billvon

Number 3

Just got awarded patent #3, for a way to enter text into a phone that doesn't involve pushing the 5 button 3 times to get an L. I always hated that. It's patent number 6,822,852 (there are a lot of patents out there.)

So far the old truism "have an idea, get a patent, make a million dollars" hasn't come true (there's a big step between part 2 and part 3 of that formula) but the Qualcomm bonus is nice. Qualcomm encourages patent filings because they get the rights to the patents, and most of QC's value is in its IP. We have a patent wall downstairs covered with plaques that has something like 800 patents on it. Pretty impressive to see that many when they're displayed like that.

That's awesome.

The only patents I have are shoes, and no, you can't look at them and see what's under my skirt :)
Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Awesome for you, and very good for me too.... I think you might be making me a safer driver... (linz looks up from typing and swerves back onto the right side fo the road). :S

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

>what about all of our lovely special characters like @.,)(*&^%$#!~`" and our numbers too...

Pick a key combination and assign them. The assignments I came up with made sense to me because I mostly enter text, but other people may well want other combinations.

We have a patent wall downstairs covered with plaques that has something like 800 patents on it. Pretty impressive to see that many when they're displayed like that.

I remember when you showed me that and I've told a lot of people about it. It IS quite impressive and so are you, Bill! B|
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I just told my daughter about your accomplishments. She said, "don't ever introduce him to me, I'll feel so stupid." :ph34r:
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Congrats..but I have a question.

I know on my phone that if I set it when typing a text message to T9Word, all I have to do is hit the button once. If I need to wright 'you' I hit you. It automatically displays the most common word used when that combination of buttons is hit in a row. If it is not the right word, i hit next. Is this about the same?

*edited for grammar

Congratulations!!! Not too many of us out here.

I've been inventing most of my life. I have four patents and my AICommand system will probably yield a few more. Unfortunately, I had to pay for them all myself.

Can you imagine that Edison had 1049 patents?!

You idea is way cool, by the way.
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper

Just got awarded patent #3, for a way to enter text into a phone that doesn't involve pushing the 5 button 3 times to get an L. I always hated that. It's patent number 6,822,852 (there are a lot of patents out there.)

Maybe everyone here already knows it, but I'll ask the newbie question: "what were #1 and #2?"
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Isn't that just chording on a handheld?

I would have thought the references in the provided link would constitute prior art that would invalidate the patent. That said, I'm not the greatest fan of the USPTOs current working practices.

And you really do like the word plurality, don't you? :P

>I would have thought the references in the provided link would
>constitute prior art that would invalidate the patent.

Hasn't been used in mobile communication devices, nor has it been done interactively with programmable changing definitions on the device display itself. The basic idea (chord keyboards) has been around for a while, of course - ever since the first piano, and more recently in devices like the Twiddler (replacement chording IBM-PC keyboard.)

Interesting side note - in 1978, Jalbert patented airlocks in ram-air canopies. Germain re-patented them about 20 years later by just describing them differently.

>And you really do like the word plurality, don't you?

Boilerplate. Our laywer rewrote it according to their boilerplate application; all our patents look like that.