Misslmperfect

going to seattle

ok, my husband won 2 roundtrip plane tickets from a radio station and we've decided to use them to go to seattle. i know absolutely nothing about city so im calling out to all you seattle people! i know there are lots of people on the boards from the area. what are the must see sights and areas? is there anything in the ciity or the surrounding areas that we cant go without seeing?

it will be probably just be a 4 day weekend type visit, and we're up for anything! thanks guys!
Oh Canada, merci pour la livraison!

I am probably one of the more prolific posters on here .. and I am in the Seattle Area..

Sea Kev is here as is AcmeSkydiver....

You gotta do a jump from full altitude at Kapowsin.. Super nice Otter.. great people and one HELL of a view of Mt Rainier only 20 miles to the east of the DZ.

A newbie to Seattle has to go to Pike St Market..
http://www.cityofseattle.net/tour/HistoricDistricts/market/index.htm
and of course you have to go to the Space Needle

http://www.spaceneedle.com/
as well as the Experience Music Project right next door. You can hop on the Monorail from the 1962 World Fair. Down on the Waterfront is the Seattle Aquarium....way cool critters of all shapes and sizes.. Sea Otters and giant Octopi. Oh did I mention its salmon season here.. so there are some YUMMY eats.... all over town.

The Boing Field Museum of Flight is way KEWL.. they have an SR-71... a Concorde...and lots of very cool airplanes from a century of flight.
http://www.museumofflight.org/collections/craftindex.html?list=all&submit=yes

If you are kinda ghoulish you can visit famous gravesites.. Bruce Lee as well as his son Brandon Lee, and Jimi Hendrix.

Sooner is better because by mid Oct the wet season comes in earnest.. be sure to bring umbrellas.. and rain gear. If you REALLLY love the rain.. take a trip over to the Olympic Peninsula to the west.. the Hoh Rain Forest in Olympic National Park AVERAGES about 210" of rain a year and the TREES are HUGE as are the assorted mosses and slugs that are a foot long.:o

I've been to seattle three times and spent my offdays finding as much entertainment as i could. really cool place. obviously you have to check out the space needle. just one of those things.

if you like music (any type), you need to check out the EMP. it's right behind the space needle, and you can lose yourself in there for hours. they have massive exhibits on hendrix, the doors, and have histories of almost every genre of music. i can't really describe it, but it's a really cool place.

seatlles is also close to kayaking and skiing spots. if you've never skiied before, snoqualmie is the closest mountain and is really good for novices. if you're a good skiier, supposedly vancouver has nice slopes ....

there's an indian boat/dinner thing off the coast which is really nice ....

i'll see if i can think of more things that you should see up there .... send me a pm if you have any questions...
This ad space for sale.

Have to agree with everyone else, you must go to the Pike Place Market, fresh seafood, fresh produce, and the flowers are astounding!

Favorite Restaurant is the Brooklyn Seafood, Steak and Oyster House on Second Avenue in downtown Seattle, outstanding food and oysters (if you like them).

The waterfront is always fun and if it's a nice day it's beautiful!

Definitely try to do a jump at Kapowsin, the view is breathtaking! If you want a side trip, there is Mt. St. Helens and the Olympic Pennisula (I think I would pass on viewing the one foot slugs!:D) for gorgeous scenery.

The museum of Flight and the EMP are points of interest.

Enjoy your trip and I hope you get some nice weather while you are here. It can be nice in October!

J

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.

What everyone else said. :)
To maximize your sightseeing time, When traveling in the area by car plan your trip to avoid "rush hr".

The pikes place Mkt, space needle EMP etc are all located in walking distance downtown. If the weather is nice A ferry ride is also available from downtown (car nor need).

If it doesn't rain please don't tell anyone and don't move here. Have a nice visit;)

R.I.P.

What everyone else said. :)
To maximize your sightseeing time, When traveling in the area by car plan your trip to avoid "rush hr".

The pikes place Mkt, space needle EMP etc are all located in walking distance downtown. If the weather is nice A ferry ride is also available from downtown (car nor need).

If it doesn't rain please don't tell anyone and don't move here. Have a nice visit;)

R.I.P.

hehehe - what he said.

If you're a Sci-Fi fan, check out the Paul Allen Science Fiction Museum. It's in the same building as the Experience Music Project, also known as "Son of Blob"...:D

mh

what every one else said but no one has mentioned the old underground streets, they were pretty cool too (yeah so I'm a dork, get over it:P)
AND
the music scene was pretty good when I was there too, but that was 1999;)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

forget seattle.. you know you want to come to salt lake city and see the mormon tabernacle choir.....lol..j/k.... have fun in seattle...... go visit all the sights and make sure to take lots of pictres to show us people thathave never been there!!!!

thanks guys:)
wingi, although utah isnt on the top of my list of places to visit, it very well may be our next living spot (at least temporarily)! will is trying to avoid it..but when the boss man says go to utah, you go to utah:)
unfortunately we only have 2 jumps each, so jumping isnt an option :(. i am gonna try and convince him to do tandems at least. ive got everything else written down that you guys have mentioned. im so excited!

the music scene is a definate must. i plan on spending a night or 2 at least checking out the bands.

my last question is - what are the best spots for hiking/trails? i really want to spend a day doing that! i found this site http://www.localhikes.com/MSA/MSA_7602.asp but i dont know where the best spots are.

thanks again!!
Oh Canada, merci pour la livraison!

You definately want to go to Pioneer Square / Doc Maynard's and do the Underground Tour. The best tourist attraction in Seattle in my opinion. Doing a Seaplane tour is pretty cool and a boat trip up to the San Juan Islands is a beautiful way to spend a day.

To get an idea of more of the locals atmosphere, Fremont is a fun neighborhood to visit as is Capital Hill and Ballard. Lot's of interesting little shops, restaurants and bars and lot's of freaky people to watch. Golden Gardens in Ballard is a fun spot to visit in the evenings. Lot's of different groups of people hang out there at night and build bonfires on the beach. There are always musicians, drum circles and all sorts of other things to see and listen to there and many groups are pretty cool about letting you join in if you are interested in listening to their music, etc.

Seattle is a very cool little city and if you visit soon, you will most likely miss the rainy season the begins about mid October.

Rhonda

Tiger Mountain in Issaquah is a nice day hike spot. It's a pretty easy hike but if you go at the right time, you can watch the paragliders from the top. They are there about every weekend when the weather is nice. The Burt Gilman trail is a nice hiking/biking trail although for hiking, it's pretty urban. Renting Kayaks on Lake Union or in the islands is always fun.

Rhonda

Yeah, what they said to all the suggestions you've gotten so far.

the music scene is a definate must. i plan on spending a night or 2 at least checking out the bands.

Pioneer Square has a number of nightclubs and a variety of music. My wife and I like the Fenix in particular.

my last question is - what are the best spots for hiking/trails? i really want to spend a day doing that! i found this site http://www.localhikes.com/MSA/MSA_7602.asp but i dont know where the best spots are.

That's a great list. The Mt Pilchuck trail is a good one. The Naches Peak Loop Trail wasn't on the list but is a great day hike with easy access and plenty of parking. Take Hwy 410 east from Enumclaw to Chinook Pass and park at the vistors center. Part of the hike is on the Pacific Crest Trail. About 3.5 miles and not very strenuous.

Another short hike is Rattlesnake Ledge (see here too). There's a nice vistors center for the Cedar River Watershed as well, if you're into that sort of thing.

There's also the Tillicum Village cruise on Argosy. You'll get a tour of the Seattle waterfront on the way over, a show and dinner, and there's a trail around Blake Island as well. Agosy's web site mentions 1/2 hour free time after the dinner/show, but when we took it you could stay and take a later boat back to Seattle if you booked an earlier cruise.

Bob

Sea Kev is here as is AcmeSkydiver....

I'm here too........... I'm hurt Amazon!! ;)

If you can get here on a sunny weekend, you won't want to leave. When the sun is out, the weather here is awesome, especially if you can see "the mountain"
If the weather is bad, you can still do the Market, Underground Tour, the Space Needle, EMP...etc like everyone else said. But if the weather is great, try to jump somewhere.... 3 good DZ's in the area. K-pow, Snohomish, or my home at Blue Skies.
Enjoy your Trip!!!
Goggles and Teeth

"You fall like a greased safe!!!"

Lot's of interesting little shops, restaurants and bars and lot's of freaky people to watch.

Yup! Here's one we went to just this past weekend: Coastal Kitchen in Capital Hill. Great brunch spot. Get there early or plan on a little bit of a wait (10- 30 minutes). Another is Julia's in Wallingford. Jai Thai in Fremont is good too, as is Bahn Thai on Roy St (a couple blocks from Seattle Center/EMP/Space Needle).

Bob

Well, I just got moved here yesterday, but Blaine is very pretty, and the border is right outside my door practically. So give me a ring. PM'd my number if you would like to get together.-Caress:)
I've learned.... That being kind is more important than being
right.

Let us know when you plan on being here. If you get a nice day and decide to do tandems at Kapowsin, let me know, maybe I can get out there!

J

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.