diverdriver

Spread the Love

Thanks for posting that Chris. That truly expresses how you felt about him. I'm sure he will be missed by many, even those that never met him, like me.

Somebody hand me a Kleenex, please. :(
Blue Ones Roger!

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump

Nice job Chris,,well put words,,,,,Roger and I grew up in the same town,,we were nieghbors since we were 5 or 6 years old....Roger was always Roger, even as a little kid you could feel he was going to be an achiever in life,,,,Roger was the motivating factor for me to skydive, and then my brother as well. I would see him at Hinckley from time to time and as soon as he opened Skydive Sandwich,,we were there. Its been history after history ever since. We have yet to even begin to understand the huge loss presented us,,,,,,,,,,,,,,If you had any respect for Roger,,you can honor him by "Spreading The Love"
That was Roger.....................Eternal Blue Skies

wally tarasewicz FB# 1083
smile, be nice, enjoy life
FB # - 1083

That was beautiful, Chris.

I have overwhelming emotions that I have been fighting off, and your remembrance of Roger caused them all to come spilling out.

Roger was loved by everyone. Even those of us that left the sport feel this loss.

My prayers to all who are struggling to cope and understand.

God speed, Roger.

Jaimie

Thanks to all you with your kind words. I'm glad I could help some of you with this too. Your PMs have been great. Here is a picture of Roger at Nationals 2002. He was so proud and so happy to be hosting them at his facility. Man, what an awards presentation that was.

Sorry for the large file size. I just don't seem to want to take the time to downsize it. Roger, Missy, and Bill Ottley I presume.

http://ourworld.cs.com/Diverdriver9/RogerMissyBillOttley.JPG

I'm trying to find another picture of Roger and myself and can't remember who took it. Taken about the same time and put in parachutist. I'd love to have that one.

Chris

Thank you Chris. Like so many, my heart is breaking. I've known Roger since I did my AFF Instructor Cert in 87. I was always amazed when he remembered me after not bumping into him for a couple years. Roger is truly a special person and his loss is devastating to not just SDC but to the entire skydiving community. (Whether some realize it or not!)
Roger, we love you and will miss you.

Thank you Chris for putting into words what is in the hearts of us all. Already, you help carry on the philosophy and vision of Roger. I can't thank you enough for that!!

Blue skies Roger...we will continue to spread the love!!

Karla

-----------------------------------------------------
When you're going to extremes...you taste adrenaline!!

Chris -
Thank you. We all appreciate your post on this forum. We especially appreciate talking to you this past weekend. I agree with Karla - Roger would be proud that you are spreading the love (his philosophy).

Lisa & Todd

Chris,

Thank you for that! I was so shocked when I read about Roger's passing on this board. I read a lot of very nice postings about him, but yours really showed what kind of person Roger grew into over the years.

I met Roger (and Carl) in 1974 or 75 at Z-Hills where the manifester just naturally put Roger & Roger together on the load. He introduced himself and asked "hey, you want to do a pre-star on the way down?" We did, and then raced down to the growing star. When we got to the ground, I went over and said "Wow, you're the first person I haven't been able to outrun in a dive," to which he replied "I was going to say the same thing." Well, we made many more jumps (Carl too) during that meet and just seemed to hit of off (I think just about everyone hit if off with Roger). I was working for Bill Booth at the time, but soon went to work for Bill Buchman and flew up to Aurora with him bringing our L-18 Loadstar for the summer. Roger came over to our house (overtons airport it was called, a house with a 1500ft airstrip for a back yard) and made several jumps with me from Bill's Vagabond. We jumped at Hinkley mostly that summer, but also went over to two places in Michigan for record attempts (Carl took a great series of photos on one jump where Roger helped close the star back up after it broke on one side and was an East Coast record). We did a weekend at Southbend Indiana too where there were more malfunctions than any of us had ever seen (I packed 13 reserves Saturday and 15 Sunday). A few years later, I heard about Carl's death. I talked with Roger who had backed off jumping some, but he knew he was wasn't done. I have been thinking about a 30 year anniversary jump myself (July 1st, 1973 was my first) and had emailed Roger in April about the requirements since I hadn't jumped since about 1980. That was the last contact I had with him.

Roger was completely at ease in freefall, even back then. He had a complete sense of what was going on around him and instinctively knew what to do. I am so very glad to have known him and to have called him my friend. My heart goes out to Missy and Rook whom I have never met, but have been thinking about these past few days.

FB# 271

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

"It's going to be huge." My quote when asked what the memorial was going to be like. And it was. People from all over. The Herd, the Freak Brothers, Team Funnel, The Pink Mafia and many many more were there to show respect and pay tribute to a man who touched so many lives.

"This is the big-way Roger always wanted to build." Laurian's quote about Roger's love for all of us and why he drove himself so hard to build something for people to gather in. It was beautiful to see all the people there. And I know so many more wished they could have been there too. I felt all of you. And I appreciate your vibes. And then something interesting happened. You all know that in the Memorial announcement it said that "Roger wanted balloons at his memorial." Well, I printed out many of the words posted here and on other threads for Roger. They were rolled up individually and put in a balloon. Renee and other Team Funnel members helped out with the whole process. I wanted them all grouped together to show the massive support from those who could not be there. We tied the balloons together in the front lobby. As we did this some others wanted to have their balloons tied in. It grew. And it grew. So we moved it out into the hangar before we weren't able to get it through the door. Once in plain sight everyone was coming up and asking to put their balloons in with the group. Balloons with memories of Roger. Condolences to the family. Everything very personal. And each balloon was filled with their own breath. As though we all were giving CPR to Roger one last time. Filling him up with life again. And I know it worked. You had to see all the people in the hangar. Roger's influence is not gone. It will be felt for decades. You know why? Because we each take a part of Roger forward and use it to help our fellow man. "Pay it forward." Whatever you want to call it. Roger is still alive in each and everyone of us that he influenced. And his request was that we all take the time to help each other.

Pastor Laurian did a wonderful job (if not a bit long) of getting Roger's message across. That his faith in Jesus was strong and that he hoped for all of us to find Jesus and try to live as Christians treating each other with respect. Roger had to find his path and he hoped that all of us would find our own path to a happy, fulfilled life with Jesus involved.

Many people gathered long before the service. It was amazing to see so many people that I've gotten to know over the years just because I worked for Roger. The service began at noon and a couple minutes into it a voice from the heavens spoke and said "THE MEMORIAL SERVICE IS STARTING NOW. WOULD YOU PLEASE GO TO THE MAIN HANGAR TO JOIN US. THANK YOU." Oh Eric. Your timing could not have been more perfect. It gave us all a chuckle and lightened the mood in this heavy time. It reminded us that life does go on and there will be laughter in our lives as hard as that is to believe during the sad times. Laurian spoke to all about life and death but that the spirit does not die. He asked us to gather on the north side of the hangar and line the driveway down to the ramp to say goodbye one last time to Roger. We all quietly walked out and I got in N10EA. The Enterprise. Uncle Jimmy's plane. Ready to take Roger on his eternal flight. Missy, Rook, and Laurian walked with Roger down to the ramp. Laurian said a few words that only the 3 of them heard. And then they boarded. As I started the right engine everyone had moved more towards the ramp and started clapping and cheering for Roger. Man, I wanted to hear that cheering for ever. The turbines spooled up and the noise we love so much as skydivers took over. We were going flying.

Off the ground I contacted ATC to go to 18K. Chicago Center is so good to us. No problem. It was such a quick flight. The controller expressed his condolences to us (they knew it was the memorial jump) and wished us "Good day". It was a good day. It was perfect blue with no clouds at all. The view from 18K was tremendous and the winds were light all the way up. We approached the airport and gave them the door and exit light. And he was gone. "It is finished."

But it is not the end.

Chris

I've attached a pictue of the balloon bouquet but I assure you that the final form was twice the size you see here. The DZ.com section was started on the left side of the bouquet and it grew out to the right. Everyone wanted to be a part of it. Thank you all so much.

BalloonsForRoger2sml.jpg

I joined a group of about 15 from Chicagoland, we flew the spotted Otter into the memorial service, ariving around 11:15. We were instantly amazed at the number of planes parked outside.

My best guess was about 400 people showed up. The main hanger has half filled with chairs and ended up being standing room only. It was amazing to see so many familiar faces, some good friends, some people I haven't seen in ages too. I saw familiar faces from all over the world. It was really amazing to see so many people who's lives had been affected in one way or another by Roger.

The service itself was very touching. Two of the most poignant moments were the pastor signing Rogers last logbook entry, and Rook and Missy walking down the ramp and boarding the Otter for their last jump with their Dad. I don't think there was a dry eye on the property.

Rogers influence in this sport will be felt for decades to come. He lives on through all the people he touched.

Chris, I'm sure Roger knew it was you flying his last load. He would not have had it any other way.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Words can not describe the feeling yesterday, pulling into SDC. To see all the planes in formation, all the people, Hinckley’s planes, plus another 15 or so, all the cars was very moving to all.

The service was great, the stories, and the final jump. All I can say is WOW. I am glad Roger took me on the demo jump over the church. HAHA

Hats off to all of the SDC staff that made the service possible (Donavan, Orion, etc).

I should get my pics developed today and hopefully get 'em posted by the end of the week. Seeing everyone there yesterday was wonderful. I don't remember what i took pics of, but i guess i'll find out.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Hats off to all of the SDC staff that made the service possible (Donavan, Orion, etc).

On the subject of hats, thanks also to Kirk and Para Concepts for the FB caps. I think they gave away over 400 of them.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

It was truely a service like no other. After we exited the building and waited on on the ramp for Missy and Rook. I read a post that there wasn't a dry eye in the crowd and I didn't look around to much but I very much doubt there was. It was a very touching moment. Alot of people were there and I wasn't amazed at all by the number, just having ment Roger a few times I knew it would be that large. Roger touched alot of people, those that knew him personaly and those who didn't. That was shown by the people who talked during the service. It great to see 4 canopys open above and one floating with a free bag just below it knowing someone had a malfunction (Rook) and Roger was looking out for him and he had a wonderful reserve ride which he swooped in.

Roger is a wonderful person and even though he isn't with his anymore in body he is with us in spirit and will always be in the hearts of many!

There is one thing I haven't seen mentioned yet. The eagle that few by during the service.

Spread the Love