nick.marenakos

Containers

Hey everyone, I'm in the midst of deciding what container to buy as my first. I have my A license and am interested in almost all aspects of the sport of skydiving, I have been recommended Mirage, Infinity, and Vector by my friends at Jumptown in MA. I am currently a college student and don't have lots of money to work with, but as many of us are, I am now addicted to this amazing sport and must get my own rig because renting is just too expensive.

I was hoping you guys could help point me in the right direction of which container to buy, thanks for all the help!

- Nick

I was hoping you guys could help point me in the right direction

Used:

Container appropriate to the canopies you should be jumping.

Harness as close as possible to your size.

Good luck!
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

Most will say that all are good, but the one they chose is the best. Seriously, unless money is of no concern for you, buy used.

Infinity Rocks!
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Container opinions are reserved because all three are good companies with excellent products, great service and friends in the industry. Think of it as apples. Each one good, just your personal preference as to royal red, granny or Arkansas black. Most have jumped many and some have jumped them all. You will be happy with any choice you make.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

When you have more jumps and are looking for your first custom rig, the brand will be more important.

The biggest difference between the rigs you're wanting to choose between is appearance.

I think you're going about this the wrong way. I understand wanting to get just what you want, but the fact is you're probably going to have to settle for the best used rig for your needs.

What you should look for is a container suitable to the size parachutes you will use and a harness that fits.

If you're wanting to decide which rig is "best", use the search feature. It's the age-old "Opinions And Assholes" thing and it's been discussed many times before.

So decide what is important to you in terms of features, size and appearance. If cost is important, use that as a factor as well. Then go out and get the rig that best fits your criteria.

Good luck and have fun!
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

One could argue that you have posed the wrong question. The primary question is: "What type and size canopies?" Note that I didn't say what brand (That is the same "assholes and opinions" as above). However there are specific types and sizes that are clearly suitable, and some that are clearly unsuitable.

Do some searches here and I am confident that you will get more info than you can digest.

Most important is that you be wary of anything we write here. Consult your instructors for some initial guidance.

[GREEN]BUY USED[/GREEN]

Blue Skies!!!
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

I suppose one thing I should have mentioned is I've narrowed it down to the three Mirage, Infinity, and Vector. Would people mind expressing their opinions on the three containers? Thanks

I prefer Infinity over Vector. I don't like the pop top reserves. Too many riggers do not know how to pack those correctly and material seeps out. I like Infinitys riser covers that does not allow the toggles to creep out if correcty packed, unlike Vectors. Don't know the specifics of these on the Mirage.

I prefer Infinity over Vector. I don't like the pop top reserves. Too many riggers do not know how to pack those correctly and material seeps out. I like Infinitys riser covers that does not allow the toggles to creep out if correcty packed, unlike Vectors. Don't know the specifics of these on the Mirage.

Vector has pop-top?? I thought javelin and wings were pop-top (where reserve pilot chute sits on top only held down by two flaps), vector has its reserve pilot chute hidden under many flaps.

I also don't understand how could toggles creep out from vector. Secondary riser covers cover toggles completely and I honestly don't see how they could just creep out (no matter how the airflow is going around the container).

Just pick the container you like the most (beauty-wise). They are all good containers, all are safe, freefly friendly, good build.
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense. -David Thorne

Vector has pop-top?? I thought javelin and wings were pop-top (where reserve pilot chute sits on top only held down by two flaps), vector has its reserve pilot chute hidden under many flaps.

I also don't understand how could toggles creep out from vector. Secondary riser covers cover toggles completely and I honestly don't see how they could just creep out (no matter how the airflow is going around the container).

Just pick the container you like the most (beauty-wise). They are all good containers, all are safe, freefly friendly, good build.

Theoretically the "pop-top" containers are the Reflex and the Racer. The Wings and Javelin are "partially enclosed" poptops.

I do agree with you on the riser protection on the Vector. She may be thinking of the Javelin, which does in fact allow for part of the riser to be visible (if packed sloppy :)

Theoretically the "pop-top" containers are the Reflex and the Racer. The Wings and Javelin are "partially enclosed" poptops.

I do agree with you on the riser protection on the Vector. She may be thinking of the Javelin, which does in fact allow for part of the riser to be visible (if packed sloppy :)

Whoops, think I may have confused the rigs but you get the gist.

I would highly suggest getting a container that has the "sky hook" system. Vector 3, and Javelins are the ones that come to mind that have them. I like my Infinity but if I were personally in the market for a new container the "sky hook" would be a my first requirement and right now Infinities do not have a option for the "sky hook"
Kirk
He's dead Jim

Aerodyne Icons also have the Skyhook as an option.

If I was looking for a brand new rig, I'd be buying a something with a Skyhook too (in fact I did, a Vector 3) but I wouldn't buy new for a 1st rig unless I was made of money.

Nick, you really should go try on a Racer. If you are up at Jumptown in Orange, go fine Keith LaRiviere, or ask someone else up there to try on their rig. Its a better performer and safer than anything that needs the skyhook. Im a new jumper and just picked up a used racer on the advice of a rigger and absolutly love it! Like nothings there!

Nick, you really should go try on a Racer. If you are up at Jumptown in Orange, go fine Keith LaRiviere, or ask someone else up there to try on their rig. Its a better performer and safer than anything that needs the skyhook. Im a new jumper and just picked up a used racer on the advice of a rigger and absolutly love it! Like nothings there!

Here we go again... :D[:/]
"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

I suppose one thing I should have mentioned is I've narrowed it down to the three Mirage, Infinity, and Vector. Would people mind expressing their opinions on the three containers? Thanks

If I had to choose; I'd get a Micron. I own a Mirage G4, and it's so similar to a Micron, except that the laterals on the G4 are sowed onto the hip rings instead of the MLW. This causes the G4 to lift off the back considerably when in a sit position. Although, I think the G3 does have the laterals sowed onto MLW.

Whoops, think I may have confused the rigs but you get the gist.

Tetra, you really should be more careful about your comments.

You often have good sensible advice but when you make a statement about one rig, when you meant another and then reply with 'Whoops.......you get the gist', it really takes away from anything you say in the future.

Bad form.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

If I had to choose; I'd get a Micron. I own a Mirage G4, and it's so similar to a Micron, except that the laterals on the G4 are sowed onto the hip rings instead of the MLW. This causes the G4 to lift off the back considerably when in a sit position. Although, I think the G3 does have the laterals sowed onto MLW.

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
the lateral to MLW junction has an articulation ring if you choose the Unisyn harness (articulated at at top and bottom). The bottom only articulation places the ring below the lateral/MLW junction (identical to the Vector), and choosing no articulation obviously leaves the lateral sewn in the the MLW as well

in a very un-dropzone-like tradition I will back my statement with facts by attaching pictures. Both containers are G4.1

Nick, you really should go try on a Racer. If you are up at Jumptown in Orange, go fine Keith LaRiviere, or ask someone else up there to try on their rig. Its a better performer and safer than anything that needs the skyhook. I am a new jumper and just picked up a used racer on the advice of a rigger and absolutly love it! Like nothings there!

I made the ridiculous part of your post bold.

Seriously ? So you are a new jumper but you feel that a certain brand/type is the best based on a recommendation from someone ? Can you give some data to back that up ? Can you back up the safety record that you claimed on the containers behalf ?

Just to further nitpick - you say it's "Like nothings there!" - have you tried most other widely available containers that were made for a person of your size ? If not, then your statement is (in a very solid dz.com tradition) is absolutely useless.

Last three weeks I jumped :

Racer
Javelin
Javelin Odyssey
Atom Classic
Wings
Icon
Infinity

And I found them all to be a nice fit. More data for you...