Viking

Martial Arts Practitioners i have a question.

Can you guys please not do this in my thread?

I created this thread to figure out which martial art i want to study. Not for people to have pissing matchs about whos better.

I'm not jumping down anyones throat but please take it outside so to speak. thank you
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

Waking up in the East... and this thread's been moving!

Just don't fight.

That really says it all.

For whatever reason, I can't fight "a little." I have a quick mouth, and often upset those who don't know me well. I'm usually ready to apologise, or take a smack to let the tension disipate if it's someplace I know I'll be backed up if it goes too far. (read: home)

Truth is, most of the fights we get into as new martial artists are through insecurity and/or ego. We're like boy scouts with a new Swiss Army Knife seeing if it really can cut stuff up. After a while the novelty wears off, and we realise it's a tool we can use if and when we need it.

Smile. Breathe. Don't fight. Good advice. I'll follow it.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

lol.. then you went the wrong way about it...i was wondering why you didn’t put this in the corner in the first place.. it's one of the most arguable topics there is under the sun....and in the end it has no answer, no one answer for anyone …

want to know what style to study? Whichever dojo you'll actually go to, consistently, no matter what style it is, or how you feel about training that week..... train where you can, when you can(formally) [I]training never stops, it’s not an activity it is a state of mind[/I], from whatever 'experts' there might be near, convenient enough for you to make it a practice, otherwise the best teacher and subject cant help you....

get bored? Doesn’t feel right after 2 months? change it. move? find another any dojo, any style.... take that which is useful to you and discard the rest..... if your really interested in what 'works' ie "how to defend yourself" ? then welcome to a long road...keep moving..it doesn’t stop..

Best idea is to go to your local schools and see which one you like best. No style is taught the same in different schools.
The styles that seem most suited for self-defence would be,
Mixed martial arts (a bit of everything, depends on the school)
Aikido (take downs, locks)
Wing Chun (strikes, locks)
JuJitsu (locks, take downs, chokes, some strikes, ground work)
If you have a look here you'll find lots of information.
Mev.

Not a threat whatsoever. I'm here to officially challenge you to a controlled 1 on 1 in a dojo/gym with witnesses while being video taped. Waiver papers will be signed and so forth.

We'll fight until one of the four conditions are met...

1. Knockout
2. Tap out
3. Fighter can't defend himself intelligently
4. Disqualification

Disqualification occurs by breaking one of the 3 rules...

1. No biting
2. No eye gouging
3. No fish-hooking

Only 2 forms of protective gear may be used.

1. Cup
2. Mouth guard

A certified instructor will be present to control the spar. So what do you say?

This happens quite a bit. Nothing to be defensive about. When you're down here again PM and I'll set it all up. I'm sure someone on here will host the video.

Afterall, actions speak louder than words.

Forty-two

Disqualification occurs by breaking one of the 3 rules...

1. No biting
2. No eye gouging
3. No fish-hooking

LOL.:D Do you explain these rules to the people who attack you on the street or in a bar? Viking asked about self defense not about controlled sparing.

We get the message. You're quite prepaired to fight anyone as long as they promise not to maim you if you lose or take legal action against you if you win, and drive all the way to your state so as not to inconvenience you. No thanks. I'm skeered Wooo.

I can't type anymore... my hands are shaking too much! :D

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Man, you really want to prove yourself - don't you?

Save your little rules for someone else. This thread was about self defense, not about sparring and following rules. Remember Viking's original question?

"In your opinion which is the most useful style in real life?"

In real life, there are no rules and all of this does happen:

1. biting
2. eye gouging
3. fish-hooking

Dude, no one cares how tough you are. Give it a rest.

I took your original post to mean, "I want to be able to defend myself in real life situations."

Perhaps a definition of "real life" would be good. Posters should recommend a style that was successful in an actual fight that they were in. Tourneys taught me a lot about timing and aggressiveness, they are instructive. Th ultimate goal is self-defense, not trophies.

Bathroom hallway of a bar against 2 guys. Grappling wouldn't have done any good because I didn't want to go to the ground, plus there was two guys. Boxing isn't good against a sharp object. Limited room, so spinning techniques were useless. Solid kicks, knees, and hand techniques worked.

2 on 3 in a parking lot. All kicking techniques were useful. Hand/foot combinations.

Once a committed decision is made, I've never used control/submission techniques. I try to break something immediately.

Viking,

I studied Uechi-Ryu Karate. It's full-contact, close up fighting. Figured if I was going to be fighting, it'd be close up. (Currently dojo searching again. B|)

Best suggestion I can give you is go to different dojo's around your area and see which one you like and what "fits" you. What works for me or Tonto or Nightengale or....may not work for you. Make sure you visit the dojo's while a class is going on and see if they'll let you participate for a class or an "intro" period (usually 3 classes). If you like it and it works for you, study it. If not, find something else.

I would suggest making sure that it's full-contact. If you're always pulling your punch in class in a real fight you'll probably do the same and get your ass handed to you.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Dude - whatever you decide to do or practice - will it help you in either a 2 on 1 or 3 on 1 street situation? It's an age old question I know, but there is still a great divide between the safe sport mentality and the required street survival mindset -
huge difference..........this should be your guiding factor - reality - as it's quick, cold, brutal and is no respecter of persons.

There is nothing saying that you can't take two styles at the same time.

Where I train they offer both Shorin Kung Fu and Brazilian JuiJitsu (Royce Gracie Style). I take both.

Both will be highly useful in an actual fight, Kung Fu is geared around strikes and blocks, while JuiJitsu is geared around submitting people once the fight goes to the ground.

It was mentioned earlier but one of the most important things for this to work regardless of style is consistency. This means going as often as possible. This means that unless you are seriously motiviated that you need to find a place that is close to where you live, otherwise it's too easy to just decide not to go.

Just my two cents.

Bill

Actually, eye-gouging, biting and fish-hooking are rules designed to help out non-grapplers. Allowing those in a real fight have little to no consequence. What many uneducated followers of martial arts do not realize is that allowing those would benifit the grappler that much more.

It's funny to see people bring up the 3 basic rules in NHB fights as a reason why those fights aren't realistic. The more intelligent people know that allowing biting, eye-gouging and fish-hooking makes no difference at all to a grappler.

Forty-two

Great! We'll spar with no rules at all. The 3 rules were for your protection...not mine.

Now would you be willing to fight in a dojo on tape after signing the proper legal waivers under those conditions (no rules)? Surly with your vast experience you could handle someone like me that is so limited in martial arts styles.

Let me know if you change your mind. I would love for all the dz.com posters to see it on tape. Viking would have an easy time deciding what style to take.

Forty-two

gee this thread went down hill.

martial arts is not about fighting it is about confidence, it is about control, its about tradition, its about RESPECT!

yes sparing is fun and what not but when it comes down to it sparing is controlled it is fake basically so to be honest it is not realy . I have kicked guys asses in TKD and then turn around and have mine kicked. Its not the style its the person!
--------------------------------------------------
Fear is not a confession of weakness, it is an oportunity for courage.

gee this thread went down hill.

martial arts is not about fighting it is about confidence, it is about control, its about tradition, its about RESPECT!

yes sparing is fun and what not but when it comes down to it sparing is controlled it is fake basically so to be honest it is not realy . I have kicked guys asses in TKD and then turn around and have mine kicked. Its not the style its the person!

B|B|B|

FWIW, I studied a "sport" version of Aikido to a high level (called shodokan, decended from tomiki for those in the know) and i agree with the statement that any of the more "traditional" styles are a little too stylised to be of any real use, however the principles that are common to a lot and things such as timing and rhythm are very useful in all sorts of ways.

Incidentally, i also trained in Capoeira for a couple of years and if you want something really FUN - and fairly spectacular....B|
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Listen up everyone:

tunaplanet is the toughest guy on dropzone.com and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is the only martial art worth studying.

Are you happy now? Feel good about yourself yet?

Maybe this will help:

I am not a good fighter and I am the worst fighter on dropzone.com. I suck. Old ladies can beat me up.

Feeling good yet?

So now that we've drifted from the original purpose of this thread - to give suggestions and explain why our prefered martial arts is the one we'd suggest - and gone on to grade school antics of "I can beat you up...," can we get back on track and help Viking (and maybe others who are looking to get into another form of martial arts) with some valid suggestions as to styles, etc?
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

No way, you can totally kick my ass...

If both asses are nice, I'd like to see pictures, so I can judge which one would be more fun to kick :ph34r:. Very softly :)

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

No way, you can totally kick my ass...

If both asses are nice, I'd like to see pictures, so I can judge which one would be more fun to kick :ph34r:. Very softly :)

Wendy W.

I second the request. :)