strop45

Hand signals inside plane

Following on from the tail strike incident, I wondered whether we need a set of commonly understood hand signals - one poster mentioned showing "knuckles". I'm not sure what that would mean.

Even if we just had some "go", "no go" signals it would be useful?
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -- Albert Einstein

Funny... I allways considered an outstreched arm with the hand open hannd pointed up as the universal sign to stop.

I use it to stop people while I am in manifest and I see one of our newer jumpers rushing to the plane and I have a hunch that they haven't recieved a gear check.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

>I wondered whether we need a set of commonly understood hand signals -

I think we have them. I can think of signals for "what are the uppers" "what are the ground winds" "look for traffic/check the spot" "open the door" "close the door" and "hold". For AFF, we also have the "get into position" and "check your altimeter" signal.

(This of course is in addition to the more commonly used signals like "you're a pussy" "you're a bigger pussy" etc.)

>I wondered whether we need a set of commonly understood hand signals -

(This of course is in addition to the more commonly used signals like "you're a pussy" "you're a bigger pussy" etc.)

I think those are 2 fingers pointing up and 2 fingers spread apart pointing up

I think we have them. I can think of signals for "what are the uppers" "what are the ground winds" "look for traffic/check the spot" "open the door" "close the door" and "hold". For AFF, we also have the "get into position" and "check your altimeter" signal.

OK, I'll bite. :)What are these signals?

At my DZ we simply yell. Any hand signals are limited to the supplementary list you mentioned at the bottom of your posting.;)

Thanks!
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Yeah, specifically, US military.

For example, IIRC in the British army that signal would designate the gun team, not stop. Stop or halt in the British army is the familiar vertical flat hand. Presumably "official" hand signals will vary greatly across the globe.

It's not like it matters much for skydiving what signal is used - a US military signal is probably ok - especialy given the number of ex-military peeps in the sport and the fact that the poster's talking about the US... I do wonder though what's wrong with the signal all civilians are familiar with. Surely that would ensure everyone knew what it meant, not just those who have served or watched too many 'nam movies?

Showing "knuckles" means stop. Arm vertical with a closed fist.

News to me. Is that a military thing?

We certainly used that to indicate "Stop" in the SA military, both on the ground (on patrol) and, for example, when directing trucks and other vehicles.

Actually the reporter is incorrect.

Arm raised, fingers extended and joined - is stop and is used by most NATO and US Allied Nations.

The Arm raised and closed fist - is FREEZE and is used in those "OH shit" moments.

Weapon raised and pointed in a particular Direction - I see the enemy, right there! (used to be some crazy inverted weapon thing and can still be found in manuals but who would do that now?)

Weapon raised and pointed in a particular Direction and maken a racket - He sees me too but I got the drop on 'em.

Sources - Ranger Handbook, various Infantry Leaders Manuals and few days in the Army, with one or two in combat.

I recently wokred a Demo wit hsome jumpers i had not worked with before, I used the "stop" hand signal and they understood just fine, we happened to be on oposite ends ofthe Caravan, not big but in the open door and all the noise we understood each other.

I think we have the signals, just use them. If a DZ uses a particular signal teach all the patrons. The big leason is COMMUNICATE.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

I do wonder though what's wrong with the signal all civilians are familiar with. Surely that would ensure everyone knew what it meant, not just those who have served or watched too many 'nam movies?

As a civilian, I've been exposed to the closed fist- meaning stop.

Usually when somebody is directing traffic, cranes, other large vehicles backing up where vision is limited, etc.

Actually the reporter is incorrect.

Arm raised, fingers extended and joined - is stop and is used by most NATO and US Allied Nations.

The Arm raised and closed fist - is FREEZE and is used in those "OH shit" moments.
Matt

http://www.defendamerica.mil/archive/2007-04/20070413pm2.html
I guess it all depends on which side of the pond your on. Not a big deal as long as it works right?

...and few days in the Army, with one or two in combat....

Pahh....a mere star on a CIB and a mustard stain on the wings....novice! :P

I recently wokred a Demo wit hsome jumpers i had not worked with before, I used the "stop" hand signal and they understood just fine

None of those guys were former military? ;)
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

>What are these signals?

Hold - closed fist held up

What are the upper winds? - either just point upwards, or blow on your hand and point upwards.

Look for traffic/spot - point at both eyes (Three Stooges style) then point down

Open the door - pantomime opening the door

Close the door - pantomime closing the door

Check that guy's reserve handle - point to the checker, point at both eyes, point at checkee's reserve handle

AFF signals are AFF signals

Hold - closed fist held up

What are the upper winds? - either just point upwards, or blow on your hand and point upwards.

Look for traffic/spot - point at both eyes (Three Stooges style) then point down

Open the door - pantomime opening the door

Close the door - pantomime closing the door

Check that guy's reserve handle - point to the checker, point at both eyes, point at checkee's reserve handle

AFF signals are AFF signals

Fair enough, but it seems that there are at last two commonly understood signals for stop and the door open/close signals require some interpretation.

Wouldn't it be good if there were universal "open the door", "good to go" and "hold/stop signals"?

I was in a plane where the lights failed, but no one had the group I was jumping with. Someone opened the door and from that point on it was hard to know what the pilot wanted. If there was a simple "good to go" signal which the pilot could have given, it would have simplified the situation.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -- Albert Einstein

I was in a plane where the lights failed

If there was a simple "good to go" signal which the pilot could have given, it would have simplified the situation.

A cowbell won't fail... But it's not a hand signal!

At our DZ most people at the door get the hint when someone, or everyone, is motioning with various points, both hands gesturing in a push motion, etc.
=--{O}------------------{O}---] D.S.#111 VSCR # 123

most people at the door get the hint when someone, or everyone, is motioning with various points, both hands gesturing in a push motion, etc.

The point is that "someone" isn't the same as a positive signal from the pilot. Also people yelling "go" "go" "go" and pointing at the door and people yelling "no" "no" "no" and pointing at the door look very similar if you are in the door....

I was in a plane where the lights failed

If there was a simple "good to go" signal which the pilot could have given, it would have simplified the situation.

A cowbell won't fail... But it's not a hand signal!

At our DZ most people at the door get the hint when someone, or everyone, is motioning with various points, both hands gesturing in a push motion, etc.

in a similar situation we have gotten a simple thumbs up from the pilot everybody should understand that signal
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!