BPilk

1st line twist to give me whip-lash!

I experienced my first bag-lock last weekend, woohoo, what an experience.

I did a hop-n-pop, exit was 5K and i pulled stable at 3.5K. My opening was instant, and my head was thrust forward with a line twist just in the risers to the base of my neck. I reached back to my neck to get my hands on the risers and try to kick out. Well, i pulled and my Z1 went flying off, and yes, it was buckled, or clipped beneath my chin. Once my helmet and sunglasses took flight on their own, i easily got out of the twist. I then unstowed my toggles, but my left one would not come down, so i look and saw my slider over it, thus fixin the problem.

I landed safely, but for the first time since jumping i almost chopped it; just because i was unsure if i would be able to get out of the line twist.

After a 2-hour search in the woods for my wife, son, and myself, we were unable to locate my $300 Z1, but my wife did find my $10 sunglasses, what a relief.:D

In all seriousness, it was a learning experience, and yes i packed it, so i will be more carefull when putting my d-bag in my container just before closing it the next time.

Brad
"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."

Well i explained it to my a good friend, who has been jumping for years, and he's a rigger, and he asked me if any rubber bands were broken, and i said yes, one. He replied then that it had to have been a bag-lock!

I have had line-twist before, but this one was only twisted 3 times, and mainly in the risers. I don't know, but it was a first to have my head pushed down from the force of it!

What you had was a hard opening with line twist, not a bag lock. A bag lock is a bag that is "locked" closed by a suspension line or a poorly set grommet or something, and no canopy gets out. It is a high speed malfunction, and you must rapidly cut away and open your reserve if you have one.

I think it's just a terminology issue. Your friend likely just used the wrong word.

Ok, thanks for the info. I am not immune to screw up the terminology of the situation. I was just going off of what he said.

It was a first for my to have line twist that almost gave me whip-lash, but hey, i came out ok, and knew my safety procedures, minus the one with my helmet coming off, but its all good.

I appreciate the responses, and will change my theory from bag-lock to a simple line twists. There's no doubt since im a newbee, but it was just a first time thing for me, and i wanted to hear from some of you for advice.

thanks again for the replies.

V/R
Brad

yea, it was a lil loose, but i guess it worked out best fer me...all is well, and a good experience for me to learn from...oh btw, i was fittn <(Alabama slang) to buy a camera and a camera helmet from someone this weekend anyway...so..ill just buy me another full face by next winter, no worries!!

Glad to hear from you Bolas!

;)

Brad

Not to be rude, but...

1 yr in the sport, 257 jumps and a C license - you SHOULD know for yourself the difference, clearly, between a bag-lock and line twists. Or even a hard-opening (bag "strip" or not) and a bag LOCK.

Please people, let's not gloss this over.

BPilk - please... get with your instructors and do whatever you need to, to LEARN this (very basic) stuff! This SCARES ME, that someone with this many jumps, and apparent licensing status - can apparently NOT know it. Seriously. Sorry, but it makes me wonder (and have concern) for your safety participating in this AS IS otherwise, over all.

Again - really - not trying to be rude. Only trying to HELP!

Does anyone else in here reading this feel this way, or is it just me?

Blue Skies,
-Grant
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

I was going to post the exact same thing but did not feel it was my place. Trying to be as nice as possible when i say its laughable and scary at the same time.

You are completely correct and to the OP, i would sit in and listen to an AFF class or two. If you are clueless about mals then i doubt you have the knowledge to deal with an even more serious mal that could involve a camera helmet.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

This could just be a terminology confusion thing.

I'll agree that needs to be corrected to avoid future confusion but I'd rather someone call a bag lock a line twist or vice versa and know what to do versus have a mal, know what it's called, but not know what they need to do to save their life.

Besides, the look on jumpers faces when someone told them they kicked out a baglock would be priceless. ;)

Edited to add: This belongs in Safety and Training, not Incidents.

I'm still trying to figure out why this is in the Incidents forum? :S:S:S

I had a off heading opening on my wingsuit last yesterday, maybe I'll post something about it........:D
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

I had a off heading opening on my wingsuit last yesterday, maybe I'll post something about it........:D

agreed.

i watched my wife drift passed me with 10 to 12 line twists, canopy square, flying straight, kicking like a motherf*cker...she worked it out...no post here.

i watched my wife drift passed me with 10 to 12 line twists, canopy square, flying straight, kicking like a motherf*cker...she worked it out...no post here.

You sure it wasn't a bag lock? Did she have any broken rubberbands? :D
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

You sure it wasn't a bag lock? Did she have any broken rubberbands? :D

and most interestingly, what did she have for breakfast!? ;)
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

yea, it was a lil loose, but i guess it worked out best fer me...all is well, and a good experience for me to learn from...oh btw, i was fittn <(Alabama slang) to buy a camera and a camera helmet from someone this weekend anyway...so..ill just buy me another full face by next winter, no worries!!

Glad to hear from you Bolas!

;)

Brad

I thought you were a 'newbie' as you called yourself? How could you even think about learning to jump camera before knowing what different malfunctions are?

I dont mean this in a nasty way or anything but i always get told my typing comes across nasty.

You might want to get your line twist problem sorted out before you put a camera helmet on.

You have also said in the title that it was the first line twist to give you whiplash, then you say in a post that it NEARLY gave you whiplash. What one is it?

Phreezone, how come you are letting a thread about linetwists stay in the incident forums? When i personally see a new thread int his forum i brace myself to read about someone i might know who has gone in.......... then i read about someone with 200+ jumps who has had their first decent line twist...... or is it baglock?

It makes you wonder what sort of training someone has had to confuse line twists with bag lock no matter what a rigger has gotten lost in translation. Then to hear they are ready to start jumping camera

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

jumpnumbers are not everything, obviously..

what i also dont understand, how could that become lost in translation. he's in the US ARMY, and should speak better english than i do..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

250 jumps in a year means alot. it means they have spent alot of time on a dropzone and are very current. (when it is your first 250 jumps in your first year).

To spend that much time on a dropzone in your first year you will learn alot. Maybe your third year doing 250 jumps is not alot but it is in your first year. You are on constant weather holds, learngin aff etc. All these types of malfunctions SHOULD be VERY FRESH in his mind. He has onyl just learned them C license in first year but does not understand what a bag lock is.... come on. The word bag lock is even self explanatory.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I think the mods should give guidance here. I expected both this thread and the one on horseshoes to be moved to Safety and Training. Incidents has traditionally been for skydiving accidents resulting in some kind of injury. If that's no longer the criterion, what is?