DrunkMonkey

Cockatiels

Do NOT get a bird for a pet, especially a cockatiel. I lived with some for a year... Damn things never shut up. Chirping in the morning, chirping at night, and when they see you they go apeshit on the chirping.

Lived with a parrot for a year too (same roommate, different bird :S) and that thing would never shut up either. Except it squaked and yelled. It could talk a little so it would keep yelling "Hello birdy" and shit like that.

Get a dog.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams

I had a cockatiel for a long time that was just like one of the family. He would climb out of his cage using a little plastic ladder and wander around the house. He would sing the Mr Rogers theme song. He was an excellent pet. He was 14 when he choaked on a piece of cuttlebone and died.

Mine would chirp back at the wild birds when I'd leave the windows open but he wasn't as noisy as a little yip-yip dog that barks all the time.

He wasn't smelly at all but sometimes liked to get in his seed dish and throw birdseed on the floor while digging for that special seed.
---
Some days it's not even worth the effort to chew through the restraints.

A friend is offering his pet cockatiel for free adoption, w/all the bird's kit.

Why is the friend getting rid of it? It might do some of the things mentioned in this thread and then you'll be the one trying to get rid of it in a few weeks!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I've heard that birds have extremely long life spans. I don't think you should take one in unless you are prepared to make a long term commitment to it. Of course the same can be said for adopting any pet, but birds can live far longer than most other pets.

I have 2 Cockatiels and recommend them to people looking for a pet bird that is smarter than a budgie (parakeet) or finch, but not as high maintenance as a larger parrot. They are very affectionate with people that have bonded with them and understand a bit of bird psychology.

However, if birds annoy you, it's much better for you and the bird to pass on this offer.

We've got a bird larger than the one you a talking about - a Macaw. Its a commitment. There great to have around and a big pain in the ass at the same time - its like having a two year old with feathers.

:SB|
"there's a fine line between hobby and mental illness"

Like a monkey, you simply cannot teach a bird to not shit everywhere either.

OH MY GOD!

That is funny on so many different levels. I'll probably be laughing about that comment all night!
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Like a monkey, you simply cannot teach a bird to not shit everywhere either

Not True. It takes a lot more time and effort than with a dog but our conure will let us know when he needs to go (he does the pee pee dance) so we can put him back on his cage or perch (his wings are clipped so he can't fly) He also goes in the toilet in the mornings. He will wait until we take him. He will sqawk to let us know he needs to go.

Birds are great pets. They become very much a part of the family and have great personalities, but they also have their downsides. Some birds, not all, are chewers so you have to watch for that. There is not getting around the fact that they are messy. They drop their food all over the floor. I would recommend a cage with a seed catcher around the bottom. Some birds are very loud. Cockatiels tend not to be. They make noise all the time but it's not loud.

Rhonda

I was thinking the same damm thing Rev!

ROTFLMAO!!!!

Damn, you really do have a cool sense of humor (or is it humour up there?)

OK, today I resolve to be niceto Remi, but that does not apply as a blanket resolution to all Canadians. ;)
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

We've got a bird larger than the one you a talking about - a Macaw. Its a commitment. There great to have around and a big pain in the ass at the same time - its like having a two year old with feathers.

:SB|

More like a two year old with ADHD. Great pets, but also require a huge commitment. What type of Macaw do you have? We have a blue and gold.

You didn't happen to see the parrot sketch on last week's SNL did you?

THAT'S EXACTLY what it is like to live with a bird.

That was -so- funny! And you're right...exactly what it's like (with a large bird). My grandfather had a parrot that would, as soon as let out of it's cage, chase my mom around the house..shrieking and trying to bite her leg. Then when she was 'tree-ed' up on a chair the bird would circle like a hungry tiger, bobbing it's head up and down.

That SNL skit was priceless!

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon