Conundrum

Tipping

I always tip waitstaff, bartenders, delivery guy. However, I do not tip the cup in front of the counter at Starbucks--t hat is ridiculus.

The person I always tip highly though is my hairstylest. The rule is 20% but I usually give her a $20 tip no matter what she does to my hair. If I'm getting a lot done and the bill is 120 then I'll give her 25 or 30...but even if it's just a haircut I always give her at least 20. Now what I get back is priceless to me.. always perfect color, squeezing me in when she's very busy...long, luxurious shampoos with scalp massage, and sometimes for special events or if I call to go in for a blowout, etc she'll do it for free. I tell her no but then she says.. "you take good care of me, let me take care of you.." So I let her..:)

I will leave a generous tip for good service at a restaurant or bar. I give the delivery guy a couple of bucks because I've been there.

I must agree with some of you however, that our culture is far too engrossed in this whole tipping thing.

On more than several occasions in nightclubs I have been basically accosted by these guys in the restrooms who hand you a paper towel and expect a tip. I'm sorry, but I don't really need some weirdo sitting in the bathroom watching me piss and then turning the water on for me. It's fucking weird and I will not tip you.....
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

I always tip very well when deserved, and when service is lousy I usually tip minimally (in order to show that I didn't just forget). That said, when I don't think a monetary tip is deserved I will often leave some sort of brief note something along the lines of "would have been nice to have had more than one refill on water" etc.

Had a waiter complain to me when friends at a different table were obnoxious and didn't tip. He was good, but by no means should have complained to me. I gave him a pretty small tip and left a note that it was totally inappropriate for him to have complained to me. Went back there about a month later and he remembered us, apologized over and over and then gave us our desserts for free.

The other thing that is tough is that everyone has shitty days. If it seems to me like the service isn't that great because someone is just having an off day I will still usually tip pretty well.
Killing threads since 2004.

I also like to try and be unique when possible. When I lived in NY my barber was a big jazz fan, so he used to give me a discount and I would not tip him, but when he wanted to hear some jazz he would let me know and I would get his name on the list at a club so he didn't have to pay the cover.

In the end I think both of us ended up happier than if I were paying full price and he was receiving a few bucks tip.
Killing threads since 2004.

I do tip the guy that checks me in at the curb at Airports. Most times I travel with two bags, and tip $5.00. I figure it's worth not having to stand in line at check in, and if I tip, then I know my bag will make it to the plane.

Then there's the dude who took my bags back to be scanned, let me rephrase: I left them next to the door he needed to toss my bags through. He did proceed to check my bags and as I was walking away, caught me and started to explain to me that as a professional in his industry, he would personally make sure my bags got on the plane, etc., etc, etc...
Well, not being an idiot, I know he didn't have much to do with the bags once he tossed them behind the door. Besides, he didn't do anything more than the ticket agent inside did for me.
Also, I carried the bags to where they needed to be. If the skycap hauls everything in for me, $1 per bag if they aren't overloaded.
Individuals who take jobs in a service industry where part of their salary is based on tips need to know that they're personal performance will reflect in the tips they get. Take care of the customer and they will take care of you.
My personal tipping scale:
Restaurant bad food, bad service - Generally zero, but it also depends on how the server/manager deal with the complaint.
Restaurant OK service - 10%
Restaurant - 15-20% or more - my glass never gets empty, things are picked up quickly when done, even though something gets screwed up (kitchen staff dropped my stuff) they communicate.
Hair - the hair guy gets a gift card at xmas (I'm a guy - there isn't much to do)
Taxi - if they assume they're getting a tip, they get nothing. e.g. meter reads $12, I give them $15, I expect change and then I may give some back. If I hand them $15 and they say thank you, I remind them they need to give me my change and then I don't tip at all.
Pizza guy - $1-$2 (nasty weather - $5-$10 depending on how nasty the weather was and how bad I really didn't want to go out.)

I can't believe noone has said manifest or the pilots. :(
Whenever I go to a beach boogie I tip the manifest heavily and tell them to spread that to the pilot and the people who drive us back from the beach.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Many places don't pay their waiters/waitresses much at all with the expectation that they'll recieve tips to make up for that. I think it should be wrong for businesses to not at least pay their people minimum wage. Some don't, however. I know a place that only pays about $2.50/hour but the waiters/waitresses still make pretty good money. Regardless, I think whatever they get in tip is what they've earned above and beyond the minimum wage their employer should at least be paying them. Anyone who doesn't tip or doesn't tip very well is really screwing them over bad. I tip 20%. That is, if they give good service.

Many places don't pay their waiters/waitresses much at all with the expectation that they'll recieve tips to make up for that

Not only that, but the wait staff usually has to tip out a percentage of what they get to the host/hostess and bartenders.

As far as I'm concerned, doing a shit ass job and pissing me off warants 10%. Because regardless, I got the food and I consider it part of the cost of getting it. Average to good I tip 20%, and great service I tip more.

Not only that, but the wait staff usually has to tip out a percentage of what they get to the host/hostess and bartenders.

I can see that if the host/hostess/bartenders are making stuff up for the waiters/waitresses. Otherwise, that would suck.

As far as I'm concerned, doing a shit ass job and pissing me off warants 10%. Because regardless, I got the food and I consider it part of the cost of getting it. Average to good I tip 20%, and great service I tip more.

I'm usually VERY tolerant and it takes a lot to tick me off when it comes to this. I usually am pretty close to what you stated above. You're right about the shitty service, however. I recently got very crappy service from a very rude waitress. I've never had one this bad. I asked for a Styrofoam cup for my kid instead of the regular adult size plastic cup they give everyone. It's lighter and they can handle it better. She made some rude comments and, in a condescending manner, shook her head as she left the table. The remaining service was reflective of that. I left her a bright shiny quarter in the middle of the table when I left. Tipping less than normal might not give her the message and, if I left nothing at all, she might just think I was a bum. I thought the quarter got the message across. :ph34r:

if you provide me with decent service, a good attitude, maybe a quick converstation, Yea I will tip... but if you dont provide me with decent service, a good attitude, maybe a quick converstation... then FU. CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Its all about perception. my, or your, perception is my, or your, reality
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

ive been waitressing/bartending since HS, all throughout college.

ive never known a place where the servers didnt have to tip out to the bartenders. its usually like 3% of your alcohol sales. to the host/hostess its 3% of your total food sales. tipping the bartender makes sense, but i never understood tipping out the hostess.

i must say though, i made incredible money. over the summer i was bartending on weekends and bringing home over 400 just from tips on friday and saturday night. its good money if you can handle the stress.
Oh Canada, merci pour la livraison!

but if you dont provide me with decent service, a good attitude, maybe a quick converstation... then FU. CUSTOMER SERVICE.

What about the fact that you got the food, period. They're supposed to wait on you for free if they happen to be having a bad day?

i dunno if i agree with that. ive had plenty of bad days, but when i go behind that bar theres a smile on my face. people go out to eat, or drink, expecting good service. they're willing to pay that extra money tipping the person who served them well. my world could be crashing down but if its my job to smile and pour you a drink, then thats what i do. your personal life isnt your customer's problem, and they shouldn't have to settle for bad service, much less tip you for it, just because you're having a bad day.

One of my biggest things is tipping for take out orders. Where I work, we get take out daily. Many of my co-workers balk at adding a dollar for tip.

Take out is a pain in the ass and easy to screw up. I always leave at least $5 to the girls at Mimi's cafe on every take out order and I am a folk hero there. I also tip at least 20% for good service when dining in and I have tipped 100% for really good service. (waiter did magic tricks)For a few extra dollars, you are a hero. If im on a date, I tip big too. Girls like generous guys. Im pretty sure it was the deciding factor in me getting laid a few times.

Mike

I expect to tip something no matter what when I go out. If I don't, then I stay home. If you get your oil changed and then your mechanic gives you a hard time for waiting to long do you not pay him? He did the work. I just don't get people expecting something for nothing and then complaining about other's attitudes. :S

i totally see what you're saying. but when i go to get my oil changed i dont expect smiles and friendly chit chat. i just expect my car to be taken care of. maybe its the types of places ive served at.

i just think that in the bar/restaurant industry your attitude is everything, and if you cant keep your personal life from affecting the way you do your job and handle your customers, you shouldnt be in that industry. your problems aren't your customers problems. they dont you owe you anything you didnt earn.

A server, a delivery person, your hairdresser, a cabbie... the list goes on. Do you tip? Do you believe people should tip?

What is your view on tipping?

Food: 20% for decent service. 25% for good service. 10% if the service was poor but the right food showed up. The right food not showing up and other very bad service gets a talk with the manager asking for a replacement wait person. The replacement gets tipped based on their preformance.

Hair cut: $5-$6.

Food delivery: A few bucks when it was there after a reasonable delay.

Taxis: A couple bucks if service was prompt. If I have to wait too long I'll call, cancel, and get a ride from someone else.

Drinks: $1 each