somethinelse

What IS the fastest BIRD?

The Peregrine Falcon, definitely. Best estimates are in the low 200s mph in a head down stoop. Some have said 300+ mph, but those are based on visual measurements and geometric calculations.
---------------------------------------------------------------
There is a fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'.
--Dave Barry

The peregrine is the fastest bird on record reaching horizontal cruising speeds of 65-90 kmh ( 40-55 mph) and not exceeding speeds of 105-110 kmh (65-68 mph). When stooping, the peregrine flies at much greater speeds however, varying from 160-440 kmh (99-273 mph)!

That's what this web site had to say. www.extremescience.com/fastinworld.htm

I come in at 241mph
Mark Calland can do 316mph
I guess the "English Calland" would be the fastest animal in the World.;)
From Speednews re 316mph in England:
CALLAND WON IN FRANCE - and did a 508 kph in practice!
UK competitor Mark Calland won the season-opener of the 2004 World Cup Competition over Lille in France, May 28-30. He got a meet result (3-jump score) of 457.79 kph (about 284.50 mph) and a new british record of 468.14 kph (~290.95 mph). Ken Hansen (Norway) and Hervé Diennet (France) finished in 2nd and 3rd place. The field of 21 competitors from England, Norway, France, Sweden, Austria, Switzerland, Australia and Poland set a whole range of national and personal records, as did Calland. He also broke the 500 kph barrier a few days prior to the competition, in practice, with a 508 kph jump. He chased the historic (bench)mark over Lille, and looks to be in record setting shape this year. The race for the official 500 is on! Hibaldstow, Calland rocks!
(500+kph was made official in latter Comp)

well it's still freefallin to me.... except with air brakes. God i knew i shouldn't have used the specific word "freefall" and i know it wasn't from "Space " but close enough. I think he got near 600mph ?
Drouge or not , that's just plain cookin ...without a frying pan ( airplane)

well it's still freefallin to me.... except with air brakes. God i knew i shouldn't have used the specific word "freefall" and i know it wasn't from "Space " but close enough. I think he got near 600mph ?
Drouge or not , that's just plain cookin ...without a frying pan ( airplane)

From Merriam-Webster online dictionary:

One entry found for free fall.

Main Entry: free fall
Function: noun
1 : the condition of unrestrained motion in a gravitational field; also : such motion

But you are right, he was hauling ass. He hit 614 mph and fell for 4 minutes and 36 seconds before his canopy opened.:P

Joe Kittinger
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

i know of some ducks unlimited researchers that have with a radar speed gun, clocked an entire flock of cavasback ducks at 67 miles per hour for more than a couple of miles. thats certainly not asa fast as a diving falcon, but they sure can haul ass and turn around a flagpole and not drop much speed.

brent

~~~~Green grass and high clouds forever~~~~
no matter where you go, there you are!

well it's still freefallin to me.... except with air brakes.

From Merriam-Webster online dictionary:

One entry found for free fall.

Main Entry: free fall
Function: noun
1 : the condition of unrestrained motion in a gravitational field; also : such motion

That definition would seem to preclude a flight suit (or any drag inducing clothing) then. Or jumping in an atmosphere, if we're really going to be hard assed about it.

Is the FALCON is the fastest diving bird...Is it?

Ya see I'm trying to come up with a NICKNAME;) for a head-down/freeflier at my dz...'cause speed's his thing.

Any idea or info for me on this would be REALLY COOL!

Thanx ya all.
:)LiLa.

AMAZON at least in the USA:D:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?