Kennedy

ME, ME, ME, ME, ME !!! (not you)

Riddle me this: why do so many skydivers seem to feel the need to put themselves into exclusive groups? What makes us think we are better because we are something someone else is not?

First it's that all non jumpers are whuffos. Then it's freaks of flat flyers are dumb. Then it's jump numbers. Then it's ratings or competitions or records. Then it's little cliques and groups. Then it's exclusive clubs.

Are skydivers so weak that many of us need to define ourselves by who we are not, and who we don't think is like us?

Just look at people's sig lines. Now we need to be special/different/ better than other online forum posters?

That's it. From now on, I'm in the most exclusive club around. It's called the "ME" club. That's right. I'm so damn special that I make up my own group entity. It's called an individual. I make the rules. And I am the only member, because I am ME.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Just look at people's sig lines. Now we need to be special/different/ better than other online forum posters?

Hey, if you really wanna join the JP fan club...go ahead. :D

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Well, OK, but only in the interest of insuring I get into your bed. >:(

What, you need insurance to get into my bed?...:)...That sounds kinda kinky...B|...

~R+R>:(...I'll bring my cuffs...and collar...
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Fly the friendly skies...^_^...})ii({...^_~...

Okay.. first of all.. thats not a trait specific to skydivers. Where were you in high school? College? Its all about joining clubs and forming cliques.

The only number I hold is a RB#.. and thats only cause I'm a sucker for letting guys lick tequila off my belly... and I look hot in a sombrero.. hhaha :ph34r:

But to answer your question, yes.. we are better than everyone else.. ;)
(I'm kidding.. again!)

I'm a sucker for letting guys lick tequila off my belly.

mmmm... the salt if place rightis nice too.......

as for me and "clicks" well i'm in one to.......it's sorta like the 12 step programs you hear about... but it's the 12 steps to personal liberation.... i'll tell ya all about it at a boogie as long as i remebr my step card... it really is fun............hehehehehe...

p.s. it is even better if we can get severalladies to join..... you will understand all when you have been run through the steps.....

p.p.s. to anybody my 12 steps is nothing like you probly think........ it's ah.. how shal i say...... NSFW.... hehehehehe

Riddle me this: why do so many skydivers seem to feel the need to put themselves into exclusive groups? What makes us think we are better because we are something someone else is not?

First it's that all non jumpers are whuffos. Then it's freaks of flat flyers are dumb. Then it's jump numbers. Then it's ratings or competitions or records. Then it's little cliques and groups. Then it's exclusive clubs..

Many reasons, but low self concept is a big one. The tendency to align with a group and exclude others is easier and more comfortable than including everyone and finding out who you are and what you are capable of.

Michael

Well, I have yet to see or experience what you are referring to in skydiving. In fact, so far it's been quite the opposite. However, I've spent years in the automotive enthusiast hobby and I know the syndrome you are referring to. Usually it's the battle of the marquees (Ford vs. Chevy, etc) or whatever second bracket your car runs in and so on. However, isn't the point that you're just in a group of enthusiasts who all enjoy the same thing what matters? Being involved in something such as skydiving, cars, racing, or whatever it may be simply should be viewed as giving you a common ground with a large body of others who enjoy the same thing. It's something that gives people a unique and instant camaraderie, and it should be taken advantage of to make new friends, to help others progress if possible, and to get along with people... who perhaps... you may not normally talk to in every day life.

Just my two cents...

--
StangFlyer

First it's that all non jumpers are whuffos.

Many would see the term non jumper as a pejorative one indicating something is lacking or missing. That might be the first indication of our feeling of exclusivity.

But on another note, I actually graduated from the University of ME and I was the Dean, President, senior instructor and mascot. Got to go, tonight's the Prom and I have to find a date that's worthy.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

What, you need insurance to get into my bed?...:)...That sounds kinda kinky...B|...

Just home owners insurance or renters insurance - broken beds are pretty expensive. and pulled up carpet is a bitch to replace.:P
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Are skydivers so weak that many of us need to define ourselves by who we are not, and who we don't think is like us?

hi kennedy, you have Great Questions and Views -- very thought provoking :)
i personally wouldn't view it as 'weak'... it's simply human nature. it's very natural for people to either be a leader, a follower, independent, etc. B|

some clubs/orgs/groups exclude certain individuals, and it doesn't make it wrong -- it's just what makes us all different. some groups have a positive or negative motive - to each his own.

nope, not better or special -- yes different, which depicts our personalities :)
thank you for the post. i like it!

~ meL* Pink Mafia / Tunnel Mafia Sister

nope, not better or special -- yes different, which depicts our personalities :)

Hmmm then what does my sig say about me:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Just home owners insurance or renters insurance - broken beds are pretty expensive. and pulled up carpet is a bitch to replace.:P

I'll keep that in mind...::ponders::..."pulled up carpet"...I've never done that one before...:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:...

~R+R>:(...

I have to agree with ChaosKitty that it is more of a human condition than that of skydivers specifically.

Since my layoff from the sport, amogst friends and family I don't let them call me 'Matt the skydiver' anymore (especially since I haven't jumped in 18 months). It got me to thinking, how dumb is it to define oneself by the sport or hobby that they are involved with, seriously.

I would rather be known as a dedicated spouse, trusted friend, close relative and a person with character, morals and who is kind to everyone who crosses my path FIRST. If I can be all that AND a skydiver, so be it.

At least, that's the person I'm trying to be.

Matt
A well-informed person is somebody who has the same views and opinions as yours.

Wow, who shit in your Wheaties, junior? :o

You're just mad that you don't get invited on all the nekkid chick jumps...:D:D:D

People in groups with similar interests is not a bad thing, kid...unless it is a hate group. I don't expect you'd have any want, need, or desire to join my kids' school's PTA, but I would...does that mean being on a PTA is bad because it's a 'group'?

Relax, Mr. Unpopular. Someday you might be nearly as cool as me. B|;):ph34r:
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Back off there Carrot Breath!

Kennedy is sensitive and fragile - don't spout off inulting sarcasm at him. He really is MUCH too fragile.:P
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Back off there Carrot Breath!

Kennedy is sensitive and fragile - don't spout off inulting sarcasm at him. He really is MUCH too fragile.:P

Actually, he is quite opposite from fragile...B|...I know from experience...:$...

~R+R:)...I'll shut up now...:P...