AggieDave

Almost had to lay down my bike

Another problem I've noticed pretty often on my bike:

People who think that driving 2" behind your rear wheel will get them somewhere faster when you're stuck in traffic anyway.

What the fuck are they thinking? I've actually had some of them go as far as to beep at me and give me the finger because I was making a right turn and they felt that I was slowing them down or something :S

Yeah ... I hate tailgaters too. What I sometimes do in a situation like this, if I can do it safely, is to start counterstearing like crazy from one side of the lane to the other. Usually scares the crap out of the tailgater and they back off ... try it sometime, it can be fun :D:ph34r::ph34r:

Glad to hear you're OK and you handled the situation -

I learned real quick when I started that once you get on a bike EVERYONE in a car is out to get you. I ride very defensively. Tailgaters are one of my biggest worries, along with the fool who's going to run a red light or pull out in fromt of you.

Definitely scope out your tires just in case. Can't be too careful!

Easy Does It

Well, I just checked my tires a little bit ago when I got home. They seem fine, a very very very slight flat spot, but I didn't even notice any vibrations on the highway riding home.

*shrug*

I'll keep my eye on it just in case, though.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I hate fuckers who cross more than one lane at a time...

I had an 18 wheeler do that to me once... punk motherfucker...

Glad you didn't wipe out.

That is so right. On friday night I was heading down the freeway on my bike and I came up on two 18 wheelers, sidebyside one in the left lane and one in the right. I was in the middle. They were going about 60 on the freeway and I continued my 65-70 cruising speed. As I started to pull in between them at the very back, I started to get some weird vibes, so I backed off. I had my hands on the front brake as well as the horn. Sure enough, the idiot on the left just started coming over to the middle lane. No blinker, no waiting or whatever. I immediately slammed on the brakes and blasted that little tiny horn as hard as I could press it. I guess he either heard it or saw me, because he immediately swerved back into his lane. The blast from the back of his truck almost sent me into the next lane. Needless to say, I backed off, flashed him and let him come over. Then I moved over to the left and got out of there.
That has got to be my biggest pet peeve, those 18 wheelers that just cut over. And a close second is the wind buffet when you are behind one on a bike.
And the automatic left turn traffic signals that don't ever turn, because the bike is not heavy enough to trip the sensor at the intersection.
Wait a minute, why do I ride a bike again?:S

Speeding tickets? Glad to see you still drive like a South African :P:)

The opposite of the road thing was what got me when i was over there. I'd be in the passenger seat of a car, we'd go round a corner and my arms would be up in front of my face :D:$

Yep, i got laughed at a lot.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

Glad you are ok dave - sounds like a lucky escape and sharp reactions on your part. Last time i fell off the guy (in a big van) actually saw me coming and aimed for me, knocked me off, ran over my foot, stopped, looked..... and drove off!!:SB| One knackered foot and written off bike later....

With the tyres, you might be ok as i doubt the tyres on your scooter (that phrase always makes me laugh :D) are soft racing tyres but probably best to check em out.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Glad you're okay Dave, those multi lane slides used to scare the poop out of me in H-town.

Malachi gave some good advice, ride like your invisible, or something along those lines. Alternatively, ride as if everyone else is trying to kill you.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

ride as if everyone else is trying to kill you.

I generally do and have avoided situations that way (especially riding in downtown Houston and downtown Dallas AND downtown Ft. Worth), but this one pretty much snuck up on me. Which is annoying because I didn't catch it before it happened and annoying that it happened.

Oh, my bike is pretty damned loud, I'm surprised he didn't hear me as well, but then again, the stupid fucker had no idea anything was amis until I pulled up next to him yelling and flipping him off.

(side note: AggieDave in full leathers looks scary, AggieDave in full leathers yelling in his "corps of cadets" voice IS scary ;)):P

And for the record, it has nothing to do with cross multiple lanes. I go from entrance ramp to hammer lane in one fast arc on my bike all the time, and cross multiple lanes in my car. It has everything to do with being aware of all the angles.

I don't buy that at all....
Riding a bike is no different to jumping - you can do everying right and still die.

The trick is to ride predictably - you put an indicator on and someone will expect you to change lanes (if they see you. They are far less likely to expect you to burn across all 3 lanes and therefore you are in more danger. Add the extra area of space you have to be aware of and crossing multiple lanes in one go adds a shit load of danger...

It has less to do with how good you are and more to do with how aware everyone else is...

Ah. I can tell you've never ridden or driven in Dallas. If you simply drive predictably you will get run the hell over. You have drive very agressively to keep from getting run over or reduced to 50mph in the right lane.

It also makes you want to carry ball bearings in your pocket to drop behind you sometimes.

My point was that someone in this thread connected this to 'multiple lane changes' That just doesn't make any sense.
Why?
1.This guy never saw David
2.Based on geometry, your worst blind spot is in the lane next to you, of your rear quarter.

I stated it had to do with being aware....if you slide multiple lanes and are aware of all of them, then you have far less chance of hitting someone, than someone who slide one and is not aware. The key is awareness.

I disagree very much with your premise. Riding predictably does nothing, if someone doesn't see you. They never predict point b, cause they never saw point a. At that point, I want to be damn good, and either evade or brake (never do both).

Anyway, I would much rather use my brain cycles to analyze other drivers predictability, and if they are driving eradically, then I avoid the radius of their effect. If they are erradict, my awareness is of much greater effect than my predictability.

As far as me doing multi pane slides, particularly on a bike I have no blind spot whatsoever. In the DFW area, merging into traffic from an entrance is treacherous...particularly on a bike, and particularly if it is a combined entrance1, exit 2 ramp. In that case, I want out of those two right lanes absolutely as fast as possible. Therefore, IF there is a gap in traffic, i turn on the signal (while still on the ramp) pivot at the waist to look, give a full left arm signal, break left and roll on hard. That puts me out of harms way, and in the left hand lane with a full sholder to use if I need it.
--
All the flaming and trolls of wreck dot with a pretty GUI.