Para5-0

If you do not know how to pack a pullout, ASK!!!!!

3rd. jump of the day and received free of charge a uncocked pilot chute with pull out system. Yes bag stayed in open container due to not enough drag to get it out. Lucky enough to get it out manually and watch it slowly go up into mess. oh yeah it was on a hop and pop with a 2500' deployment.
Can anybody say Beer!

I've never seen a pullout system where the P/C could be checked after the container is closed. All the bridal is packed inside the container.

It's one reason why I cock my P/C, as well as set my own brakes, and un-collapse my slider when using packers.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Why would you give your rig to someone to pack if you weren't sure of their capabilities? Maybe you could ask...do you know how to close a pullout system? Or do you know how to cock a pilot chute? Or even better...cock the pilot chute yourself :)
I wasn't there so I don't understand what the situation was but the title of this thread seems to dismiss any personal responsibility.

Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

Another reason to convert to BOC. I did a couple of hundred jumps using a pullout in the 80s. Changed to BOC and will never go back.

There could be a good reason to have pull-out.
Like speedskydiving, I have heard that spandex BOC might release over 400km/h. I think you would exchange the risk to having a not-cocked PC than having a premature opening with free-fall speed over 400km/h.

>I have heard that spandex BOC might release over 400km/h.

Yep. An old spandex BOC might allow a pilot chute to escape at high speeds. Of course, a pullout might do precisely the same thing; at those speeds, a combination of a cruddy pud pocket and low closing loop tension could result in a premature opening.

It is far better to have a well-maintained version of either system than a poorly maintained version of either.

As with any other system, there are pluses and minuses to both systems. I've jumped both with good success.

One of the local guys had his BOC converted to a pullout because his arthritis is so bad he can't reach behind his back. Of course he's old enough to be my grandfather.

So did the main end up deploying? Or did it get chopped?

-Michael

One of the local guys had his BOC converted to a pullout because his arthritis is so bad he can't reach behind his back. Of course he's old enough to be my grandfather.

So did the main end up deploying? Or did it get chopped?

-Michael

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me - isn't the pullout pud located in the same place as the handle in a BOC rig?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

>So did the main end up deploying? Or did it get chopped?

When?

> One of the local guys had his BOC converted to a pullout because
>his arthritis is so bad he can't reach behind his back.

A BOC is in the same location as a pullout. In that case, an ROL pilotchute or even a lift-webbing ripcord might be an option. If it's his right arm, a left hand deploy could help.

[reply even a lift-webbing ripcord might be an option. If it's his right arm, a left hand deploy could help.

Ripcords are great, very dependable and very secure. I think that would be the best answer for someone with joint, flexibility, or strength issues. I find my pullout takes a much stronger grip to deploy than a throw out. I wouldn't change to a pull out if arthritis was an issue.

[reply even a lift-webbing ripcord might be an option. If it's his right arm, a left hand deploy could help.

Ripcords are great, very dependable and very secure. I think that would be the best answer for someone with joint, flexibility, or strength issues. I find my pullout takes a much stronger grip to deploy than a throw out. I wouldn't change to a pull out if arthritis was an issue.

Agreed!
Especially when you consider that any decent main pilot chute will pull 80 pounds plus on the closing pin.
The extra muscle - required to pull pull-outs - has caused a lot of shoulder low, marginally stable deployments that spun up.
There is a good reason that pull-outs are only five percent of the market.

I always though that when using packers, one is to set the brakes, uncollapse the slider and cock the PC. I've only used packers <5 times and did it everytime. What did the Packer say about it?
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

My Odyssey has the pull out pad on velcro under the tuck flap. That takes a little more force than pulling a hackey from a spandex pocket, but not so much if peeled rather than pulled. It has never yet been knocked out of position in the plane though.

To elaborate a bit. It was Friday the 13th, first off, and I was doing 40 jumps in a row for Make A Wish, so I had a person taking rig off and one putting rig on. Prior to that a safety Officer was checking gear and after I put it on checked it again. There is no way to tell if a pullout is cocked or not visually. The point being is that the colapsed pilot chute on a pull out system is not a good malfunction. Not that any are good but it is a pilot chute in tow with an open container. chop/reserve, reserve? Luckily the Dbag came out of the container allowing a chop.

It seems to me, this incident had very little to do with deployment method and everything to do with an uncocked PC. I know you can't check the "indicator" on a pull-out. But, they are notorious for the color not showing in the window after a few hundred jumps anyway. If you had been jumping a BOC, you more than likely would have had a PC in tow. So what's the difference?

In an event of this type, using multiple rigs and multiple packers, wouldn't it make more since to use non-collapsible PCs instead of kill-lines.
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

In an event of this type, using multiple rigs and multiple packers, wouldn't it make more since to use non-collapsible PCs instead of kill-lines.

Than you can restrict yourself with canopies over 200 sqft.

Towing a live PC is something like towing a big ass anchor with your canopy.

There was a time when I had a special kill-line system. It pulled the pin inside the bride on collapse. 10% of the jump it did not collapse and I had terrible landing on even a 150sqft canopy.

There was a time when I had a special kill-line system. It pulled the pin inside the bride on collapse. 10% of the jump it did not collapse and I had terrible landing on even a 150sqft canopy.

Hate to chime in but that's not the fault of the inflated pilot chute. In inflated pilot chute can be an issue with some canopies but not on a 150 Sabre.

Anyway, gear in general is very simple. Not understanding it is a choice. Packers pack because they need/want money, not because they necessarily know what they're doing. Some of the worst pack jobs I've witnessed were from a professional boogie packing vendor.

Regardless, a pilot chute is cocked or it's not cocked. NO skydver should be unaware of this.

If you tie a GI-Joe to a collapsed pilot chute and throw it in the air what's going to happen? GI-Joe streamers in. That would be an incorrect configuration.

Now use a cocked pilot chute and GI-Joe lands under an inflated Pilot chute. That is a correct configuration.

Be sure that it's configured correctly for the GI-Joe before you pack it away.

Good luck

You're welcome for the lame analagy.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Hate to chime in but that's not the fault of the inflated pilot chute. In inflated pilot chute can be an issue with some canopies but not on a 150 Sabre.

If a canopy does not flare as it suppose to be thats an issue for me. I would not use non-collapsible PC on any of my gear.