes.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I just thought it was funny you said that since people often say Point Break turned them onto skydiving, and I have a vivid memory of the scene where Keanu goes into a surf shop to buy a board and there's a 12 year old kid at the counter who says "surfing's the source, man, it will change your life for sure."

I don't surf, so I would not know...It is on the list of things to do. So I'll let you know.

The kid also says "you're never too old to start." :P So go get your board duuuude. I'm going on a surf trip to Costa Rica in 2 months. B|
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I'd sell out for mucho millions (and that amount only) and buy myself a freakin' wind tunnel!!! ;)

:o:o:o:o:o

You'd sell out?!?!?! That's it! We're through!!! :D:D:D:D

I'll bet that with mucho millions, someone else will help him through the heartbreak. ;)

Nah. I know the truth. WrongWay could NEVER sell out. He's got to be the number one most obsessed person I've ever known in my life. :ph34r::P

... I'm second. :D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The kid also says "you're never too old to start." So go get your board duuuude. I'm going on a surf trip to Costa Rica in 2 months

Hey is there a surfing forum around?...I thought I would join then act like I know what I am doing and ignore all the guys with experience.;)

Can I get a cool small board with flames painted on it? Its all about the gear right?

(Not a slam on you...just a general slam)
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Nah. I know the truth. WrongWay could NEVER sell out. He's got to be the number one most obsessed person I've ever known in my life. :ph34r::P

... I'm second. :D

This is true, I'm so obsessed it's unhealthy, and I love it. :)
You're almost as obsessed Liz, you haven't considered selling any internal organs to skydive more yet.....:D:D:D

I'll give ya 50 bucks for your appendix, what do ya say? ;)

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

Reading the post about famous people that jump got me thinking.

Hypothetically speaking...

So, you are you... a skydiver... addicted... obsessed... one of us.

One day, someone approaches you and offers you a contract. They will give you X ammount of money under one condition... you will never be permitted to jump again. This includes skydiving and base.

Would you sell out?

Personally, I'm so freakin obsessed, that I think if someone offered me 10 million to never jump again, I'd tell em to go piss off.

Hmm - Nope - I might could change my mind at a later date - but as of right now - the challenge of becoming better at something this difficult to master is keepinbg me as sane as anything else I could imagine right now. So, no, not selling out.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I'd sell out...sure. I love skydiving...

but there are more important things in my life than skydiving...like my husband, children, and other family.

there are lots of things I could do in this life that would be fun....and I spent 33 years of my life without skydiving. Would I miss it? of course...

but while skydiving is a BLAST to me...it's not the most important thing in the world to me.

--------------------------------------------
Elfanie
My Skydiving Page
Fly Safe - Soft Landings

A lot of people have made that point... mentioning husbands, wives, children, etc. I wonder if I will feel different someday? For now, my only commitments are my boyfriend, who is equally/more obsessed than myself, and my two cats, who also enjoy the occasional base jump. :P I couldn't imagine my life without the freedom to jump.

Would you sell out?

Personally, I'm so freakin obsessed, that I think if someone offered me 10 million to never jump again, I'd tell em to go piss off.

As much as I'd like to agree with you, my ideals went away with my morgage

I'm not afriad of dying, I'm afraid of never really living- Erin Engle

What would be the point in having tons of cash if you can't do the one thing you REALLY REALLY love. Sure, I could find lots of other things to do but right now, not sure I could say I'd give up skydiving. It's brought THAT much to my life this past year.

:)

Dreams become reality, one choice at a time...

It would take several million for me to say I'd never skydive again, but that several million would pay for me to travel around the world looking for the best scuba spots for probably the rest of my life

Can I join?

Give me enough money to spend rest of my life to scuba diving around the world and I'd be sold.

How about no contract? just hypothetically you hit it real big on the lottery, say 20 million. Would you quit jumping due to the over abundance of money?

Does this imply that we skydive because if we had more money we'd do something apart from skydiving that costs more? I don't understand the question.

If I had scads of millions of dollars, I'd probably buy a DZ, a few planes, and run the place at a loss, charging maybe $5 to 14,000ft.

Okay, I'll go one better:

I hereby promise that IF I ever win $20 million or more in a lotter, I WILL operate a dropzone and charge only $5 per jump.
Hold me to it. If I win such money, I'll be glad to make good on that promise.
-
P.S. This DZ will probably have chef-catered food, full bathing facilities, movie theater, hot tubs, gear store, rigging loft, and just about every other luxury that you'd want there.

-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

How about no contract? just hypothetically you hit it real big on the lottery, say 20 million. Would you quit jumping due to the over abundance of money?

Does this imply that we skydive because if we had more money we'd do something apart from skydiving that costs more? I don't understand the question.

20 Mil after taxes?

Well, I'd definately have to sit down with a financial planner, since I would want to have my money make me enough money to retire on someday and retire well. Student loans would be paid off, money would be invested for future children's education, mainly it would be invested. I think I'd have to start a company that leases turbine aircraft to DZs. Specifically the type of turbines that a 182 DZ that's growing would really need so to make the next step into a larger turbine aircraft.

Oh, some would be set aside for "mad cash" stupid purchases for me and my fiance. "Stupid" stuff like new Harleys for us.B| We have to have somethingn cool to ride to the DZ on.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

With extra money to travel around you might find there is something you could love more than skydiving. I started jumping in the early 70s, quit for 23 yrs and started back in 97 after a divorce. Now i'm married again, nearing 53 and missing my art work I put aside when I got divorced. If you looked hard enough I think you could find something.