dcvet

Cat's life span...

my parents cat is like 14... I imagine she'll be around a while longer. assuming my dad doesn't kill her.

She's deaf, doesn't seem to know how to use the litter box anymore...:S

Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I've had cats live 20ish (we weren't sure how old Penny was when we got her, so don't know exactly...), Tron lived 17 years, and BK lived close to 19 (if not 19).

Indoor cats, with proper care (vet and food), and healthy genes (no inbreeding, good line, and so forth) can live 20+ years.

If you're worried about her, take her in to a vet for a check-up, get some seriously good food, and make sure she stays inside.

Outdoor/outdoor-indoor cats tend to live less than 1/2 the lifespan of a purely indoor cat. They face all sorts of dilemmas, from dodging cars to parasitic illness/death. Further, female unspayed cats tend to live about 7 years, as having several litters a year saps their strength, and creates additional problems.

[rant]Please spay and neuter your pets. I recently took a litter of 7 5 week old foster kittens in from a lady who found them in her yard, but couldn't care for them. After litterboxing them and making sure they were on solid foods and socialized, all were placed in healthy, happy homes. I am now caring for Simon, an infant when I got him (3 1/2 weeks) who needed to be bottle fed. He's coming along, and, at 5 weeks now, he's doing as well as can be expected. It appears his mother was killed somehow, and the fate of any litter mates is unknown. So please care for your pets; spay and neuter. [/rant]

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Michele! Why doesn't that surprise me! How many cats live with you now?

As for lifespan, my Leaha is 15 and shows no signs of slowing down. She was outside a bit when younger, but stays in now. I fully expect she'll be waking me up at 5 in the morning by sticking her whiskers in my ear for many more years.:)

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein

Michele! Why doesn't that surprise me! How many cats live with you now?

At one point about a week and a half ago, with the foster litter and Simon, I had 13 cats here. I didn't want to be here, and it was great incentive to getting the litter handled so that they could be placed. Phew...that was a large litter!

Until Simon is placeable, I have 5, but as Pengy still lives under the bed, it's more like 4. She demands nothing, and is fully litter-boxed and will wander around once the house has gone to bed. Pie has adopted Simon, so lots of his care has been taken over by her...and since he's been weaned (thank GOD!) I haven't had to worry about bottle feeding him...he's on kitten food, and doing well. Now, just to get him to a decent weight....he's still just a pound, and he should be close to 1.75 pounds.

Here are a few pix of Simon...

Ciels-
Michele

The oldest cat, I believe, lived to be around 28 years old. I thought I heard 33 at one point too. It also depends on what you are talking about. If you mean an outdoor kitty, the average lifespan in 1.5 years. (*true fact*) An indoor kitty averages 14-22 years.

I know a cat that lived to 21. His name was Tishka, a short haired Russian Blue.

I know an Abysinian aged 13 at present - who's going through "dying fits." His owner comes across him, sprawled somewhere, cold and stiff as a board. When she freaks out - he "wakes up."

Manx cats die younger I think. Short hairs live longer than long hairs. I'd say "normal" would be 12 - 16. Anything over 16 is a gift, and probably indicates a very loved cat.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

My parents had a pursian that lived to 22 years old. It had to be the grouchiest animal ever. It liked nobody untill its last 3 years when it was too old to be mean. That cat beat cancer 5 times through 5 surgeries. In the end we put it to sleep when it wouldnt get up one day. The vet was always amazed at that animal. Why is it the mean ones that defy age limits? I have 2 now that are great, I hope they live as long as the evil "Puss" as we named him.
Oz

haha!!! noone caought that you said bite the bucket:)

stupid dave:) nothing can bite the bucket.... its either bite the dust or kick the bucket! go figure, right?

anyways, if your cat is almost as cool as mine, she'll stick around for a few more years. maybe you could consider a cat door for your house, but watch out for the opossums!

next time make sure you get a boy cat. they are much sweeter!

My parents had a pursian that lived to 22 years old. It had to be the grouchiest animal ever. It liked nobody untill its last 3 years when it was too old to be mean. That cat beat cancer 5 times through 5 surgeries. In the end we put it to sleep when it wouldnt get up one day. The vet was always amazed at that animal. Why is it the mean ones that defy age limits? I have 2 now that are great, I hope they live as long as the evil "Puss" as we named him.

Bwahahaha....my persian is Memnock the Devil Kitty. Hates Derek and the dog, and only tolerates me when I'm petting him. He turned 4 on June 1st.
Fly it like you stole it!

I am now caring for Simon, an infant when I got him (3 1/2 weeks) who needed to be bottle fed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I thought 'Project Simon' was a kitty!! He's CUTE!!! I dont' think he'll want to leave you cause you bottle fed him. I have a 16 y/o male human I'd like to leave in your yard :ph34r:.

I have two cats Jesusa who is over 16 (my sister already had her when Bryant (aforementioned kid) was born). She pretends not to be able to get up in the litter box but she can straddle the toilet for a drink *yuck* and drag birds thru my windows for fights to the death.

I had a cat Ziljiaan who was about 18 when some jerk in the building put poison down and he ate a poisoned mouse >:(. He was happy as a kitty-boy up till then.

I have Mr6 who's is only about 2 y/o but thats my baby (translation~~he's a WUSS). Good luck with Simon~~April

Camelot II, the Electric Boogaloo!

I have a 16 y/o male human I'd like to leave in your yard .

LOL, uh, no, sorry....16 y/o humans are on their own.

Simon is now experiencing the wonderful world of kibble. He's been chewing everything, and is ready to have crunchy and not just soft food. Problem is, he doesn't quite know what to do with it...so I have to crush it up and mix it into the wet food...and then sit with him and encourage him to chew. LOLOL...

OH My goodness what a precious little baby!!!

Shananay, yes he is that. Except at 4 in the morning, when he decides to chew on my nose. That is the pressing issue behind him learning to eat kibble. LOLOL!

Ciels-
Michele

He's just beautiful! Will you keep him?

I just don't know yet. Sure, I'm completely in love with him...but I don't know. I've got someone who wants him desperately and will be a phenomenal kitty slave, so that level is taken care of. There are some medical issues which haven't yet resolved because he is so small and underweight still, so I'm not considering placing him for a bit in any event. But the longer he stays here, the harder it will be to let him go....sigh. I will say that Pie, my 1 year old, has adopted Simon. She plays, disciplines, grooms, protects, and loves him, and that was unexpected (I didn't know she had any maternal instinct whatsoever...), and that's a complication...

Tigra, I just don't know.

Sigh....he really is a sweetheart besides being cute.

Ciels-
Michele

Hi DC,
Fartsarelli was at least 17 when he died of old age. I now have Fuzzy who is 15 and going strong. Anglefood McSpade is 10, Lucky is 5 and Jethro is 3.
Cats cats live quite a while if they are cared for. Sounds like your kitty will be with you for a good while.
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Ok, my bitch cat from hell is like 19-20 years old. Shes been around sooooo long, weve forgotton how long. Shes old, shes crabby, and she whines a lot. :D
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865