stitch

Shayna Richardson strikes again

Just when you thought she went away.

She is now on a show on National Geographic channel called "I fell from the sky". :|
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

In spite of the sensationalism of the narrator making her out to be the victim, you gotta give her some small dose of credit for admitting that she gave up, closed her eyes, let go of everything and just waited for the crash.

To bad it was just a brief glimpse and buried under all the "blame everybody else" tripe.

What I'm having trouble understanding is that the "video" showed, at one time, a well-flying main and then showed a main with a line-over or extremely severe tension knots on one side. How did THAT happen? Lousy editing? Editorial license? Re-enacted drama?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Is that the one where they showed the mechanics of her impacting the parking lot and why she survived? I saw one like that several months ago. I think it's the same one you saw just now.

It was interesting in that context, but she is way out of line in blaming others for her fuck-up. :S

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Is that the one where they showed the mechanics of her impacting the parking lot and why she survived? I saw one like that several months ago. I think it's the same one you saw just now.

It was interesting in that context, but she is way out of line in blaming others for her fuck-up. :S

Yes, it sounds like the same one.

What I can't believe is that she is still managing to milk this incident to networks so many years after it happened. I would say if it needed to be on any show, the it should be Mythbusters. That way they could remove all of the wuffo bias, that has played her as a victim for so long.
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

What I can't believe is that she is still managing to milk this incident to networks so many years after it happened.

Well... in part, because folks want to hear about it... whuffos, so they can oooh, ahhh and wow that's she's alive and then say look how silly it is to jump out of a perfectly good airplane, look what can happen!... us, so we can enjoy another round of Shayna-Bashing on dropzone.com.

:D:D:D:D:D

Well... in part, because folks want to hear about it... whuffos, so they can oooh, ahhh and wow that's she's alive and then say look how silly it is to jump out of a perfectly good airplane, look what can happen!... us, so we can enjoy another round of Shayna-Bashing on dropzone.com.

:D:D:D:D:D

well i don't much care to bash ANYone...
BUT i DO like the idea of the petrified " Ground Bound " out there,
staying the hell AWAY from the dropzone...
makes it easier for myself and my friends to get on a load...;);)

j t

>What I can't believe is that she is still managing to milk this incident
>to networks so many years after it happened.

Why not? Even skydivers are fascinated by her; look at the hundreds of posts here about her. I guarantee you that if, tomorrow, there was a Shayna Richardson special on 20/20, a heck of a lot of skydivers would watch it (if for no other reason than to go off on her in a thread the next day.) TV stations like to play material that a lot of people watch, because their ad revenues go up.

>What I can't believe is that she is still managing to milk this incident
>to networks so many years after it happened.

Why not? Even skydivers are fascinated by her; look at the hundreds of posts here about her. I guarantee you that if, tomorrow, there was a Shayna Richardson special on 20/20, a heck of a lot of skydivers would watch it (if for no other reason than to go off on her in a thread the next day.) TV stations like to play material that a lot of people watch, because their ad revenues go up.

Oh! OH! OOOOHH!!!

Maybe Sangrio could sell premium add space on Shayna Richardson threads!!!

:D:D:D:D

whuffo sensationalism... just watched a clip on Discovery's "shocking survival videos" - where the intro to footage of a CRW wrap was described as "guaranteed to put you off parachuting for life" ... (funnily enough, the horror car wreck later on was not described as "guaranteed to put you off driving for life")
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

Shayna Richardson strikes again

This probably would have never been brought to light had you not posted about it. Who struck what again now?

Has anyone here taken the time to even have a personal conversation with Shayna? Maybe you should. I can't understand how this raises such a row when in the last 24 hours i've seen another Sky Diver on T.V. who's PC was pulled out of his BOC when he got into the door for exit causing a head/tail strike causing massive head trauma, about a 15 minute long clip. I also saw the infamous bungee jump with the two sky clowns bailing out of an otter with a bungee cord tied to each other. They exited with a videographer in trail, and how the jump went way wrong for the bottom jumper. (Damned near killed the bottom jumper) That's about a dozen times i've seen that footage. Notice, i mentioned no names.

If you feel compelled, or obligated to post about such incidents, why don't you it a try? Not mentioning names that is. :)
This post strikes me as a PA. Just my $0.02 USD.

Specific Forum Policies

No Personal attacks, Flaming and Trolling.
Personal attacks and hate posts will not be tolerated in any forum. Personal attacks on another user are a great way to earn some time off, as is posting inflammatory material specifically to provoke a negative response from someone (aka trolling). If you are unclear about what a 'troll' is, a description can be found here.

Stright from the "Man with the plan"
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

in the last 24 hours i've seen another Sky Diver on T.V. who's PC was pulled out of his BOC when he got into the door for exit causing a head/tail strike causing massive head trauma, about a 15 minute long clip.

I watched that piece on the guy above as well and I found it totally irritating because of the same concerns as other incidents. That is, there seems to be an overall absence of confessions regarding responsibility for these incidents in many cases.

In the one cited above, I listened purposely - very carefully - to every word he said - and all he would say (on 2 occasions) about the incident is,

"When I stepped out of the plane, the relative wind withdrew my pilot chute from it's pouch"

Saying it twice, it communicates to the general public that the wind did it, and not the jumper.

There was no suggestion on his part that he f'd up his pack job, or didn't do a pin check, or any of the standard safety procedures that could make such an event so very avoidable.

This is very bad mojo because anything that falsely increases the public's perception that the sport is dangerous beyond our control (such as villainous wind above) increases the chances of unwanted government regulation at some point down the road.

It's not a trivial matter when these very high profile shows present people that do not own up to the fact that they screwed up -

"The helicopter approaches closer than any other to fulfillment
of mankind's ancient dreams of a magic carpet" - Igor Sikorsky

It's not a trivial matter when these very high profile shows present people that do not own up to the fact that they screwed up -

May i suggest that if you know something that's being reported that isn't true, why would you come into these forums to whine about it? My suggestion to you would be to contact the entity that is airing the show with any new facts that you may have that makes their reporting inaccurate. Ultimately, it would be their responseability to correct any false statements, facts, etc...

May i take the liberty to suggest that you seek medical treatment? If you get this wound up about an issue like this, i'd hate to see you react under REAL pressure.

Lighten up bro. Everythings cool, for real. :)
Let's not lose sight of the possibility of unintentionally commiting acts of liabalous, and slander. Then there's always a slight possibility of your inflamatory post could be nothing more than a personal attack. I posted H.H.'s rules, did you not read them? I know i have to follow them, shouldn't you as well? Or are these rules non applicable to you? From reading the rules, that's not the impression i get, it would seem that the rules apply to everyone, including you.

For real, chill out. Everything's cool. You've made your point, now leave it alone. :)
"You can't beat a dead horse" ;)
-Richard-

I'm not sure where you are coming from with your strange comments, let alone the fact that you took opportunity to go on a tirade of slanderous comments unprovoked, towards me, advising me - not to slander people :P

My only concern is for how the sport is being portrayed. Are the facts being reported in such a way where the public is given a fair assessment of whether an incident or a death was preventable, or not? Was there training available or given to address such situations, or...

...are we ALL a bunch of wreckless, out of control idiots who, if not for mandatory government intervention, are surely set on killing ourselves and any other innocent party we happen to crash into on the ground?

The public does not understand what we do, why we do it, or what the risks involved are because they are oft not given the truth about why something really happened.

I'd highly recommend that you put your feelings aside about Richardson and look to the larger picture about preserving the sport.

"The helicopter approaches closer than any other to fulfillment
of mankind's ancient dreams of a magic carpet" - Igor Sikorsky

My reply to you was courteous, and suggestive. I called no names, i made no slanderous attacks.

As for the sport, you don't even want to know what all i've seen on the DZ. Ever pull off of a load because of someone you knew just put one out? Have you ever seen a TM-1 throw up on the way to altitude because of a really bad hang over, still UTI and was so jacked up he couldn't make the dive?

...are we ALL a bunch of wreckless, out of control idiots who, if not for mandatory government intervention, are surely set on killing ourselves and any other innocent party we happen to crash into on the ground?

Not all of us, but at least 1/4% from everything i've seen.

The public does not understand what we do, why we do it, or what the risks involved are because they are oft not given the truth about why something really happened.

The incident reporting does not even get close to the Real Truth 95% of the time. I think we all know, and accept that. I know i turn a "Blind Eye" to a lot of things. Hell, everybody does. Have you ever been in an aircraft flying hot loads while they were refueling? I have, when i seen what was going on i got the hell out of there until they were through refueling. Have you ever seen an ex military personal replace a starter on a Twin Otter that wasn't an A&P? I have. I could go on and on, but i won't.
-Richard-

Who cares any more..

Let it be, after all we can read between the lines and see the real issues. While those who do not then they can and do believe EVERTHING.....

Just my outtake on this whole issue,,,,
thanks,
Kenneth Potter
FAA Senior Parachute Rigger
Tactical Delivery Instructor (Jeddah, KSA)
FFL Gunsmith

As for the sport, you don't even want to know what all i've seen on the DZ. Ever pull off of a load because of someone you knew just put one out? Have you ever seen a TM-1 throw up on the way to altitude because of a really bad hang over, still UTI and was so jacked up he couldn't make the dive?

WOW. you should really find a new dz. I'm on year 13 in this sport and actually have never seen ANY of what you listed.

j
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.