Casch

Are you Left or Right handed? Are you sure?

I was just thinking about how even though we can be left or right handed, there are some things we always do with our non-dominant hands. For instance I'm right handed, I just opened a can of soda with my right hand and it felt really really awkward. I usually open them with my left, but I had fresh spray paint on my hand and didn't want to get it on the rim of the can. I also peel bananas with my non-dominant hand. So what are some other things you do with your non-dominant hand? Oh, and try to keep this thread rated PG

Just kiddin ;)

The only thing I do that is the same as a right hander is, I eat with the fork in my left hand, like every one else.
Otherwise I do EVERYTHING left handed:)
Left handed people are always right in the head;)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I do most everything right-handed, but I deal cards with my left hand[:/].

After someone pointed this out to me, I tried t dealwith my right hand -- couldn't do it.

Just another of my weird habits, I guess.

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

Right handed but left eye dominant. real fun shooting. Most weapons are made for right-handed people. Hot 7.62 shell + collar bone=erratical grouping.>:(>:(

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

I generally write with my right hand. Simply because its more convenient, as you don't have to worry about smearing the ink you just put down.

Everything else I pretty much do interchangably, depending on what hand I happen to pick up the item in.

I play pool right handed, but when a shot is tricky, instead of going behind the back, its just easier for me to switch hands. In baseball, I can bat both righty and lefty, and which hand I throw with depends entirely on whether I happened to pick up my right or left handed mitt.

I blame this skill on my parents getting a computer when I was three. I learned to type before I could write, developing small motor skills in both hands. I also played a lot of video games when I was a kid.

I blame this skill on my parents getting a computer when I was three. I learned to type before I could write, developing small motor skills in both hands. I also played a lot of video games when I was a kid.

Really? We had a computer ever since I was born, and I was playing on it and typing on it when I was young. I type fast and accurate, but I do nothing with my left hand. I'm very right-handed. I can't throw left handed, golf left handed, write left-handed, etc. I do nothing with my left hand unless I have to.
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

but if you tried, you would probably do much better left handed than someone who has not had the small-muscle control training of computer usage. There's a scientific theory that's gaining more credibility that, while for a few people, handedness is really set, most of us learn it to some extent.

There's a scientific theory that's gaining more credibility that, while for a few people, handedness is really set, most of us learn it to some extent.

My Aunt lived with us during most of my life. She only had partial use of her right hand, so everything she taught me was left-handed.

I write left-handed. I play short shots and spins in ping-pong left-handed, but long shots right-handed.
In tennis, I play right-handed by choice, but can play left-handed if my right arm gets tired.

I'm in IT, a huge number of IT people are left-handed.

Interesting question... for one handed activities - squash, er... writing etc, I am fully left handed, but for two handed activities (eating, hockey, cricket etc) I am effectively right handed, since that is the way I was taught to do those things.

Some things I can do equally well with either hand.;):PB|

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

I'm right handed, right eyed, and right footed. i can't think of a single thing i do with my left hand.
a few months ago though, i hurt my right hand pretty good, and had to use my left hand for everything for about a month. that was so weird

MB 3528, RB 1182

Right handed but left eye dominant. real fun shooting. Most weapons are made for right-handed people. Hot 7.62 shell + collar bone=erratical grouping.>:(>:(

Drives me nuts too. Before Lasik I would fight it and shoot with the right eye, but the operation left me with a left eye better than 20/20, right eye slightly worse than 20/20.

I've always use the computer mouse with my left hand - keeps down the repetitive stress injuries and esp with the throttle on the motorcycling being on the right.
Donkey Kong was the the game in the 80s with the left handed joystick - lots of people did a whacky cross hand routine, I just learned to use left hand the stick and use my more adept right hand to do buttons. Very effective for Galaga.

but if you tried, you would probably do much better left handed than someone who has not had the small-muscle control training of computer usage.

No, people actually laugh at me for how bad I am with my left hand. I can't do anything with my left hand. I took gymnastics starting at the age of 4, and even then I could never do left-handed cartwheels/etc.
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

OK everybody, let's take this to the next level...

How many people have trouble doing a particular skydiving move in one direction, but have NO problems in the other?

For me, it's headdown-to-headdown or headdown-to-sit cartwheels. Cartwheels to my right are no problem, but it takes all the will I have to make one to the left work...

Is this a manifestation of the righthand vs. lefthand bias we have in our lives, or did I just unintentionally teach myself to stick to cartwheels in one direction?

elvisio "physiological stuff" rodriguez

Your body naturally has a "side" that is dominant for most things. For example, gymnasts are either right-footed or left-footed, and it tends to have nothing to do with which one is your dominant hand. Many right-handed gymnasts are left-footed, and vice versa. However, for some reason, some gymnasts will naturally perform one skill on the opposite leg. It's very bizarre, but I don't think it's any kind of "programming" or "conditioning" per se. I think it's just the way we are.

Edited to add: It's not just their legs that makes the difference-- that's just how we word it because that would be the leg you would start a skill off with or have in the front while doing the skill. Anyway, it's the entire action moving in a certain direction that determines what "foot" you are, and a right or left cartwheel as a transition is a perfect example. Try doing right and left cartwheels on the ground, and I guarantee you'll have an easier time doing it the way you find it easier in the sky. It's just a dominant "side".

Kelly