Acensky

Maid Of Honor Dilemma

I am the Maid of Honor for my friends wedding this weekend. the shower is Sat at noon, well so is the airshow. I have made plans to be at the airshow long before I know when she was going to get married( the day had changed so many times :S) Now the Bride is upset at me for not wanting to go the the shower. She has not told me any of the details, like rehearsal dinner, time to be there, what my hair should look like, and important thing like that.

I just want to see that the other Dz.commer would do.

I have already made up my mind to go to the air show.

Garbage bags do not make good parachutes.

Yeah, we were room mates last year in college and we have been friends for about 2 years before that. now we have an house togther. She is getting Married to a Army boy who has been in Iraq for a year and is home for 30 days. he goes back to Germany on the 17th or 18th. I'd say cutting the day a little close , so no honeymoon for these two.

pretty inconsiderate of her to expect you to be at her beck and call. if she had told you in advance when the shower was, and you said you would be there, that's one thing. since you already made plans (and posssibly other commitments) to be at the airshow, then go to the airshow.

i'm no expert at weddings (well, the chick side of it anyway), but isn't it up to the maid of honour to schedule the shower?[unsure]
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

i'm no expert at weddings (well, the chick side of it anyway), but isn't it up to the maid of honour to schedule the shower?[unsure]

yes it is, but like I said they have changed the date of it so many times I just gave up trying to find a time that would work for her. I told her that if she wants one, have her sister plan it. I still don't really know if her sister or me is the Maid of honour. Showers are just ways to get more crap that you don't really need.

No, its the maid of honor's responsibility to schedule *a* shower.. unless the bride decides she doesnt need another one. Its also the responsibility of anyone who hostesses a shower who is not the maid of honor or a bridesmaid to include the maid of honor and bridesmaids in the activities of the shower.
The bachelorette party is the MOH's main responsibility though.

This wedding crap is too much stress.

This wedding crap is too much stress.

i know what you mean. first marriage, the whole church thing. second marriage, city hall. third marriage,.... if you hear of me having a third marriage, shoot me.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

Two weeks? Damn, I've been to three weddings this summer, and we were given notice months in advance. Granted, some people were coming from overseas .... but even my other friend who's getting married this week had it planned months in advance....

but then again two weeks makes for a lot less stress, which is cool . ....

me, i'm having a shotgun wedding in vegas ....
This ad space for sale.

I'm glad I'm a guy. My wedding "shower" will most likely consist of my buddies and I getting drunk and going to a tit bar. We might even go skydiving earlier in the day.

Eitherway, the next morning's wedding "shower" brunch will consist of hangover cures and some good laughs.B|:P
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I really have a hard time believing that this would even be an issue. Do you really call yourself a "friend"? You would rather go to an airshow than be with your friend on a day that she'll only have once. (not like there are going to be any more airshows ever again)

As far as the dates changing alot, maybe your could take into consideration that this wedding is taking place on a military leave, which aren't excatly set in stone ya know. Is it quite possible that getting married is a very stressful thing that is overloading her, and maybe she needs help with the planning?

All things being equal, I still have to say that if you go to the airshow instead, your quite a pathetic friend. With that attitude, its no wonder she's ignoring you. How selfish to even call it a dilemma, or to even have to ask.:S

Hey, you wanted to know.

I know this isnt the fun answer.. but if you accepted when she asked you to be her maid of honor, you accepted a buttload of responsibilities.
There will be other airshows.. be there for your friend and go to the shower.

That's what I'd say too. They aren't even going to have time for a honeymoon; can't you make an exception to help make one of the few days she'll be back enjoyable?

When my husband and I were engaged, our dates changed several times for our wedding and showers too...we were both military, and it's just so damn inconvenient to have a war in the middle of your freaking wedding! >:(

Ease up on her and do something selfless. :|
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

I'm glad I'm a guy. My wedding "shower" will most likely consist of my buddies and I getting drunk and going to a tit bar. We might even go skydiving earlier in the day.

Eitherway, the next morning's wedding "shower" brunch will consist of hangover cures and some good laughs.B|:P

IMHO there should be some skydiving involved in the second part too.... Well, after the hangover...
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

My "dream wedding" is to find a pretty spot on a beach somewhere and give my friends and family 2 weeks notice of where to be and when so they can get a good deal on a plane ticket. Then a party and bonfire on the beach.

two of my best friends got married this way...blue jeans and bathing suits required. we had to buy jeans for the groom's father on the way there...about 20 in the wedding in the late afternoon...nearly 200 around the bonfire, in the surf under the moon lit sky... they are one of the few college couples still together. Rituals are as important as you make them...

I can't believe this is even a question. An airshow is what you want to go to instead of your friend's shower? It's just a bunch of planes! This is a momentous occasion in your friend's life! :S The showers are all part of the whole wedding hoopla. You are part of the wedding party. You belong at the shower. Going to the airshow would be an extremely selfish act.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I have to agree with Andrea (damm!).

If this person is important enough for you to be her maid of honnor, then you should go. I'm not a big wedding guy myself, but if a buddy asks me to be the best man, I'd take care of him.

I also have to agree here. If you're the MOH, you're the "right hand woman", so you should be there. As much as I love airshows, this is the right thing to do.

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

Agreed. The shower. Although I'm curious about what you mean, you aren't sure about who the Maid of Honour really is. Are you or aren't you? It's a fairly important detail.

Regardless of that, even if you were just a guest with no responsibility, go to the shower. Friends are friends. I lost a very good friend over her attitude about my wedding when she made it clear her priorities didn't include something so important to me.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein