lewmonst

Is this bonus question too hard for 6th graders?

The Sierpinski Triangle Fractal shown above is created by similar triangles. Each smaller set of triangles have lengths that are ½ of the next larger and areas that are ¼ of the next larger.
In the fourth triangle above on the right, what is the ratio of length of a side of the smallest triangle to the largest?

What is the ratio of the area of the smallest triangle to the largest?

So do you think 6th graders can get that?
http://www.exitshot.com

Geeze! What time is Recess??? I'd say its too friggin' hard. It reads like a middle school question--an AMBITIOUS middle school. I dated a high school algebra teacher and used to help him type up exams. His bonus questions were USUALLY something to take the edge off...some pop culture trivia ...something to make the kids laugh. I loved the answer 'Beatles? Do you mean Beetlejuice?' But when he made a serious bonus question, such as the one you posted, he didn't take off points.
Thats a little heavy for a 13 y/o. Me thinks Sierpinski would benefit from a flying wedgie :D~~April

Camelot II, the Electric Boogaloo!

Can they use a calculator? And what's the height of an equilateral triangle? square root of 2 times the lengh of a side? Geez if I could remember what I knew in 6th grade it might help. Then again they havent done geometry yet so I'd say not many will get it.

Dave

Oops! really?

Well, they've been doing similar figures, polygons, triangles, ratios, proportions and all that recently. I think it's too long-winded though, I'll come up with something shorter... I think probably 5 of my 16 kids could get it...

thanks
lew

L=16
A=256

It's not really that difficult if you look at it.

I would image that even an average 12-year-old child should be able to figure out a method for dealing with it by looking at the diagrams.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Thinking of what I did in 6th grade, I think it's just fine. The verbiage is excess, but that's OK or even desirable in an extra credit problem, it makes em think about wtf they are doing. Many of the math problems I've solved since I graduated ('00) are problems where my peers confused the relevant data with the bad.

nathaniel
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

Well coming from another teacher I think it is a great "extra credit" question. I would not "DUMB" it down just because others think math is too difficult. Anything you can do do to challenge a young students mind is worth doing. Even if they dont get the answer correct, they will learn a lot in the process.

no google, hand-written test...

I simplified it to just the length:

The Sierpinski Triangle Fractal shown above is created by similar triangles.

Each smaller set of triangles have lengths that are ½ of the next larger.

In the fourth triangle above on the right, what is the ratio of length of a side of the smallest triangle to the largest?

and I gave them a 2nd extra credit question.

thanks
lew

no google, hand-written test...

I simplified it to just the length:

The Sierpinski Triangle Fractal shown above is created by similar triangles.

Each smaller set of triangles have lengths that are ½ of the next larger.

and I gave them a 2nd extra credit question.

thanks
lew

Lew if it's not to late how about leaving out the The "Sierpinski Triangle Fractal" from the question.?

IMO you might get more kids trrying to look at the triangle's and figure out the answer.

R.I.P.

The Sierpinski Triangle Fractal shown above is created by similar triangles. Each smaller set of triangles have lengths that are ½ of the next larger and areas that are ¼ of the next larger.

What is the ratio of the area of the smallest triangle to the largest?

So do you think 6th graders can get that?

Can I buy a vowel?

:D

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."