Jkralovec

Smallest most aerodynamic container?

I'm looking for a small, aerodynamic container as I plan on piecing together my first rig in the next few months.

I currently rent and as a Freeflyer, I feel that a large, bulky container interferes with my free flying.

What is a small, aerodynamic container made for a guy that weighs 125 pounds and is designed for freeflying?

I'm looking for a small, aerodynamic container as I plan on piecing together my first rig in the next few months.

I currently rent and as a Freeflyer, I feel that a large, bulky container interferes with my free flying.

What is a small, aerodynamic container made for a guy that weighs 125 pounds and is designed for freeflying?

Good question. Just like all your other ones. You will get as many opinions as there will be replies to this thread.

containers have nothing to do with your weight. They have very little to do with your height either.

Pretty much all the mainstream modern container are designed with freelying in mind.

The reason I mentioned weight is to allow you to predict canopy size.

I really don't want to get into an argument over what I will be flying at the time I buy my rig, but for arguments sake, lets say a zpx 135 only to fly smaller and smaller canopies as I gain experience.

Aren't there different sizes of container to accommodate smaller canopies?

The reason I mentioned weight is to allow you to predict canopy size.

I really don't want to get into an argument over what I will be flying at the time I buy my rig, but for arguments sake, lets say a zpx 135 only to fly smaller and smaller canopies as I gain experience.

Aren't there different sizes of container to accommodate smaller canopies?

ZPX is a type of material, not a canopy model.

containers are sized to the main/reserve combo
harnesses are sized to the person, majorly depending on the height.

best knowledge comes from reading and talking to competent people WHO YOU KNOW (not random internet folks), not from posting.

If you think that the rig is interfering with your freeflying then you need to freefly better. If I wanted to I could fly head down stable with a tandem rig on my back and so could any freeflier that has put the time and effort into to really learning to fly their body. The size of the rig on your back has very little to do with how well you freefly.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

If you think that the rig is interfering with your freeflying then you need to freefly better. If I wanted to I could fly head down stable with a tandem rig on my back and so could any freeflier that has put the time and effort into to really learning to fly their body. The size of the rig on your back has very little to do with how well you freefly.

That! :)
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I'll freefly better then!

+1

and I really think with only 50 jumps you should really be focusing on your belly and air awarness (jmho) I've seen too many freeflyers at my low jump numbers that can not track well, fly on their belly well, and do not know what is going on around them.... scary. Again, this is coming from a guy with less than 200 jumps! Just think what these people look like to a real upjumper.

that said many rigs will accomodate both disciplines just fine.
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

+1

and I really think with only 50 jumps you should really be focusing on your belly and air awarness (jmho) I've seen too many freeflyers at my low jump numbers that can not track well, fly on their belly well, and do not know what is going on around them.... scary. Again, this is coming from a guy with less than 200 jumps! Just think what these people look like to a real upjumper.

that said many rigs will accomodate both disciplines just fine.

+1 - me too.

@OP - Go read your first rig thread again. You're rushing ahead which is great because enthusiasm for the sport is a good thing but you should be discussing these ideas and plans with a trusted & experienced person at CK.

You *may* get a different reaction to your questions if you phrase them differently too. Asking for an aerodynamic rig so that it won't affect your free flying is one way, another way to ask would be "Does rig design affect my ability to free fly?".

How about any newer container that will hold a 170 main and reserve?

You weigh 135 - your rig and other accessories will come to at least 20 pounds, if not more. Figure an exit weight of 155 - 160 pounds.

And if you're planning on sticking to freeflying, you might want to consider dacron lines on your canopies - opening in a sit or head down can have adverse effects on your structural integrity.

Not that you'll be doing that.

Be safe - the sky isn't going anywhere.
T.I.N.S.

I guess those containers from the last Star Trek movie would be best. Call Hollywood!

Not sure you can optimize aerodynamics for all forms of FF. HD is not the same as sit or stand. Rentals will rarely fit as well as a custom fitted one, and that probably gets you the most gain for the least effort.

People love small for the cool factor, but that's its own set of problems, particularly with undersized reserves. PD and Aerodyne's low volume fabrics give people better options, but some will just go even smaller.

How about any newer container that will hold a 170 main and reserve?

You weigh 135 - your rig and other accessories will come to at least 20 pounds, if not more. Figure an exit weight of 155 - 160 pounds.

And if you're planning on sticking to freeflying, you might want to consider dacron lines on your canopies - opening in a sit or head down can have adverse effects on your structural integrity.

Not that you'll be doing that.

Be safe - the sky isn't going anywhere.

Why would anyone want to OPEN in a sit or head down position? :o

Whatever happen to stable belly, arch, reach, pull?
"Fail, fail again. Fail better."
-Samuel Beckett

... opening in a sit or head down can have adverse effects on your structural integrity. - Gato

:D:D:D Well put!

And yeah, stick with a 170 or so for another couple hundred jumps. Only folks who are operating at a national-competition level of performance need things like tiny canopies, removable deployment systems, or even mini-risers, for that matter.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan

The rental gear may not be as well fitting as you might like/need. If the laterals are loose the rig will 'swim' around in freefall.

If you get a custom harness, it will be made for you and the container will not move around so much.

As a low time jumper, you will not be able to have the small container that you want for some time yet, but you can have a comfortable, safe and functional rig.

I would suggest a vector micron, not the cheapest option out there but you get what you pay for.

Take a look at karnagekrew.com for potentially the best retail prices around.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix