Viking

Black Widow Spider Crawling up your arm SUCKS!!!!!!

Ok so i was just outside moving pine logs and branchs that have been sitting out in the field for about a year. Like a moron i just picked up one of the logs and was moving when i felt this big black hairy fugger crawling on my arm!!!:S:S:S:S:o:o Damn near dropped the log on my foot swipping that thing off me!

I'm fine with spiders as long as they don't touch me! *shudder*

The Black widows venom is 15 times stronger than a rattle snakes.
Picture
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

Dude that sucks. Good thing you didn't get bit. But black widows are shiny and black, not hairy. Hairy spider implies tarantula - which are nasty but not as dangerous as black widows.
7CP#1 | BTR#2 | Payaso en fuego Rodriguez
"I want hot chicks in my boobies!"- McBeth

i'm profoundly phobic of critters. Spiders, crickets, roaches, big freaking ants. I'm phobic of all of them.

Black widows? Yeah, they scare the hell outta me, like recluses and wolf spiders.

Indeed, I am suffering an attack of the willies right now thinking about it...

My wife is hotter than your wife.

The Black widows venom is 15 times stronger than a rattle snakes.

Maybe interms of ml per ml. But if you get bit by a bw, your arm will swell and you might get sick, but you most likely will not die. However, if a rattler bit you... you better have a will made up unless you can get medical attention.

Now a brown recluse.... those can kill ya!

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump

Ya the brown recluse is damn scary but we on the west coast don't have to worry about it. The worst spider to get hit by is the trap door spider in Australia
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

My mom got bit by one recently and was in the hospital last week because of it (they think a recluse). They opened her arm from just above her elbow to her wrist to let the poison out and left it open for about 2 days while she was on antibiotics. Luckily no muscle or bone was damaged!

I saw my first black widow in this bug-ridden NC recently while sitting on the porch. I really don't know what they do?? Are they really THAT poisonous? Now I'm wigged out. I left it alone cuz I don't like squishing anything, but maybe I should call an exterminator!

Pammi

she is very lucky...My brother was so little and stuff that they were really worried about him for a long time, he is just fine now, infact he just got two baby tigers for his birthday (he is a magician).

You def. should get an exterminator out.

edited to add, if you find the black widow's egg sac eat it. I heard it is a delicacy somewhere...I wonder why that hasn't been on fear factor yet. Oh and if you dont eat the egg sack, put it in a very tight container and take it to the dump or your put it in your least favorite person's yard...

Are they really THAT poisonous?

It is my understanding that, like comparing hot sauces, comparing animal venoms is not easy because they have different classifications and methods of operation.

It is also my understanding that spider venoms tend to be some of the most complex we know about - in many cases so complex we don't really know what all the molecules are or how they work. (Certainly we know how some of them work.)

And finally, it is my understanding that the injuriousness of being envenomed by a spider has to do with more than just the type of spider and how much venom they pump in - the site of the wound and other factors currently unknown (which must therefore be lumped under "luck") play a role. That's why we hear of people who recover over the course of weeks from a brown recluse envenomation with just some major sloughing (i.e. a big cone of flesh rots out around the wound site) when bitten on an arm or leg, but others die from the same kind of spider after two days when bitten on the temple.

Around here (Seattle area) our biggest problem is tegenaria agrestis. Give me tegenaris gigantea instead anytime - better big hairy black bastards that can't hurt you than medium hairy brown bastards that can.

Of course, the only way to tell them apart for sure is size. If it's huge, it's safe. If it's not huge, can't be sure.

BTW, when I visit my sister in California, I like to catch black widows in jars for fun. Those guys are fast!

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

hey just because a spider is black doesn't mean its a black widow spider... it was probably just one of the hundreds of kinds of normal black spiders.

and also, i think that most people will survive a black widow bite with no medical attention... they have so little poison.

but even being bitten by a normal spider is annoying, it turns into a big hard corn type of thing that lasts for a like a week.

MB 3528, RB 1182

I spent a nice day in the ER a month ago due to a hungry 8 legged friend snacking on my feet while I was sleeping at camp (work related). Oddest thing ever. All of a sudden my feet were swollen beyond Teva-fitting size, itched beyond belief, and I'd lost feeling in toes due to the swelling. Within an hour I had huge (like almost the circumference of my leg huge) bulls eye rashes working their way up my legs. Not cool. ER doc said it was definitely a spider, as the steroids kicked in and swelling went down a little you could see the little *fang* bites in the center of bruises in my feet.

No rotting tissues or anything, but a nice course of prescriptions that made life not fun!

__

Ya the brown recluse is damn scary but we on the west coast don't have to worry about it

Uh Arthur dear...they are coming for youhttp://dermatology.cdlib.org/DOJvol5num2/special/recluse.html

Ok that site freaked me out. Don't look at the pictures if your arachnaphobic
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Maybe interms of ml per ml. But if you get bit by a bw, your arm will swell and you might get sick, but you most likely will not die. However, if a rattler bit you... you better have a will made up unless you can get medical attention.

Now a brown recluse.... those can kill ya!

This is wrong.

Both spiders are shy and nocturnal, but are defensive.

The black widow bites are painful and contain a toxin which can cause dizziness, weakness, nausea, sweating, shock, coma, respiratory failure, and death. The old and the young should be hospitalized and antivenin is needed to counter the toxin. (Black widows are recognizable as black spiders with a red hour glass on the underside of their abdomen)

The brown recluse confers a painless bite which contain enzymes that digest tissue. This causes necrosis (or death) of the tissue local to the bite and can result in rashes and gangrene. Skin will slough off (or fall off) and it can be physically disfiguring. Steroids are needed to treat these bites. (Brown recluse spiders are recognizable as having a violin shape on their thorax)

Of course, the severity of the bite can vary on location. Both require medical attention, but the black widow bite poses the greater life threat.

(sorry, just studied parasitology not too long ago. I will try hard to restrain the nerd in me! );)
Take me, I am the drug; take me, I am hallucinogenic.
-Salvador Dali