moth

worried girlfriend

although she bought me my first ever jump for my birthday a couple of years ago my girlfriend does not really like me going skydiving, because of the risks. i try to tell her it will be ok and i could get run over by a bus tomorrow and all that but no she wont have it. does anyone else out there get the same grief for just doing the sport they love.what can i say to reassure her?

First off if your profile is correct, 23 jumps in two years, your risk is high.

Get more current, then she might relax a bit.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Everybody seems to think it's either your SO or skydiving. Why not enjoy both? You just have to make time for both.
I was doing AFF when I met my wife and she was always scared when I went to jump, I bought her a tandem and she was still nervous but it hooked her. Now she is working towards getting her A and trying to catch up with me in jump #'s

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.
Pelt Head #3

tell her its not the skydiving that is dangerous...its the beer that you drink afterwards.:ph34r:

oh and being current is a good thing. I am having trouble with that myself. Jump a lot then get deployed overseas...come home jump a lot and do it all over again.

and some people arent spoiled with those turbine angels:(

"Believe me! The secret of reaping the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment from life is to live dangerously!"
-- Friedrich Nietzsche

Clearly you need a girlfriend who is a skydiver. :P

Eh but seriously, I get grief from my parents, although at my age there's not a lot they can do about it. Once they understood my reasons, we've agreed to disagree, but I know they'd be happier if I didn't go.

It helps in my case that I actually *have* been run over by a bus (well, a car, but at its rate of speed the result was about the same) and so I know, all too well, that I dodged a bullet that day and life could indeed be too short.

If people give me crap about the dangers of skydiving, I pull that one out ... I was minding my bidness engaging in "low risk" behavior that day (crossing a street in a crosswalk with a light) and it coulda killed me. Who knows what's eventually gonna get me? I plan to live it fully in the meantime.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

well you gals bleed for 7 days every month for around 70 years.
That is over 5000 days in a lifetime you are bleeding.
And his girlfriend is worried about him jumping out of a plane? give me a break.:P
Us men need something to show we have bigger balls thatn you gals.
And for the females that skydive, well now you understand why you get so much attention at the dz, we are scared.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

what can i say to reassure her?

Tell her she should be worried because you can die on any skydive. You can also get seriously fucked up on any skydive. Don't try to reason with her because it won't work. Instead, confirm all of her fears, which are IMHO pretty legitimate. Then explain to her why you feel that the risks are worth taking. Hopefully she'll understand and accept the risks you are taking. More importantly, first try to justify to yourself why you think skydiving is worth getting crippled or dying. Then explain to her why you feel you're willing to risk seriously changing your life just to jump out of a plane.

BTW, If I were you i'd be more worried if she DIDN'T care. I'd check to see if she's taken out a life-insurance policy. :P

Gotta go... plaything needs to spank me
Feel the hate...
Photos here

Thank God I got divorced before I started because
I would be now if not. My last Girlfriend gave me the
"skydiving or me". thingy. I am sure we all know the
answer to that one!!:ph34r:

Been there too.....my reply........"Okay, see ya!!" :)

Glad my baby has more jumps than me! B|;)

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

all I gotta say is that I had 3 friends within one week dump their significant other because they had a problem with them skydiving. I had a pretty rocky spell w/ mine for a bit and the solution was to get her involved. then she got all crazy about the sport and bought me some skydiving stuff, man, there's a hookup for you.

Priorities...if they won't accept it, it's time to go. Mine calmed down after about 50 jumps

edit: on second thought just dump her man, more money and time for skydiving!!!!

BE THE BUDDHA!

My ex-wife freaks out that I still skydive. She thinks that since I'm remarried and have a kid I should stop doing all this crazy chit.:S

My wife thinks it's great that I have something I enjoy so much. My kid loves it. If I take a week and go to Rantoul she has no problem with it.:)

Easy for you to say with 44 jumps in 2 years. Who would I make time for both (If my SO were a whuffo) doing 900 dives in 2 years, weekends only?

t

I'm with Tonto on that one. Being a weekend jumper and going at around 400 jumps a year in a country with bad weather means there isn't really time to spare. Work all week, jump all weekend.

It's really simple. Decide what you want. Do it. Accept the consequences. If you can't do the latter, don't do the former :P.

She must like you tons to worry about you so you are very lucky! Being worried isn't such a bad thing. I know my parents worry about me but I make sure they know it's not going to stop me before reassuring them that the risk level is actually very low compared to crossing the road etc.